Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Greg M. on 16 August, 2014, 11:02:07 AMThe Death card - always my favourite, and present in the second link - has a really unexpected origin. [spoiler](The clip suggests it's an alien from the Logan's Run tv series.)[/spoiler]

That's actually something I've seen mentioned in contemporary books, but don't recall ever seeing any actual footage of.  To YouTube!

Later...

What an awful theme tune.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Greg M.

I've done a bit more research and the image referenced on the youtube link seems to be this chap:

But apart from the link, I've not seen anything to say he was actually in a tv show - he appears to just be a 70s monster mask from Don Post Studios. Pretty cool though. I tried to paint him in an art class in primary school, but the art teacher wasn't keen on my stark black and yellow colour scheme and tried to stick in lots of green and red background mottling. I wasn't having any of that.

Richmond Clements

Those cards bring back memories!
The Freak one looks to be based on The Reptile from the old Hammer movie.

Steve Green

Was there a 'fashion sense' category that was dropped at the last moment?

TordelBack

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere before, but it was (welcome) news to me!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 August, 2014, 07:59:54 PM

Was there a 'fashion sense' category that was dropped at the last moment?

Well, obviously, that picture is of Godzilla in disguise.  He must have been trying to get closer to Tokyo before they started blasting him with that recycled footage of laser cannons firing!  It's the last thing you'd expect, after all!  He's not called King of the Monsters for nothing, you know.

Looking at it, he appears to be wearing a trenchcoat with the collar turned up as well as the bow tie.

Weird.

Steve Green

Maybe he was auditioning for Doctor Who.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 August, 2014, 07:52:33 PM

Actually, I was going to suggest that the clothes look a bit like something Pertwee's Doctor would have worn!

Steve Green

It certainly would have been an interesting new direction for the show...

radiator

Quote from: Official Hawkeye Pierce Action Figure on 17 August, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere before, but it was (welcome) news to me!

SOLD

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 August, 2014, 08:40:35 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 17 August, 2014, 07:52:33 PM

Actually, I was going to suggest that the clothes look a bit like something Pertwee's Doctor would have worn!

Aha!  I've finally realised exactly what that Godzilla picture reminded me of...

http://thequaequamblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Ancient Otter

Looks like Munchkin Apocalypse: Judge Dredd is only a fifteen card booster pack for the Munchkin games.

Colin YNWA

Okay reading Garth Ennis' War Stories 1 really reminded me of an old game I used to love which I think (from a Google search) was called B-17 Queen of the Skies. Anyone remember it... or more to the point know if there were any other similar games. See I've looked at some pictures and while some if it rings bells some bits don't?

I seem to remember a big grid mission sheet for the 25 missions you were attempting to fly. Its almost certainly the right game just my mind playing tricks?

Anyway anyone else remember this one. It was bloomin' great as I (unreliably) recall.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 October, 2014, 09:32:37 PM
Okay reading Garth Ennis' War Stories 1 really reminded me of an old game I used to love which I think (from a Google search) was called B-17 Queen of the Skies. Anyone remember it... or more to the point know if there were any other similar games. See I've looked at some pictures and while some if it rings bells some bits don't.

I've never played but I've heard of it and there are a few games in the same style like B-29 Superfortress, The Hunters: German U-Boats at War 1939-43 and Thunderbolt Apache Leader.

Check out the Solitaire Wargames list on boardgamegeek.com for more.

radiator

I've been playing Cards Against Humanity a bit recently, and that can be a lot of fun with the right group of people and plenty of booze.

I'm not so much into the cards that try a bit too hard to be funny/shocking in and of themselves (and tend to think that it would be a better/funnier game without them*), opting instead to come up with combinations that are more creative/surreal, but that's more my sense of humour. Some people I've played with insist on making everything very literal, which usually isn't that funny in my experience.

*I know several people who would probably really enjoy the game, but I wouldn't personally introduce them to it for fear of them getting offended by one or two of the hackier/nastier cards in the deck, which is a shame.

Tried a quick practice game of Love Letter the other day. It's OK, but rounds seem to end suddenly, often randomly. I suspect it's much more fun when played with more than two players.

Also managed to get in a full game of Ticket To Ride a few weeks ago, which was good stuff. I'm buying some copies for families for Christmas, hopefully get a few games in then.