Main Menu

Tom Strong Book II and or Top 10 vol 2...any good?

Started by therev, 21 October, 2004, 03:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therev

I've got both of the aboves Book 1's and was thinking of getting the follow up collections but recently I have my fingers burnt buying stuff and wondered if people rate the second collections of both titles.

The Amstor Computer

Top Ten Vol 2 - very, very good. If you enjoyed Vol 1, you'll love this. It ties up the main threads from Vol 1 in what is - I think - a first for plot twists in superhero books. It feels a bit truncated - and at least one main plot strand is left unresolved - but it's still a great read.

Tom Strong Vol 2 is a little less impressive than the first, but I'm still unsure whether that's because the novelty has worn off a little. There are some great stories in there - including a particularly fun Gary Gianni-illustrated tale - but it's a fairly patchy read. Again, if you enjoyed Vol 1, you should get plenty of enjoyment out of this, but don't expect *too* much.

Hope this helps!

ming

Well if you liked Top 10 vol 1, you can't really go wrong with volume 2.  I though both were great.  Not read Tom Strong though, sorry*.

* heh - but you should hear what Floyd hasn't read...I think he's still standing in a corner with his hands on his head.

The Amstor Computer

"heh - but you should hear what Floyd hasn't read...I think he's still standing in a corner with his hands on his head."

I should think so - calls himself a "comics fan"? Pah!

;-)

therev

eh?
You've lost me!
What has he only ever read 90's 'Tooth and Bunty?

IndigoPrime

I agree with the others about Top Ten 2?it's well worth a read, unlike the second Tomorrow Stories collection, which is bloody awful.

Quirkafleeg

Top Ten 2 is essential if you've read and enjoyed book 1

WoD

Floyd-the-k

I haven`t read Watchmen or V for Vendetta. Or Bunty. People are starting to talk.

However, I have read Tom Strong 1, which was fantastic for mine. Something `a little less impressive` would be well worth reading.  But what would I know? I haven`t read.....

yours, outed

Floyd

ming

My name is Floyd, and I haven't read Watchmen or V for Vendetta, but I'm taking it one day at a time...

Well done, Floyd.  This is like some kind of the shame-of-comics-not-read-anonymous or something.  The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem, and you're among friends here.

(raising a clenched fist of solidarity for brother Kermode)

p.s. I can lend you some back issues of Bunty if you want*

*not really.

Dudley

I've read 2000AD plus offshoots, Watchmen and Batman:Dark Knight returns.

That's it.

Floyd reads manga that we've never heard of.  So heap shame on me and leave the floydster alone.

Trout

Gav: yes to both.

They're all sorts of fun.

- Trout

Devons Daddy

top ten book 2

superb and with moments of sheer pain and sadness.
which makes you beg for smax latest collected edition.

die die must try.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Marbles

Top Ten is excellent. I bought the monthly comics so can't comment on the trades. (nb. If u get a chance to see the .cbr version where the pages are blown up to around 200% the size of the original you can really appreciate the amazingly detailed artwork.
Not read Tom Strong tho'.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Moose

tom strong...the dog's...

top ten also good, died too early and there really should have been more.

smax...spin-off...excellent.

available as collected i believe.

tom strong spin-off terra obscura also worth weight in gold.

shatner-esque english..apologies..baby make tired...drinks make drunk...