Main Menu

2000ad nominated for an Eisner

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 April, 2013, 09:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

There's a list of the nominations for this years Eisners over at Bleeding Cool and much to my delight 2000ad has been nominated in the best Anthology category

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/16/the-eisner-nominations-2013-fantagraphics-get-twenty-four-dc-comics-gets-two/

Has 2000ad been nominated for an Eisner before? I don't recall it being, but that might well be my ignorance.

So either way YAY 2000ad!

Mabs

That is great news indeed - i hope 2000ad wins best anthology, because quite simply, it is the best.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

LARF

Got to be 2000AD amongst that bunch, all the rest are, well, just erm... bland*?

* I did at first put 'shit' but felt that was a tad unfair.

Spikes

What Mabs said.
Likewise what Colin said about whether or not it has ever been nominated before. Still, nice news - and fingers crossed.

Molch-R

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 April, 2013, 09:32:45 PM
Has 2000ad been nominated for an Eisner before?

We don't believe it has been.

DrJomster

Excellent news and well done Team for raising the profile! :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Link Prime

Very good news.
Would be surprising if 2000AD doesn't pick it up IMO.

hippynumber1

Surprising and massively disappointing, given the competition.

Colin YNWA

The trouble is given that its a judges panel that decides its really based on the whims of the six people (I think it is) that make up that panel.

I have to be honest I don't know a thing about 3 of the entries there (Dark Horse Presents being the other one I know about), but from the limited amount I've seen from a very quick search on each they do seem to have the 'indie' credentials that have appealed to the Eisners in the past. Which is not to say any or all of them don't fully deserve to win as well, as I simply don't know, or for that matter that there's the slightest thing wrong with 'indie' credentials either for that matter! As for Dark Horse Presents a lot of very popular things have come out of the series and again its possibly seen as a more Eisner 'typical' (Christ what do I mean by all this!) type comic.

The other thing I do find a little strange is how this is meant to be judged. 2000ad is a weekly comic producing, what some 1400 plus pages a year. Dark Horse Presents is a monthly producing say 900 pages. No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics, Nobrow #7 and Where is Dead Zero? all appear to be one off of varying lengths 300 - 100 ish by a very quick look. It a bit like having a music category of best complication and judging a 4 track e.p. alongside an album and a double album. They are very different beasts and the results and way they need to be examined very different therefore...

...or am I over thinking this!

Molch-R

The anthology isn't as widespread as it once was, so it's hardly surprising that there's a diversity of formats within one category. However, the main voting is by creators from the wider industry so fingers crossed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 April, 2013, 10:47:18 AM
However, the main voting is by creators from the wider industry so fingers crossed.

YIKE - sorry did not realise that...

Bubba Zebill

Best isn't good enough. Greatest or nothing.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Colin YNWA

Nice little bit of coverage from Bleeding Cool about why 2000ad has a nomination this year, rather than in the past. The answer is surprisingly simple!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/17/the-eisner-awards-youve-got-to-be-in-it-to-win-it/

Colin YNWA

Alas 2000ad lost out to Dark Horse Presents. You could kinda see it coming but a real shame. Still the nomination was the thing and there's always next year.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2013, 10:07:04 AM
Alas 2000ad lost out to Dark Horse Presents. You could kinda see it coming but a real shame. Still the nomination was the thing and there's always next year.

I had a credit in DHP this year and nothing in 2000AD. Just sayin', Tharg... ;-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.