Main Menu

Meg 323 - Are you ready for... The Adjudicators!

Started by I, Cosh, 21 April, 2012, 01:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

A surprisingly enjoyable Meg this morning. A vibrantly silly cover from Mark Harrison bursts forth from the plastic envelope presaging the fun within.

Breaking with years of tradition I flipped straight to the last story as none of the other stories had the same claim on my interest as the climax of Strange and Darke. I've really enjoyed this series. The conscious decision Colin Macneil's made to go with a sort of bawdy seaside style gives it a really interesting dynamic, like Beryl Cook's Garden of Earthly Delights or something. It ended well, despite the promise of plot threads that Mr Smith will take years to even think about following up and there was a moment in the middle of the episode which, even though I'd seen it coming, made me snort and chuckle in my own home. Good stuff.

The prospect of another Simon Spurrier Dredd pastiching some Marvel superheroes wasn't filling me with anticipation but I really enjoyed it. It was light, frothy fun which reminded me how much I sometimes miss the silly side of Dredd. I don't want to presume too much as I realise there is probably more to their working relationship than I appreciate but I thought it was telling that the art on this story was credited solely to Carlos as, to my eye, it's comfortably the best looking Ezquerra work I've seen in an age.

Wasn't as keen on Snapshot this month as last but happy to give it the benefit of not being American Reaper for another couple of months. Samizdat Squad was the real weak link in an otherwise decent line-up. Not sure how next month's Meg will bear up with two resolutely mediocre Dreddworld strips in town.
We never really die.