Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxlen

Had to stop watching...was originally into the idea of a female DR (mainly for the male companions) and no-one wanting to shag the DR for one ---yes rose and Karen gillians character I'm talking to you)..but seriously...i have not cringed since Tennant's Timmy Mallett tie debacle on the girl  :o in the fireplace. unsubscribe.

TordelBack

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the "Timmy Mallet tie debacle" problem with Girl in the Fireplace? That's one of my absolute favourite NuWhos, and not just because Sophia Myles is staggeringly gorgeous in it (honest).

JamesC

Does Timmy Mallet wear ties? I thought he was more of a shorts and t-shirt man.

Tiplodocus

He favours a really, really small two piece bathing costume  named after a Pacific atoll doesn't he? Assuming it's a primary colour (But not red or blue) and has black spots on it too.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

I see what you did there, and the resulting earworm and disturbingly sharply remembered video imagery is not appreciated.  Why is some of my very limited storage capacity filled with this sort of thing, and not something useful (like Prog numbers for specific Future Shocks, for example),

Frank

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 November, 2018, 01:56:15 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 November, 2018, 01:41:55 PM
remember RTD served up farting Slitheen and deadly... wheelie bins.

Paving. Slab. Blow. Job.

I have no idea what this refers to...should I know?
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 November, 2018, 04:50:17 PM

"It's a relationship, of sorts, but we manage. We've even got a bit of a love life."

("Love & Monsters" — S2E10 of Nu Who)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Made even more inappropriate by the fact that it was also an episode featuring a creature designed by a child who'd won a competition on Blue Peter, (intended to be gigantic and terrifying, but portrayed in the programme by Peter Kay).

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 November, 2018, 05:00:58 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 November, 2018, 04:50:17 PM

"It's a relationship, of sorts, but we manage. We've even got a bit of a love life."

("Love & Monsters" — S2E10 of Nu Who)

Yeah but...you would though, wouldn't you?  :lol:

TordelBack

Yeah, but would you?  I mean she's supposed to be his girlfriend, but WTF is she getting out of it?  It's either a rather disturbing view of a woman's role in a romantic relationship, or it's basically Deep Throat remade for a tween audience.  I believe the usual phrase is "poor taste", but given the circumstances, I think we'll settle for "badly judged".

(I accept the counter argument that it could be meant to show that people with physical disabilities can have meaningful sexual relationships, but the overriding comedy twang of the whole episode makes it impossible for me to agree).

Leigh S

Only caught up with last weeks yesterday, but I thought it was once again a vast improvement.  I personally was sick to the back teeth of Universe ending/rewriting EPIC before Moffatt took over, let alone in the debris left behind after he had left.  Having smaller stakes makes this feel the most it has done to the 70s Who I fell in love with since Eccleston.  Once again, my wife nailed the biggest problem (No big fan of Who previous, she liked the Eccleston stuff, but she gave up watching with me shortly into Moffatt).  She has been enjoying these ones, really enjoyed the story of this latest one, but some of the acting really knocks the wind out of it - being a fan of the odl series, the only shonky acting that is grating for me is Ryan, but she had a point about some of the spporting cast here too

IndigoPrime

I'm fine on the acting, and like the smaller scale stuff. The big battles never really work, and RTD managed to unravel all his fine work pretty quickly in that manner. Having the Doctor terrified of a single Dalek was a superb moment of television. Having him then up against billions of Daleks and winning the day, or Cybermen at every doorstep, or (etc.) just started to grate. Moffat was little better in this regard, even when he attempted to soft-reboot by sending the Doctor into the shadows.

I suspect we'll still get the odd major event, but I got very tired of the god-like Doctor, basically saying "don't you know who I am?" to thwart an alien invasion. Having a Doctor who is actually vulnerable and a little unsure, but still confident, smart and quietly bonkers, seems a smart way to shift the show. And, sure, the script editing is still bloody awful, but then that's modern telly all over, right the way up to even the likes of Game of Thrones. (In fact, I'm struggling to think of more than a handful of modern shows that nail this aspect. Fargo, for sure. The canned Dirk Gently, mostly. Any more?)

Leigh S

It would have been nice, arguably better, to have removed the aliens all together from this one - will they ever have the gumption to do that - I see there's a Witch finder episode coming up - if you need aliens to make an episode about that exciting, you are definitely doing something wrong....

von Boom

They needed the aliens in order to tell the Doctor what was actually happening. Both she and her sonic screwdriver missed the fact that the holy man had been shot.