Main Menu

Up The Irons

Started by richerthanyou, 12 March, 2016, 07:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

So I've got myself a ticket to go and see The Irons (no, not West Ham United. The other ones) in May. I told myself I wasn't going to bother because a poor student like me couldn't justify $140 even if it is one of my favorite bands. Then I get an email, we have 666 tickets going at $66.66! So I am going to get to see them for the first time ever!

Funny story, I was an Iron Maiden fan before I'd even heard a song. I don't think I even knew they were a band at the time. Someone in my family got me an Iron Maiden sticker book, and the shop down the road sold the stickers so every week my mom would buy me a pack. From what I recall they were of various album and single covers, and lots of Eddie doing cool stuff... 

Does anyone else remember this sticker book I speak of?

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

dweezil2

I'm a big maiden fan too!
First saw them at Donnington in '88 promoting the Seventh Son album and have seen them several times since-a truly fantastic live band.

Not sure about a sticker album, bur I do have a set of Iron Maiden trading cards somewhere about!

Great news on bagging some tickets, you're going to love it!

Up The Irons indeed!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Magnetica

Iron Maiden have slowly worked their way up in the list of bands I like until they are now just about my favourite. Or rather I alternate between them and Metallica depending on how I am feeling.

They certainly have more variety.

My recent listening list has beem totally dominated by Iron Maiden and I find myself just repeat listening to what ever the chosen CD is.

What I think they have done so well is to keep making albums giving the fans what they want whilst allowing for a bit of experimentation e.g adding in a bit of piano but retaining that unmistakable Iron Maiden guitar and drum sound. Case in point Book of Souls double CD and Empire of the Clouds clocking in at 18 minutes, with both frankly not being long enough.

Also recent albums are every bit as good as the classic stuff e.g the aforementioned Book of Souls, the Final Frontier, A Matter of Life and Death, Dance of Death etc (and ok you could say the last two aren't that recent, but they are to me :D )

shaolin_monkey

I've been into Maiden since I was 13, 30 years ago!!!  A friend of mine in school said 'Dave, I got this tape for my birthday, and I don't like it.  Do you want it?  How much dinner money have you got?'

So for the princely sum of £1 and an empty stomach, I got my grubby mitts on a brand new cassette of Iron Maiden's 'Powerslave'.  It remains my favourite studio album to this day.

My favourite album of all time though, is 'Live After Death'.  I've owned that in nearly every format imaginable.  I listen to it several times a year - it never gets old.

Maiden are also the second band I went to see live (Gary Moore was the first) - it was their 'Somewhere on Tour', off the back of the Somewhere in Time album.  That single gig cemented them as my all time favourite band forever!

I've seen them loads of times since.  The most recent was at the O2 in London, where they re-enacted their Seventh Son tour (which I also saw back in the day - '89 was it?).  It was bloody brilliant - such a polished performance.  My favourite part of it was hearing Phantom of the Opera live for the first time in decades.

Yep, Maiden rule.

ThryllSeekyr

I think their touring in OZ next month. I might be able to afford their tickets at 150 dollars AUD. Definitely not the Black Sabbath tickets. Whom, I know better.

Gus W

I first got into Maiden in 1981 in my early teens when living in Singapore of all places. Everything seemed to be pirated tapes in the shops there! My mate lent me Killers, which I then bought, along with every album since, and also the first album (all genuine copies now though!)

Seen them a few times, including the Piece of Mind tour at Hull City Hall, No Prayer for the Dying tour, again at Hull, and most recently at Sheffield Arena in 2011, when I also took my two young daughters along. We also all went to see Rush a few months earller at the same venue, so I like to think I have done a reasonable job in educating their musical tastes!  :)

I dont remember a sticker book like you mention, but I do remember one produced by Metal Hammer magazine, around the Somewhere Back In Time tour. You got the sticker album, and then collected the stickers each month for about three magazines I think. Still got it in a box in the roof somewhere.