Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Alarums!  Alarums!  A woman is being allowed to talk!  Her mouth is twisted and wrong!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Someone finally figured out the secret ingredient in Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder.  Which you should probably stop using.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 December, 2018, 10:32:35 PM
Someone finally figured out the secret ingredient in Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder.  Which you should probably stop using.

Wow. Though am I right in saying that the laws against asbestos use are way more relaxed Stateside?  Not that that's any excuse, of course.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

In the future, we'll probably look back at talcum powder in the same way we now look at mercury enemas and trepanning

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/johnson-johnson-ordered-pay-417m-cancer-lawsuit/

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 December, 2018, 12:27:43 AM
In the future, we'll probably look back at talcum powder in the same way we now look at mercury enemas and trepanning

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/johnson-johnson-ordered-pay-417m-cancer-lawsuit/

You'll be able to wolf down all the carcinogens you like once those barmy Brussels bureaucrats back off from barraging Brits with bonkers bans.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Ah, the days when we used to drill holes in our heads just to let off some steam.

Robin Low

Technically, we still do trepanning, although it's a lot more stylish these days:

https://wdong9972.en.ec21.com/Cranial_Drill_Perforator--3315020_3315393.html

Regards,

Robin

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well, it's been a 'momentous week' in British Politics allegedly-and we're still stuck in Fuckwit land far as I can see. Crashing out with no deal looms larger every day, and if that occurs say goodbye to several sectors of the Economy and hello to Paramilitary attacks along Northern Irelands border. The clocks are running down to Midnight, and like Rorschach and Night Owl no action seems to make any difference except staying in which might generate some serious political violence in England since the Leavers will cry foul. Staying or Leaving both are bad, one worst economically than the other, but remaining might damage the long-term health of Democracy. Hopefully, the Politico's might get around the table and conclude that a delay followed by a Second Referendum is the only way to sort this mess out before it's over the cliff's edge. The Abyss doth beckon wide, however.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Legendary Shark

I once had similar problems trying to cancel my Book of the Month membership.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 December, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
action seems to make any difference except staying in which might generate some serious political violence in England since the Leavers will cry foul.

I think the media need to stop parrotting this nonsense. Every time the gammon has tried to organise even a rally in the last couple of years, they've basically embarrassed themselves. Fuck them. Let them moan. It's all they really want to do anyway.

They've made it clear nothing short of a no-deal crash-out will satisfy them, and that was the one thing everybody campaigning for Leave during the referendum assured us wouldn't happen. There's no mandate for no deal and if every course of action will leave some section of the population dissatisfied, let's do the one that doesn't ruin the economy, eh?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 December, 2018, 10:02:13 AM
a Second Referendum is the only way to sort this mess out before it's over the cliff's edge.

Your fellow Britons do not share your certainty:

We should leave the EU - 39
We should stay in the EU - 42

A general election would resolve the Brexit problem - 18
A general election would not resolve the Brexit problem - 64

A 2nd referendum would resolve the Brexit problem - 31
A 2nd referendum would not resolve the Brexit problem - 51

TordelBack

It's a simple fact that the victors don't really need to protest. Plus they all live in the country and the minibuses are needed for the bingo; you can never find the lav at these things and their bladders aren't what they used to be*. 

I was reading a thread about one of Sharky's favourite source of factoids, the Milgram expriments, and it observed that one of the main stated motivations in the <40% of participants who administered shocks past the point where the 'victim' cried-out was a strong reluctance to admit that they had been wrong to do so in the first place. It was those folks that went all the way to 'lethal' and beyond, rather than accept that they were duped and in the wrong way back when the pain they were causing first became evident. Watch this space.

*Whose is.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 December, 2018, 11:27:00 AM
It's a simple fact that the victors don't really need to protest. Plus they all live in the country and the minibuses are needed for the bingo; you can never find the lav at these things and their bladders aren't what they used to be*. 

I was reading a thread about one of Sharky's favourite source of factoids, the Milgram expriments, and it observed that one of the main stated motivations in the <40% of participants who administered shocks past the point where the 'victim' cried-out was a strong reluctance to admit that they had been wrong to do so in the first place. It was those folks that went all the way to 'lethal' and beyond, rather than accept that they were duped and in the wrong way back when the pain they were causing first became evident. Watch this space.

*Whose is.

Doesn't that covers most managerial decisions?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 December, 2018, 12:41:13 PM
Doesn't that covers most managerial decisions?

And many relationships.

JayzusB.Christ

Not completely clued in about this, but I feel some degree of relief that Theresa has won the vote of confidence.  Awful though she is, she voted remain  and is trying her best to control the damage.

Boris and Lord Mogg really need to be kept out of this one. Pair of [whizzerandchips] toffee-nosed twerps [/whizzerandchips] who neither know nor care about the lives of ordinary folk.