Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

I definitely can't always separate the person from the art, if they're poisoned enough. I wouldn't turn to dust, but I've noticed I don't really watch Tom Cruise films anymore for example. If they're a prolific paedophile or a figurehead complicit in the dodgy activities of a sinister cult, it's a prism I find it hard not to see them and their art through.

TordelBack

Hmmm, interesting points.  For myself, even though History's Greatest Monster does Tharg's PR (whenever he takes a break from bringing down the comic from the inside), I still buy the prog every week... Does this make me an enabler of his high-altitude evil-doings?

Professor Bear

Absolutely - especially when you call him "my Dark Master" and keep sacrificing runaways to the likeness you've crafted of him from human flesh and dolphin bones, but I don't owe Roman Polanski or Gerard Jones anything.  It's an individual choice, and I individually choose not to financially reward child rape and genocide.

Quote from: Smith on 08 January, 2018, 06:22:16 AMWe know Gene Rodenberry was an ass,but should that stop us from watching Star Trek?

Roddenberry was a chancer who surrounded himself with dodgy characters like Leonard Maizlish, he was not actually a child rapist to the best of my knowledge.

TordelBack

I do tend to approach this issue on a more instinctual level, rather than putting much thought into it: I reject consuming Polanksi's work out of hand (and contemporary abusers and rapists like Harris and Saville and Gadd), whereas in an unexamined way I'm more accepting of the work of shitheels from the slightly more distant past: for example, racists like Lovecraft.

That isn't to say I stop criticising their attitudes and actions because of some statute of moral limitations, but there's always a voice in my head reminding me that human rights, equality, universal franchise and not being an utter shit to everyone are terribly recent, and terrifyingly fragile, in their physical actuality if not their conception, and there but for the grace of grud go I.  Feeling up kids in hospital wards and hot-tubs, I'm reasonably sure I would have passed on, be it 700BC or 1970.

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 January, 2018, 01:43:52 PM
Absolutely - especially when you call him "my Dark Master" and keep sacrificing runaways to the likeness you've crafted of him from human flesh and dolphin bones, but I don't owe Roman Polanski or Gerard Jones anything.  It's an individual choice, and I individually choose not to financially reward child rape and genocide.

Quote from: Smith on 08 January, 2018, 06:22:16 AMWe know Gene Rodenberry was an ass,but should that stop us from watching Star Trek?

Roddenberry was a chancer who surrounded himself with dodgy characters like Leonard Maizlish, he was not actually a child rapist to the best of my knowledge.
http://atomicjunkshop.com/separating-the-art-from-the-artist/
Also,I wouldnt say that owning an early 90's comic supports anyone.Seeing all the royalties were paid for,a long time ago.
But again,Im not trying to defend anyone,and If you feel uncomfortable with some creators/actors,thats perfectly fine too.Not everyone can separate the art from the artist,and I understand that.

Hawkmumbler

I can probably list on my hands the number of creatives whom's art has been tainted by their BS. Frank Miller, Orson Scott Card, Roman Polanski, Douglas TenApple...

Won't give the scum my money,

Smith

I agree.But is the truth about Weinstein stop me from rewatching Pulp Fiction?Not really.

Thou,I admit,I couldnt watch Cosby show if you paid me.

GrudgeJohnDeed

What did Frank Miller do? I cant seem to find anything. Nothing too heinous I hope, I don't want to have to edit him out of Robocop 2

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Smith on 08 January, 2018, 07:02:07 PM
I agree.But is the truth about Weinstein stop me from rewatching Pulp Fiction?Not really.

He ain't the artist and you shouldn't need to pay for the film at this point so watch away.

I'll still watch Chinatown, The Fearless Vampire Killers, and Rosemary's Baby because they can't be unmade, it's the work of a collective of crafts-persons, not just one, and they're 'free'. I wouldn't support any new film by Polanski.

People like Cosby, Gadd or Savile were always unappealing, so no bother there.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 08 January, 2018, 08:06:28 PM
What did Frank Miller do? I cant seem to find anything. Nothing too heinous I hope, I don't want to have to edit him out of Robocop 2

He made The Spirit - damn HIM TO HADES!

Theblazeuk

Frank Miller just turned into a big ball of crazy. Other than the ever more obnoxious and lazy output of stuff like All Star Batman, he wrote long blog posts railing against those damn protesters undermining America before writing Holy Terror in peak-FOX news conversion, and then there was stuff like the abuse of his assistant (involving faeces).

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2018, 02:05:54 PM
I do tend to approach this issue on a more instinctual level, rather than putting much thought into it: I reject consuming Polanksi's work out of hand (and contemporary abusers and rapists like Harris and Saville and Gadd), whereas in an unexamined way I'm more accepting of the work of shitheels from the slightly more distant past: for example, racists like Lovecraft.
With Gadd and Harris you have the very real possibility that consuming their products puts money into their hands right now, and not through some convoluted route or to their estate.  Lovecraft's work is now in the public domain (or at least the early work is - not entirely sure how that works as I thought it was generally a blanket effect based on years elapsed since the author's death).

Link Prime

I'll only read pre-2016 forum posts from Joe Soap.

Tiplodocus

DUNKIRK again. Still brilliant. And my goodness, the sound design and soundtrack! Watched the extras and it pretty much confirmed what I guessed I.e. that Nolan just got Spitfires and Destroyers and 5000 extras and built a mole and got a fleet of Dunkirk little vessels and filmed it all blowing up.

TOMORROWLAND - Could have done with losing the Eiffel tower bit * and making the threat and the associated paradox a bit more explicit because it made the heroes seem a bit harsh on Hugh Laurie and L'il Android Annie. But some really inventive fights and action sequences.

* or actually make the Eiffel Tower more relevant to the plot because it just ended up a cool looking diversion.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Oh and did I mention that I enjoyed Ryan Reynolds rom-com DEFINITELY MAYBE. It's "How I met your mother" done in 2hours but with gags and a charming lead. The three women (Rachel Weisz, Elizabeth Banks and Isla Fisher) get variable amounts to do with pretty standard characters. I should state that I fancy them all (including Ryan) so this may have clouded what little judgement I have. And I liked the soundtrack. it

Be excellent to each other. And party on!