Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2018, 07:57:10 PM
Hawkie, if you haven't already you must listen to the commentary tracks, especially Season 1. They're up there with the Conan the Barbarian commentaries for sheer entertainment, and the sensation of sitting in a pub snug with the crew is palpable. You'll never look at golf courses the same way again.
Ooohh, I love me a funny commentary, will give them a listen one wet sunday morning.

Wrapped up Season 1, it's a lovely little series, well worth the investment and being shot on film has really given Network (the masters of Cult British TV on bluray, if folks haven't already invest in their Quatermass remaster, one of the very best blu-rays of the last decade) something to work with, it all looks so very vibrant and colourful, if the 2018 Robin Hood movie is half this entertaining it'll be a right romp.

TordelBack

I wouldn't bet on that, despite the Divine Minchin* being involved. 

Didn't cop that this was a new release of RoS - hopefully they include the DVD commentaries (and extras).  The missus and I both loved that series at the time of broadcast, and we regularly re-watch it the DVDs.  It's sometimes hard to remember, aside from the 6th Doctor, The Tripods and V this was it for broadcast TV SF/fantasy in 1984.

We still play Dragon Warriors with my kids, the British RPG not-remotely-loosely inspired by it (it has an Assassin character class which is basically Nasir, right down to the white-washing and the fact that the example character in the book is called, errr, Nasir) simply because the spooky, grimy atmosphere still works so well.

*Daughter was in cut-down production of his Matilda musical last week, and despite by belted out by 50 Tallaght tweens, it was still lyrically mesmerising.  The man is a bonafide genius. But Friar Tuck...?  I dunno.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:06:30 PM
I wouldn't bet on that, despite the Divine Minchin* being involved. 

Didn't cop that this was a new release of RoS - hopefully they include the DVD commentaries (and extras).  The missus and I both loved that series at the time of broadcast, and we regularly re-watch it the DVDs.  It's sometimes hard to remember, aside from the 6th Doctor, The Tripods and V this was it for broadcast TV SF/fantasy in 1984.
All of which I own! Don't know what that says about my antiquated tastes but my god despite slim pickings where the options available good ones. I'm trying to recall a post-apocalytpic series i think ran from the late 80's into the 90's, or maybe it was just reruns, about a holy knights order. I think Lewis Collins might have starred in it...hhmm....

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 August, 2018, 11:31:54 AM
I'm trying to recall a post-apocalytpic series i think ran from the late 80's into the 90's, or maybe it was just reruns, about a holy knights order.

Sounds like Knights of God:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_God

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Greg M. on 18 August, 2018, 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 August, 2018, 11:31:54 AM
I'm trying to recall a post-apocalytpic series i think ran from the late 80's into the 90's, or maybe it was just reruns, about a holy knights order.

Sounds like Knights of God:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_God
Thats the one! Was good fun that, if I recall correctly, grim viewing for a 5 year old. And it was Gareth Thomas I was thinking of, obviously of Blakes 7 fame.

TordelBack

Yeah, long live the Knights of God!  I know it had a conclusion, but always felt like it was only getting started, and rather hampered by its unexciting Songs-of-Praise title.  Patrick Troughton's last work too, wasn't it?  It's not available anywhere, is it?

KoG always reminded me of another post-apocalyptic quasi-Arthurian thing, a short series of kids' novels, where Winchester was (again) the capital of England, and machine guns held the balance of power.  I can see the armoured lad on the cover, but not the title!

Told the missus about the Robin of Sherwood Blu-Ray, and it's already been ordered!  A geeky wife is a joy forever.

Hawkmumbler

Alas no, looking into it KoG is one of the more prominent titles tied up in the legal battle between ITV and Sky over the rights to former TVS titles. It's unlikely to see a home video release anytime soon.

And good on Mrs. Tordels! More love for RoS can only be good (and maybe get the 2006-2009 series 2 and 3 on blu-ray, pretty please BBC/Network?)....

Tiplodocus

TOAST OF LONDON seems quite funny on the evidence of first three episodes.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 August, 2018, 10:20:18 PM
TOAST OF LONDON seems quite funny on the evidence of first three episodes.

I love Toast. I cannot hear the question "can you hear me" without replying "yes I can fucking hear you Clem Fandango"

But Holy Shitsnacks, Archer s.9 has dropped on Netflix.
Wait.. I had something for this ... something about it not being as good after season 4 ... nope, it's gone.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 August, 2018, 08:07:21 AM
Wait.. I had something for this ... something about it not being as good after season 4 ... nope, it's gone.
Who drinks a pint of Grappa?

TordelBack

Latecomer to Toast too, but now one of my (many) favourite Arthur Mathews things, and definitely Matt Berry's finest hour.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 August, 2018, 10:57:40 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 August, 2018, 08:07:21 AM
Who drinks a pint of Grappa?

I actually heard one of my office colleagues say "ouch, my earballs" once during the fire alarm test :lol:

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 August, 2018, 12:16:33 PM
Hmm .. don't like the sound of an entire series being mined from the plot of the movie. I look at so many of these Netflix SF series and think that they sound like a great movie synopsis but can't be arsed watching that idea stretched over 13 hours.

Fargo & Westworld stand as two examples of where this actually works out pretty damn well.

IndigoPrime

I approached Fargo in a very sceptical fashion. Within a few episodes, I was hooked, eagerly wanting to know what would happen next. It's a relentlessly imaginative and twisty series, which echoes the original movie, but does new things in a brilliant and yet authentic (to the movie world) way. I only wish I'd enjoyed Noah Hawley's work on Legion to the same degree. (Season two was so horribly terribly slow and dull, even if it frequently looked gorgeous.)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 24 August, 2018, 10:21:29 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 August, 2018, 12:16:33 PM
Hmm .. don't like the sound of an entire series being mined from the plot of the movie. I look at so many of these Netflix SF series and think that they sound like a great movie synopsis but can't be arsed watching that idea stretched over 13 hours.

Fargo & Westworld stand as two examples of where this actually works out pretty damn well.

I thought Fargo was different characters and a new, but similar, story, set in the same place - I'm talking about an entire season that just re-tells very slowly the plot of the original movie. From what I remember of the Westworld movie, there was barely enough plot for 90 minutes!