Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current TV Boxset Addiction  (Read 97330 times)

Keef Monkey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • I knew you'd say that...
    • View Profile
    • POPOLAC
Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Reply #1755 on: Today at 12:03:44 pm »
It took 3 or 4 episodes for Altered Carbon to really get its hooks in for me, but I've been blitzing through it ever since and really loving it.

I've never read the novels and the show does do a bit of a messy job of establishing a lot of things, it's about 7 episodes before you get I got a solid chunk of backstory and actually figured out what the whole envoy thing was all about and what the motivations of the different factions were and that kind of thing. All the sort of stuff that would ideally be laid out in the first episode I guess, but the style and swagger of the whole thing carried me through until I was properly engrossed.

It probably helps that I unashamedly love all things cyberpunk, it's just an aesthetic that pushes my happiness buttons really hard, and this has really clicked with me.

It also has one of the coolest, most badass uses of White Zombie I've seen, and the fact that in a show that I've heard people call a rip-off of Blade Runner, they've straight up used a track written about Blade Runner showed a nice bit of self-awareness that it knows exactly how heavily it wears its inspirations and is fine with that.