Main Menu

Sinister Dexter in 2005

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 July, 2010, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I was going to wax lyrical about Sinister Dexter in 2005 in my review of the year as a whole thread I've just started BUT I decided it deserves some of its own space as it raises a question for me that needs seperate attention.

For me in 2005 Sinister Dexter has been about as good as its ever been. Its been superb. It been awarded with the most consistant runs its had for a while in the Prog (for whatever reasons) a run the current storyline sad suffers from lacking. It started off with some great short stories and ended the year with a couple of brillant longer stories in 'Last Train to Kal Cutter' and '...and Death shall have no dumb minions' that really move the characters on in what must have been surprising ways when read 'live'? Just brillant brillant stuff.

Often when folk who have lost the love for S&D say it should have stopped around Eurotrash, or a bit after, I think normally people have lost that loving feeling before this point however.

I could see how that might have been in the couple of years before this when the strip did lose its way a little and was often given artists that didn't do it justice but really these stories in 2005 didn't move folk? Didn't bring you back to the fold (assuming you were there in the first place?). Have I just misread the tea leaves and this stuff is well regarded, or do people feel these are weak Sinister Dexter stories and if so I'm interested to hear why they don't like them?

Banners

I liked all the pathos and cool gunplay, and there were some neat narrative tricks 'back in the day'. With the breaks between series, I'm just totally confused as to all these clones and different dimensions. I much prefer SB Davis' art on it as well.

M@

radiator

QuoteI liked all the pathos and cool gunplay, and there were some neat narrative tricks 'back in the day'. With the breaks between series, I'm just totally confused as to all these clones and different dimensions. I much prefer SB Davis' art on it as well.

Same here. I think the point where I drifted away from Sin/Dex was when they started hanging out with aliens and going into space - up until that point the sci-fi in the series was always quite restrained and it was more of a 'near-future' set up. It statred to feel a bit like they were running out of ideas.

After a break from the prog for a few years, I was a bit dismayed to see what its become. I can barely keep track of who's alive and who's dead, adding clones and alternative dimensions into the mix just confuses me completely.

Abnett is a great writer, but I'd rather he concentrate on more exciting stuff like Kingdom and Insurrection.

Bolt-01

Also, for whatever reason- the last five years have been setting the scene for this enormous gang-war; but the spotty publishing schedule has meant that it has been dragged around forever. I've said it before and I say it again- Sin/Dex needs to be in the prog on a semi regular basis at the mo, in order to maintain any momentum.

Roger Godpleton

To be fair, I think pretty much all of the ongoing stories in the prog at the mo are suffering from scheduling problems, especially Red Seas.

Obviously, I realize there are other factors involved in such affairs.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!