Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

So that's what you call it in this universe. In the universe I'm from, it didn't exist...

:)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

There's even a song about it.

I was taught the same as you TLS, and seem to have been arguing about it ever since - I can report no sudden break, just shifting differences in preference.

Now if you want to talk about the change from Oil of Ulay to Olay...

The Legendary Shark

It's probably an example of confirmation bias, thinking about it. As soon as I started noticing the Oxford comma (thanks for teaching me about that, Cosh), it simply stood out more in my consciousness. Probably. Maybe it's because I read fewer novels and more factual books these days, the two having different preferences. Maybe.

My Mum always used what I remember as Oil of Ulay, I remember because we all used to deliberately mispronounce it in "hilarious" ways.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 03 May, 2018, 06:10:09 AMMy Mum always used what I remember as Oil of Ulay, I remember because we all used to deliberately mispronounce it in "hilarious" ways.

That's nothing, my mum used to eat some slimming chocolates called AIDS

EDIT - damn, just googled it and they were called AYDS.
You're right Sharky, some malign force is rewriting history and altering our memories!

The Legendary Shark

I do remember the advert "Aids cubes for slimmers," which seemed to come out about a fortnight before the A.I.D.S. monolith adverts in probably the most spectacularly ill-timed ad campaign in history!

I don't remember them being called "Ayds," though - maybe that was a bit of hasty and futile re-branding after the fact?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

As a 51 year old English graduate it's rare that I come across a word I  don't know- I have just learned 'haptic' and I'm delighted

The Legendary Shark

My deepest contratifibulations, DDD!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 April, 2018, 09:21:03 PM
In Soviet Russia women pass on you.

Close, just one letter out (if you pay for the... privilege).

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 April, 2018, 11:34:36 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 20 July, 2014, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 July, 2014, 12:09:55 PM
It knows EVERYTHING. http://en.akinator.com/

I almost killed it with Johnny Alpha. The first time it guessed Barry Trotter and when I said it was wrong and tried to continue it crashed.
I tried again and after one wrong guess of Ben Hope it finally got there with Johnny.

It amazingly got Rogue Trooper.

When I chose Nikolai Dante I thought it might actually get him when the last two questions were "does he have a beard?" and "is he Russian?"

Then it accused me of being 'a smart guy who answers randomly"!

Then it continued, but still didn't get it.

I'm not surprised that it didn't get Dante as he is not a well known character, but those two last questions the first time. Quite a coincidence.

I tried it on Nemesis - there were two questions that made me pause though - one about whether they've ever lived on Mars and whether they're a robot - well, if you're counting Deadlock as part of Nemesis then yes to both of those, but I answered no, as Deadlock was only one with Khaos for a short(-ish) time.

Eventually it got it wrong and presented me with a list, one of which had Nem on.

"Character already played 197 times,
last played on 17/04/2018 - 02H43."  - which of you was up at quarter to three in the morning educating it unto the ways of the Warlock?

Tjm86

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 May, 2018, 09:18:22 PM
As a 51 year old English graduate it's rare that I come across a word I  don't know- I have just learned 'haptic' and I'm delighted

See now, if you'd done Computer Science you would've know that one.

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 May, 2018, 11:10:47 AM

Or paid attention to Indigo Prime*

* Prog 2057, art by Lee Carter, script by Nigel Long

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 05 May, 2018, 11:10:47 AM

Before I hit wiktionary - something to do with touch?

Tjm86

yep.  Some sort of feedback when pressing or interacting with devices.

Dandontdare

ok, so everyone knows this word except me!  :-[

Smith

CNN calls Kanye a white supremacist.  :lol: :lol: :lol: