Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doom Patrol!  (Read 92 times)

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Doom Patrol!
« on: 14 February, 2019, 08:42:18 pm »
After a very promising debut in Titans, here's an extended trailer for the full series. There is so much Morrison/Case stuff in just those four-ish minutes. I'm really quite taken aback.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • I do mermaid alertness course.
    • View Profile
    • The Beat of His Own Drum
Re: Doom Patrol!
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2019, 09:19:36 pm »
The stuff with Jane looks pretty good - some very recognisable personalities, and the scene with her, Cliff and the painting in the rain is straight out of the start of the Morrison run. Cliff himself, however, looks kinda... well, cheap. Flimsy. Hopefully he'll get an upgrade to a weightier form (or even get the spider legs eventually.) Cyborg seems completely superfluous - no idea what he's doing there. Good to see Mr. Nobody though - clearly they're going for a different interpretation of his appearance, since his comic form is pretty much untranslatable to the screen.

Fungus

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:46:09 pm »
It's strange just how much stuff I can credit and enjoy in a comic, but when filmed..... just feels wrong.

Does Cliff's jaw move when he speaks? I'm not sure, but I do know it's distracting. And something the comic didn't care about (make your own, correct, judgement). And cue the annoying bombastic soundtrack!

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2019, 11:20:56 pm »
Does Cliff's jaw move when he speaks?

It didn’t in the Titans episode where he appears. Why would it? He doesn’t have lips, a tongue or vocal cords — he’s not articulating speech in a human way, and they modulate Fraser’s voice to make it clear that it’s supposed to be synthesised.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.