Main Menu

Memories of Christmas & 2000AD

Started by Alien Goodness, 18 December, 2011, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

Yeah getting the annuals in my stocking was the best part of Christmas (except the year I got an ATAT obviously). I would down tools, find a corner and not come back to open the rest of the stocking until I had read all the strips. Then a Boxing Day re-read and browse of any articles, competitions, features etc.

Was it one of the annuals that had the cut out and stand up figures of Slaine and others in?
Classic thrills.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Satanist

1985, found the annual hidden on top shelf of hall cupboard behind a pile of towels and or duvets. Remember being blown away by the art on Slaine and couldnae wait to get a full read of it on Xmas morn.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Pete Wells

Every Christmas I got the Dredd and 2000AD annuals as well as Beano, Dandy and Oor Wullie/The Broons, always an A3 sketch pad and a metre long plastic wallet of felt tips. Always, at the end of Christmas day, after I'd played with all my new Star Wars toys (and meticulously inspected them to make sure Santa had put the stickers in the right places- tantrums abound if he hadn't!) I'd lie on the floor with what felt like a giant Terry's Chocolate Orange, read my two favourite books from cover to cover then try to copy the Dredd pictures with my new felt tips.

That's happiness right there!

EDIT - Minkyboy, The year I got my AT-AT, my brother got a portable telly with mental amounts of polystyrene. I spent the day making brillaint Hoth bases the destroying them with the big walking bastard! I'd LOVE to be that age again!

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Minkyboy on 21 December, 2011, 10:07:18 AM
Was it one of the annuals that had the cut out and stand up figures of Slaine and others in?

Yes

mogzilla

we always got annuals ,2000ad,warlord,dandy,beano, victor,the odd star wars and spidey one but we did HAVE to go away after dinner to read presumably while grandad got drunk and evryone else had a kip....banished to a room on xmas day! we werent even allowed to play with our toys in case we made a noise and i didnt see any telly at christmas until i left home!!!! except once when star wars was on for the first time....

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Satanist on 21 December, 2011, 01:14:05 PM
1985, found the annual hidden on top shelf of hall cupboard behind a pile of towels and or duvets. Remember being blown away by the art on Slaine and couldnae wait to get a full read of it on Xmas morn.
My mum used to have a dreadful habit of hiding presents then forgetting all about them. Several times I was caught in the dilemma of trying to figure out how to gently inquire what happened to the Dredd annual I thought I might be getting...
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

While in Dundee earlier this year, I purchased Paul Gravett's 1001 Comics to read before you die as a Christmas present (for me).  I gave it to the missues to wrap up and keep safe until Christmas day and she's only gone and forgotten where she put it.  Pah!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

A Prog 2012-shaped package has just rematerialised under the tree, happy days!  If it's a copy of House and Garden I shall be in my room sobbing for the rest of the day. 

Satanist

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 December, 2011, 12:29:40 PM
I gave it to the missues to wrap up and keep safe until Christmas day and she's only gone and forgotten where she put it.  Pah!

Its at the back of her bottom bedside drawer next to the condoms.

:-[
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Proudhuff

That's strange, I found it in her knicker drawer earlier ...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Aw, come on, chaps. I have to sleep with her. But you?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JudgeBriggs

I remember mid Nov time when the annuals appeared in W H Smith, I tried to ignore them and go straight to the Crash magazine, but sometimes could not resist.

Mike Carroll

I remember buying the first few 2000 AD annuals the hard way, by paying the newsagent in Ballybrack 10p each week until the annual was paid off. That was how most of us did it in those days, except for one of my best friends whose parents were (relatively) wealthy: he got the annuals as soon as they appeared, and then spent the new few months spoiling the stories for us.

He always got tons of really cool presents - anything he asked for - and he'd laugh at the rest of us when we told him what we'd received. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I considered him to be such a good friend!

-- Mike

Spikes

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 December, 2011, 10:29:43 AM
I fondly remember finding out (presumably via the prog or a flyer in Forbidden Planet) that there would be droids signing (Think this was 80/81) and going down to the signing, getting the copies signed by Mick and Brian.

Alas, living in the provinces, far from that there London, i had to wait about 30ish years to get hold of a signed copy (Thanks to good ol' E-Bay - its inscribed "Sean Harty aged 14" on the inside cover. If your on here Sean, its gone to a good home)

Despite getting every issue since Prog 2, i never started getting the Annuals for Christmas until about 1980, probably still getting the Action Annuals or summat up to that point. Definate highlight of Xmas, when i did start to recieve them.
Always thought the reprint strips were a bit of a swizz though.

Emperor

Signed by "John Howard"? Now there is commitment.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+