Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Kingsman Golden Circle, okay but not as good as the first one.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 December, 2017, 11:13:22 AM
Literally my only gripe is that someone leaned on the orange-and-teal preset a bit hard in the colour grading suite and it's a little hard on the eyes in a few scenes.
While set in a jungle?  Orange and teal genuinely work well in films like Mad Max (desert and blue sky), but you'd think they'd go for green and possibly red (if they're keeping with complementary colours) if they set it in leafy environments.

Tiplodocus

LEGO BATMAN.

Very fast and funny but also a pretty damned good Batman movie. It genuinely wouldn't take much tweaking to make it the best "serious" Batman movie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 01 January, 2018, 03:36:02 PM
While set in a jungle?

It's some of the non-jungley scenes where I found it a bit grating. Really, it's just a nitpick — I'm not trying to claim it spoiled the movie or anything...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

I watched Call the Midwife at my parents over Christmas - felt like they'd picked a bunch of Fremen to play anyone with remotely blue eyes.

von Boom

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 January, 2018, 05:04:35 PM
I watched Call the Midwife at my parents over Christmas - felt like they'd picked a bunch of Fremen to play anyone with remotely blue eyes.

:lol:

radiator

Saw two absolute crackers over the weekend.

First up was I, Tonya - the Margot Robbie-starring biopic of infamous figure skater Tonya Harding, which I been looking forward to seeing ever since the first trailer dropped - and it didn't disappoint. There's a quote in the trailer that compares it  to Goodfellas, which I initially assumed was flippant, but it's actually on-point - structurally and stylistically the film is very reminiscent of Goodfellas, down to it's pop music montage sequences, narration, even down to how well it's lead actors portray the same characters at wildly varying ages. And like Goodfellas the film veers jarringly between hilarious and horrifying, often within the same scene. All three leads (Robbie, Sebastian Stan and Alison Janney) are superb, but it's arguably newcomer Paul Walter Hauser that steals the show as hapless bodyguard Shawn Eckhart. Probably my pick for film of the year 2017.

Next was The Shape of Water which was almost as great. It's certainly not going to click with everyone, and I can see it getting a lot of stick - it has some pretty goofy sequences, the characters (though very likeable) are a little broadly drawn and there's a certain hamminess to some of the dialogue, but I can happily overlook these things as everything about the movie is so endearing and well-crafted. It's an incredible looking film, the soundtrack is gorgeous, and the cast and performances are on the whole pretty great - Sally Hawkins is just incredible in everything and this really gives her a chance to shine. It's a really lovely film, and my girlfriend - who was suffering from mild jetlag and who I basically had to drag to the cinema with me to see it - was entranced throughout, and as the credits rolled proclaimed it one of the best films she had ever seen(!). Not something I ever thought I'd hear from her about a Guillermo Del Toro monster movie!  :lol:

Also finally got around to seeing Miami Connection with some friends just before Christmas, and it was predictably great. Every bit the equal to The Room in the 'good-bad' stakes.

Theblazeuk

Bright - as with others, pleasantly surprised that this wasn't terrible but instead fairly trashy fun. As mentioned elsewhere I enjoyed that this wasn't Shadowrun (Magic has appeared in the mundane) but instead a world where all of the fantasy and fantasy racism has always been part of the world.

Greg M.

A varied mix of films for me over the last couple of days, most notable of which was Stalker (1979). I've had the DVD of this sitting around for ages, but never got round to watching it - more fool me. A stunning study of human motivation in a crumbling post-industrial wilderness - the shifting, capricious, alien-touched Zone, home to a room that may grant wishes - this features some of the most beautifully-shot and strange scenes I've ever witnessed in a film. Deliberately slowly, deeply profound, absolutely wonderful. My idea of a truly great piece of science-fiction and a truly great movie.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955): A movie it is impossible to describe without using the phrase "apocalyptic film noir", Kiss Me Deadly is best known for its explosive finale, as a Pandora's Box of hissing nuclear evil is opened, resulting in a terrifying set-piece that surely had an influence on the conclusion of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. Of particular note is the portrayal of our 'hero', Mike Hammer P.I. - Ralph Meeker plays him as an absolute sadist, whose face simply lights up when given the chance to dominate and bully someone weaker than him. The scene where he  'coaxes'  information out of a man by trapping his hands in a drawer is unforgettable.

The Eagle Shooting Heroes (1993): Prime Hong Kong mentalness - a ridiculously silly (and hugely enjoyable) mickey-take of the wuxia genre. Highlights include the main villain attempting (and repeatedly failing) to kill a man who actively wants to be killed, and an impromptu game of football using a floating head as the ball and featuring a Hong Kong rendition of the Match of the Day theme. Daft but enormous fun.

Professor Bear

The Stepford Wives - erm, well... this was probably great in its day.  Let's leave it at that.

The Mission - they do not make 'em like this anymore.  Sumptuous period piece that only served to remind me that Jeremy Irons is capable of something other than high-class panto camp and making stupid comments about marriage equality.  Also: holy cats, Robert DeNiro was young once - as was Liam Neeson.  Probably not a film I'd watch over and over, but I'm glad I saw it at least once.

Justice league - coincidentally also starring Jeremy Irons, who doesn't seem to do any butler-ing in this, so ironically for someone with Irons' stupid opinions IRL and his character's distraction with "Master Bruce" not getting any tail, his character just seems like he's Bruce Wayne's live-in boyfriend from a sitcom.  Kind of turns into a videogame at the end, but the odd jokey comment helps a lot with making these characters seem less horrible than usual, particularly given how hollow Wonder Woman's comments about compassion seem in contrast to the actor's IRL opinions about wiping out Palestinians like rats - boy, I guess it'll just always be a mystery why Wonder Woman never fought the Nazis in her movie, huh?  Aquaman especially seems very affable compared to what you'd expect of such a broody and pompous character and all his attendant baggage about small coastal communities ruined by THE MAN, but I wonder if Batman doesn't work better as a completely serious character?  I mean, I don't mind the jokes, I just wonder if he's maybe not distinctive enough from the others.
This film isn't atrocious, and I think we should just take the win there.  A bit messy, but easily the best of the current DCU movies for me so far.

Smith

Seems like your problem is more with the actors then the movie.Not that Im really defending the movie.But I hope Super Ultimate Directors Cut Kai will iron out some things.

Professor Bear

Sometimes movie types can do things that are so beyond the pale that I can't see past it to their art - which is is why I don't watch Roman Polanski films, and don't have any plans to start watching House of Cards.

Smith

I get that,but in general I think we should separate the art from the artist,or at least try.
Otherwise,there is a path to madness.

Professor Bear

I tried to give Rolf Harris a second chance and decided to check out some of his videos on Youtube, but the first one that came up was called "Two Little Boys".  Sometimes the fuckers are just rubbing your face in it.

Smith

Not defending anyone,but the works are not guilty for their creators sin.We know Gene Rodenberry was an ass,but should that stop us from watching Star Trek?
Or another example,Im disgusted by Gerard Jones,but did that desecrate the comics he wrote?No,Hals post-Crisis adventures were still as fun as they used to be.
Only for obvious reasons,that wont be collected anytime soon.