Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 December, 2018, 05:08:29 PM
And there never will be while leaders reserve the "right" to impose their views and systems on others.

So true.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Well, if nobody's going to cut those leaders' heads off and stick them on spikes, how are things ever going to change?  They're not likely to decapitate themselves and then dissolve the systems that have served them well for decades, are they?

broodblik

I think the modern democratic system that we have in place has created a new type of kingship. You are there for a short period of time, so you use, "abuse", break the system for your benefit (and your benefit only or some lucky family member) . The train stop you get off the new clean broom gets one, repeat until the next French Revolution.   :-[ :'( >:(

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

Every human being is flawed. As I keep saying, it's not the people that need decapitating, it's the "power" itself. Give a person power and he or she will abuse it, take away the power (or, more specifically, teach the population that the power is actually illusory) and it cannot be abused.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Peasant: "Ha!  You cannot rule me!  Your power is illusory!"
King: "Man-at-arms, kill this peasant."
[Man-at-arms kills peasant.]

EXEUNT
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

All Peasants: "Ha! You cannot rule us! Your power is illusory!"
King: "Man-at-arms, kill all the peasants."
[Man-at-arms runs away.]
EXEUNT

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

You mean like in the French Revolution?  I will admit that certainly got rid of centralized power and resulted in everlasting peace...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

Brexit's pretty weird anyway, but seeing the news lead (two nights in a row) with a chorus of pensioners from the home counties singing Twisted Sister* outside parliament is David Lynch-level weird:

https://youtu.be/4xmckWVPRaI?t=97

* I admit, I had to google it

JamesC

Quote from: Frank on 11 December, 2018, 09:06:31 PM

Brexit's pretty weird anyway, but seeing the news lead (two nights in a row) with a chorus of pensioners from the home counties singing Twisted Sister* outside parliament is David Lynch-level weird:

https://youtu.be/4xmckWVPRaI?t=97

* I admit, I had to google it

I haven't followed the link or seen the footage but I'm assuming it's 'We're not gonna take it' and not 'I wanna rock'.

Professor Bear

That at least sounds amusing, but BBC News in my region tonight led with how wages were rising faster and more people were in work than ever before.

JOE SOAP

And you still have Brexit to look forward to.

TordelBack

Yeah,  if it's this good with only the fragrant promise of Brexit, think how good it's going to be when May follows through!

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 December, 2018, 10:11:15 PM
That at least sounds amusing, but BBC News in my region tonight led with how wages were rising faster and more people were in work than ever before.

Wonder where they got that idea? The ONS end of year report is published every December.

I found that link in an article on the economics section of the BBC website, which notes that this is due in part to a reduction in the number of students, carers and the long-term sick being forced back into work, and pensioners putting off retirement.

That story was alongside Pound sinks after no confidence report, UK economy slows as car sales fall, November shopper footfall 'worst since recession' and UK economic growth 'stalls' as service sector slides.

TordelBack

It's attitudes like yours, Frank, that have sabotaged this whole glorious leap into the past right from the start. It's almost as if you think that the Leave vote was a product of opportunist manipulation of growing inequality and political stasis,  rather a brave response to the evil eurocrats scheming to pull old England Britain the UK down. All anyone ever asked is that you clap your hands and say "I do believe in fairies, I do!". Your "facts" have no place in magical thinking.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 December, 2018, 08:59:59 PM
You mean like in the French Revolution?  I will admit that certainly got rid of centralized power and resulted in everlasting peace...

No.

I think I'm on record (probably multiple times) stating my opinion that bloody revolutions never work as they simply change one group of violent, entitled bullies with another and that the only revolution worth having is a revolution of the mind.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]