Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I'm having American Shitter flash backs. God almighty, what was Mills THINKING?!

Bolt-01

American Reaper!

I'd clean forgotten the title of that particular tale entirely.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

"Like shooting fish in a barrel" is a shite idiom for a simple task.

First you have to get a barrel, fill it with water, then catch a fish, somehow get the slippery fucker in the barrel, then get a gun, load the gun, get ear protection (I don't know if you've ever fired a gun, but they're bastard loud), and fire the gun at the barrel. Once you've done all that, your barrel is rendered useless and it's leaking diluted fish guts everywhere.

In conclusion "Shooting fish in a barrel" is an altogether convoluted and messy way to dispatch a fish, not simple and straight forward at all. The better way to kill a fish is called "Fishing", it's even a shorter and simpler one word affair.

I propose a new modern version:

"Like causing outrage on twitter"

Just ask the folks at Gilette
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Smith

In what movie somebody makes a similar case for "taking a candy from a baby"?  :-\

Dandontdare

this is fun - go to Unread posts, select ALL unread posts and go to the last page to see what this board was talking about 15 years ago. I've just read through an absolutely hilarious 4 page argument between Scojo (former resident troll and dickhead of this parish) vs Si Spurrier, Gordon Rennie, Jim Campbell and WR Logan about how his future shock idea is so much better than anything Alan Moore or John  Wagner could write, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Plus a few good thread ideas that I may necro-resurrect (or start afresh claiming the credit for the idea)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 January, 2019, 09:24:04 PM
this is fun - go to Unread posts, select ALL unread posts and go to the last page to see what this board was talking about 15 years ago. I've just read through an absolutely hilarious 4 page argument between Scojo (former resident troll and dickhead of this parish) vs Si Spurrier, Gordon Rennie, Jim Campbell and WR Logan about how his future shock idea is so much better than anything Alan Moore or John  Wagner could write, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Plus a few good thread ideas that I may necro-resurrect (or start afresh claiming the credit for the idea)

Sweet feck, I'd forgotten about scojo.  Sharky recently described a dream he had that was a better future shock by miles than anything Scojo had done.  (Sometimes, having serious mental issues doesn't save you from being a gobshite.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trout

I enjoy Brussels sprouts cooked in maple syrup and garlic.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

Ah, my fishy liege- that sounds lovely, but I doubt anything will be better than sprouts with creme fraiche and bacon...

A treat my teenagers actually requested be on the table for Christmas dinner.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 January, 2019, 09:24:04 PM

Scojo was a bit before my time, but in the days I frequented the ECBT2KAD message board (long past) he was prowling those stomping grounds last I checked, berating Henry Flints art by pointing out inconsistencies* every week of Day of Chaos.

[spoiler]*They where not, he just clearly has an ADHD level of attention to detail and tried to worm his way out of being called out. Rinse and repeat for 18 months.[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 January, 2019, 11:38:09 PM

Sweet feck, I'd forgotten about scojo.  Sharky recently described a dream he had that was a better future shock by miles than anything Scojo had done.  (Sometimes, having serious mental issues doesn't save you from being a gobshite.)

Thank you, er, I think...?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 17 January, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 January, 2019, 06:14:52 PM
I always thought it was a unisex insult conflating bastard and bitch

Yep. That too.[/quote

Me three.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 January, 2019, 06:56:27 PM
But how do we say bastich?  Bas-teesh or bast-itch?

I've always read it as the second one.

My vote is on the itchy version.

sheridan

Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 January, 2019, 02:22:16 PM
"Like shooting fish in a barrel" is a shite idiom for a simple task.

First you have to get a barrel, fill it with water, then catch a fish, somehow get the slippery fucker in the barrel, then get a gun, load the gun, get ear protection (I don't know if you've ever fired a gun, but they're bastard loud), and fire the gun at the barrel. Once you've done all that, your barrel is rendered useless and it's leaking diluted fish guts everywhere.

In conclusion "Shooting fish in a barrel" is an altogether convoluted and messy way to dispatch a fish, not simple and straight forward at all. The better way to kill a fish is called "Fishing", it's even a shorter and simpler one word affair.

I propose a new modern version:

"Like causing outrage on twitter"

Just ask the folks at Gilette

But first you have to acquire a computer or mobile device capable of using twitter.  Then you need to sign up for an email address. Then you need to create a twitter account.  Then you need to get enough followers that when you say something controversial (or uncontroversial that somebody insists on taking offence at anyway) then it will be noticed.  Not so simple!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 January, 2019, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 January, 2019, 11:38:09 PM

Thank you, er, I think...?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was referring to Scojo, of course. Tordelback (I think) once posted Scojo's video audition to be the new James Bond on the board. It was terrifying.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"