Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I saw the others, but all the indications were that this one would be good.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 January, 2018, 01:05:15 PM

I'd expect no less from man with such strong faith.   I'm sorry that it was so sorely tested.

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 January, 2018, 06:23:43 PM
It. Probably the most boring film since The Boring Adventures of Bory McBoring in the Utterly Dull Kingdom of Boredomia. Part IV.

Clearly you've never sat through The History of Boredom aka American Made.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 January, 2018, 01:06:55 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 January, 2018, 01:05:15 PM

I'd expect no less from man with such strong faith.   I'm sorry that it was so sorely tested.

It has Marky Mark in it doing serious acting.  All the signs pointed to this turning out well and I don't know what could have happened.

The Legendary Shark

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars. A fairly straightforward Mobile Infantry v Bugs tale of adventure and derring-do that jogs along at a brisk pace. It's a full cgi film and it looks fantastic, worth watching just for that.

It's the kind of film that the Squaxx in me finds very frustrating because we have so many cool characters and stories that would look awesome given this kind of treatment. Rogue Trooper, A.B.C. Warriors, Slaine, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Ace Trucking and, of course, Judge Dredd - the list is practically endless - any one of them could be superb with this level of animation and a story like the Apocalypse War could be truly magnificent.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

San Andreas. So you hire a living mountain of screen presence and easy charm to play your heroic Helicopter Rescue pilot in an earthquake spectacular,  and instead of having him heroically rescue people,  you have him steal an endless series of vehicles while having an interminable reconciliation conversation with his incredibly dull ex-wife. And don't get me started on casting Alexandra Daddario (28) to play their college-freshman daughter, a character who has inherited her father's larcenous ways,  looting equipment from a fire engine in front of two cops and then going on her merry way.

Never thought I'd say this,  but Dwayne,  you need a new agent:  you're better than this.

Tiplodocus

Yeah he is the worst rescue person ever.

A MONSTER CALLS.
Went in expecting an ET type tale. Boy was I wrong. I'm not crying, YOU are crying. Fantastic stuff.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Sicario. Grim take on the war on drugs. Very dark and heavy. Not a very nice movie, in a very good way. Ditto the way it felt meaningless. Had a certain sadness to which I really liked. Especially the ending. Only one slight quip really, one or two plot points felt a bit a bit off [spoiler]the thing with the guy Macer picked up[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Alejandro's silent gunning towards the end looked a bit too easy and stylish[/spoiler]. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the upcoming sequel :)

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 January, 2018, 11:50:01 PM

A MONSTER CALLS.
Went in expecting an ET type tale. Boy was I wrong. I'm not crying, YOU are crying. Fantastic stuff.

Yeah saw this quite recently myself and cried pretty hard, beautiful film.

Went to see Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night and absolutely loved it. It's properly laugh-out-loud funny throughout but also emotionally gripping as a drama, the writing is fantastic and the performances are amazing across the board. I couldn't get over how well it manages that one-two punch of hitting you in the feels hard and then getting a laugh out of you moments later. Brilliant film.

manwithnoname

Open House, a "Netflix Original".

One of the worst films i have ever seen.

Diabolically shit, in every possible way. Whoever was responsible for this abortion should never be allowed to write, direct or produce a film ever again, and Netflix need to have their fucking heads examined for actually showing it. It's offensively terrible and if this tsunami of sewage is what Netflix thinks is the sort of original content people want, they can fuck off.

Mattofthespurs

Re-watched 'Misery' last night for the first time in over 20 years.

Wow, it still holds up pretty darn well.

TordelBack

Quote from: manwithnoname on 29 January, 2018, 10:22:55 AM

Adding it to my watch list as we speak. 

von Boom

A Futile and Stupid Gesture the first Netflix film I can honestly say I liked. It's the story of the founding and founders of the National Lampoon magazine. I've never actually read an issue, but I have seen a couple of the films. It was a rather funny and informative film. I was quite surprised to have enjoyed it.

manwithnoname

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 January, 2018, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: manwithnoname on 29 January, 2018, 10:22:55 AM

Adding it to my watch list as we speak.

Why? I've told you it's terrible. Do you like really terrible films?

How odd

The Legendary Shark

I have this friend who hates all the films I love and loves all the films I hate. If he tells me he's watched a film and hated it I always make a point of watching it and, nine times out of ten, I enjoy it. He has the same kind of hit-rate with the films I hate. I suspect Tordels is reasoning along similar lines.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]