Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgefloyd

Now listening to The Modern Lovers.  I still love the songs, which I first heard sometime in the 80s, but I;m surprised by how sloppy they are. 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: judgefloyd on 16 April, 2013, 05:35:48 AM
Now listening to The Modern Lovers.  I still love the songs, which I first heard sometime in the 80s, but I;m surprised by how sloppy they are.

That Summer Feeling is still one of my all time favourite songs.

Goaty

Hi sorry, can't reply what I listening to... lol

as this thread is closing to music thread, I hope so?

I did create Deaf Rap Song from the Lake District, it with signing in Rap, but it don't got the music, so I ask, where you get sample rap musics? something like "Lakes" "Walking"?

Thanks!

Goaty

Frank

That was old school, Goaty - even Flava Flav wears his hat pointing forwards nowadays. The sun was splitting the trees as I drove around for work today, and the first single from Daft Punk's new record - Get Lucky - was all over the radio, giving me an idea of what my Summer's going to be like. It's a departure from the purely electronic sound of their last few efforts (including their brilliant Tron soundtrack), landing squarely halfway between the repetitious robot funk of Homework and the shimmering swimming pool disco of Discovery, and it features NILE-fucking-ROGERS (!), from Chic, on guitar - which is awesome.

No video yet, just this TV promo demonstrating that I was wrong to dismiss the idea that I would ever buy anything featuring the airless whine of Pharrell Williams again. The Neptunes made some great records in their time, but he didn't sing on any of them.

radiator

One of my favourite bands The Thermals have a new album out called Desperate Ground. I find it hard to describe why I like them so much - their scuzzy, whiny, lo Fi pop punk is unashamedly one-note, but it's a note that just feel laser targeted to appeal to me. They seem to have regained some of their spirit following their slightly bland, MOR-leaning last album.

Frank

Rudimental's Waiting All Night is the new number one, and it's another old school tune that makes me worry I need to get up in time for my paper round in the morning.

If you don't like that, the Yeah Yeah Yeah's have got a new tune out called Sacrilege, and it's just as much of a belter as Heads Will Roll from the last album. The tricksy Irreversible/Memento-style video features ginger British lovely Lily Cole having it off with an entire town after they've set her on fire.

judgefloyd

Since my ipod has only just come back to life after a break due to viruses, stupid bloody apple connecting things, Kubuntu, house moving and the evil of itunes, I've been listening to The Rolling Stones, Shonen Knife, Towa Tei, TISM, Gorrilaz, random bits of Judge Dredd audio cds and Manx Radio

Frank

Kermode mentioned last Friday that the new Bertolluci film (Me and You) features The Dave Bowie Band's Space Oddity en Italiano, and I've just got round to googling it. The lyrics are so totally different its difficult to see why they bothered, but it's got me thinking I should try to find out what other pop stars have done foreign language recordings of their hits. I know about Die Beatles auf Deutsch and Los Monkees en Espanol, but that's about it - anyone know of more exotica?

judgefloyd

There's an Irish cover of that Swedish House Mafia song (can't remember the name, think it's 'don't you worry child') that sounds exactly like the real thing

Frank

Quote from: judgefloyd on 23 April, 2013, 09:09:13 PM
There's an Irish cover of that Swedish House Mafia song (can't remember the name, think it's 'don't you worry child') that sounds exactly like the real thing

Mental! Without the subtitles I'd have guessed that was being sung in Kazakhstani, but if you watch the video all the way to the end it appears there's a wee cottage industry of pop songs na Gael. Cheers for that, floyd. Now I think about it, My Way was a very different beast until Paul Anka got his hands on it.

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 23 April, 2013, 07:34:46 PM
but it's got me thinking I should try to find out what other pop stars have done foreign language recordings of their hits.

Abba often did Spanish recordings for their hits. Madness tried this (also in Italian) for One step beyond..

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 April, 2013, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 23 April, 2013, 07:34:46 PM
but it's got me thinking I should try to find out what other pop stars have done foreign language recordings of their hits.

Abba often did Spanish recordings for their hits. Madness tried this (also in Italian) for One step beyond..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxSaT3adn20

Not many night classes necessary there, Jack! Abba's a good call too; this came up down the right hand side of Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_2TGXZubQ (I'd still do either of those Rhine maidens)

The best ones are when there's something about the song or the artist which seems incompatible with stereotypes concerning the nation in whose language the song is being sung; German soul music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP2ptfKunlk

ChickenStu

Anyone reckon that new Daft Punk album will be worth a punt? New single really growing on me.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 23 April, 2013, 07:34:46 PM...it's got me thinking I should try to find out what other pop stars have done foreign language recordings of their hits...
Kraftwerk have released loads in both English and German with a number of random tracks in other languages: Radioaktivität.

Sugarcubes (Sykurmolarnir) also did Icelandic takes on a lot of their stuff. You can decide for yourself which is the foreign one in these cases but the version of Water from Ilur Arfur is way better than the English release.
We never really die.