Main Menu

Prog 1917 - Execution of Duty

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 07 February, 2015, 12:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janus stark

I think the image you've posted has had the brightness turned up, my copy is a lot darker. I think its the darkess cover ever .

robert_ellis

Love the artwork on Orlok but doesn't the fact its a prequel ruin any tension? I'm not really interested in young Anderson or any prequels in general unless they directly relate to an ongoing story like Origins.

ZenArcade

Now that is a real badassed cover. Cheers Eamonn. Lets have some reviews lads and lassies. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

A.Cow

Quote from: janus stark on 07 February, 2015, 12:46:14 PM
I think the image you've posted has had the brightness turned up, my copy is a lot darker. I think its the darkess cover ever .

Mine is not only darker but missing the Moiré pattern too.  I demand a refund!   ;)

sheridan

I don't recognise the art style - is that Jake Lynch's work (doesn't quite match up to his black and white work in my mind, but use of paints / colour CG may have made the difference).

Magnetica

Quote from: robert_ellis on 07 February, 2015, 01:56:02 PM
Love the artwork on Orlok but doesn't the fact its a prequel ruin any tension?

Not for me no. I don't need to know a character could die or need to think some world changing event could happen to enjoy the story.

For example I liked the Strontium Dog stories that were set as flashbacks and knowing Johnny wouldn't die (in those stories) didn't matter. It becomes more about how they resolve the current situation than any "world changing events".

Also I find when I re-read stories I still enjoy them even, when knowing the outcome and just enjoy them for what they are.

Steve Green

I think you've just got to enjoy the resolution of how a character gets out of situation, not whether they will.

I loved the flashback Stront stories, it didn't matter to me that we knew the two leads were doomed (at the time)

Colin YNWA

Yeah to be honest you almost always know the hero is going to survive in a story - the exceptions are of course thrilling, but rare - so the tension is in the how. The not knowing is more often than not an illusion (though I guess its an easier an illusion if its possible).

Anyway on the cover Eamnonn's thread grab version is much brighter and I have to say much better for it. Its a little too dark to have impact on the actual comic, shame as the digital version is very nice.

Inside (at last) I really enjoyed that Prog. Which is a little surprising as Dredd takes a little down turn. The burst into action stripping away the very thing that built the story over the last couple of weeks, that being the tension. The for all the attempts at bold page design Ulysses Sweet kinda plods to a weak punchline of a conclusion. This has been okay at best this time round.

So things are left to the last three to turn around and boy do they. Orlok gets the conclusion its been building to and everything falls into place. Possibly this hasn't been well structured for the episodic format of 2000ad but when seen as a whole its come together very nicely.

The other two The Order and Savage have particularly great episodes in already great series, whats not to like. Love that everyone is playing Savage, the man isolated and alone without the war that made him. Patrick Goddard though has been dropping in those lovely looks from our man to hint that he might be more aware of whats going to happen and be more in control. Those little touches really add to the intrigue and tension. Just what does he know, what has he got planned... keep tuned same Prog time same Prog channel. The Order is just classic 2000ad Kek-W and John Burns as a team just seem to have a golden 2000ad formula between them, love the two stories this pair have done. So three crackers, pretty good Dredd and the obligatory middle of the road duffer and we have good 2000ad.

Richard

I wondered whether Savage was lip-reading what the Americans were saying and knows what they're up to.

Minkyboy

I suspect he was pretending it was on mute and that he heard every word.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Buttonman

Nice letters page with one voice crying out for more letters - and it wasn't me! No familiar faces at all - wonder if all the forum-ites have stopped writing or whether the letters are just rotten? In Tom's case both may apply.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 February, 2015, 03:29:22 PM
Nice letters page with one voice crying out for more letters - and it wasn't me! No familiar faces at all - wonder if all the forum-ites have stopped writing or whether the letters are just rotten? In Tom's case both may apply.
As soon as I read that I figured it must be you using a pseudonym or some local weegie that you've bribed to write in.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 February, 2015, 07:09:21 PM.

I loved the flashback Stront stories, it didn't matter to me that we knew the two leads were doomed (at the time)

I agree, I got over Johnny's death and loved the flash back stories for what they were, great SD tales. They had a credibility that stood them well in their place. I'm just not warming to the whole ressurection thing, it leaves me cold. Its all a bit Pet Cemartary for my liking...

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Dark and moody.....with the emphasis on dark.  I like it.

Dredd: And so we begin with the countdown.  The art is brilliant as always, but I feel it was a bit 'wham, bam' in dealing with Fear and Fire.  1 down...3 to go.....

Sweet:   Brilliant. It's ended.

Orlock: Ah yes, a twist on the twist.  Thought yer man Zhukov was going to ruin the mission for revenge...but no.  The mission had a hidden agenda.  Cool.

The Order: Still confused to where we're going, but happy to participate in the journey.

Savage: Clunk, clunk, clunk, we stomp towards the next plot point.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!