Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I thought that scene was awkward. It's like someone wanted to show how tolerant the Federation is. I have this vision of some executive saying, "Make the saucer bit spin 'round, that'll look cool, and let's have some gays in there as well, that'll look cool too. And somebody get me a bagel!"
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

The Legendary Shark

I have nothing whatsoever against the inclusion of gay characters - it just seemed to be a gimmick rather than proper character development.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 October, 2017, 06:23:03 PM
It almost came across to me as a caricature.  The doctor's concern and irritation at Stamet's decision could just as easily have been portrayed as normal officerly concern and their relationship still made clear without representing him the way it seemed to to me.  No?

If the scene had been with Keiko and O'Brien, would you have asked the same question?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Legendary Shark

Keiko wasn't a Starfleet officer, she was (will be) a civilian botanist.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

Smith

What been bothering me is that Lorca is kind of a dick.I know its Harry Mudd,but leaving him behind still comes off as a dick move.Or at least something a Starfleet Captain wouldnt do.

blackmocco

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 October, 2017, 07:00:55 PM
Keiko wasn't a Starfleet officer, she was (will be) a civilian botanist.

That's not an answer.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

Quote from: Smith on 18 October, 2017, 07:02:41 PM
What been bothering me is that Lorca is kind of a dick.I know its Harry Mudd,but leaving him behind still comes off as a dick move.Or at least something a Starfleet Captain wouldnt do.

But Lorca is totally supposed to come across that way. It can bother you in that you don't see it as becoming of a Starfleet Captain but I don't think it's a fault with the script.
The Discovery has been established as a top secret vessel of war so taking civilians on board is presumably a big no-no.
I guess Lorca still submits a log so the rough location and description on the Klingon prison ship will have been recorded. Maybe another Starfleet ship will be sent to intercept.

Tjm86

Quote from: blackmocco on 18 October, 2017, 06:57:18 PM

If the scene had been with Keiko and O'Brien, would you have asked the same question?

You know what, I'm not sure.  Maybe this is part of what bothered me about this.  In terms of Keiko and O'Brien, one of the partners is a civvy so arguably it might have been in character.  I guess what I'm saying is for me it did the characters a bit of a disservice. 

blackmocco

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 October, 2017, 07:09:32 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 18 October, 2017, 06:57:18 PM

You know what, I'm not sure.  Maybe this is part of what bothered me about this.  In terms of Keiko and O'Brien, one of the partners is a civvy so arguably it might have been in character.  I guess what I'm saying is for me it did the characters a bit of a disservice.

They were both off-duty but to take your point, let's try this again: Worf and Dax. Would you ask the same question?

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Tjm86

True, this is why I am a bit conflicted in this regard.  Would a heterosexual couple acting in the same way have had the same affect on me?  I'd already figured out Stamets' orientation from his interaction with his old research partner so it wasn't much of a revelation.  Am I being unfair to the characterisation here?  Maybe.  As I say, it just jarred a little.  Sorry.

The Legendary Shark

Worf and Dax enjoyed a long and developing relationship - this was just, bam! There was no build up (unless I missed it).

Sorry. I know the question wasn't for me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 18 October, 2017, 07:08:17 PM
But Lorca is totally supposed to come across that way. It can bother you in that you don't see it as becoming of a Starfleet Captain but I don't think it's a fault with the script.

Yeah. We are clearly supposed to regard Lorca as a man whose moral compass is seriously off, leading to the question of whether we are misjudging him, or whether Burnham's willingness to buck the chain of command is going to come into play again...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.