Main Menu

Celebrity Fans

Started by pert, 20 September, 2013, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

He was ... probably definitely not now though ;)

Frank

British director Peter Hewitt said he was a fan of 2000ad, and was actively trying to land the Dredd film gig in the early nineties. He directed Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, The Borrowers, Garfield and Thunderpants, so at least his Dredd film would have been funny.

Sadly, he's not the same person as Peter Howitt - who played leather trousered ladies' man Joey Boswell in shitter than you remember eighties sitcom Bread, and went on to direct Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors for some reason. Although, prior to the invention of the internet, I thought he was.

While we're on film industry types, Robocop screenwriters Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner are big fans of Dredd comics.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: radiator on 23 September, 2013, 09:46:04 AM
And apparently Die Antwoord too.

Die Antwoord.
Dredd is alluded to in a few ways but they also mention 'like a Rogue Trooper' in one song.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 23 September, 2013, 05:16:30 PM
British director Peter Hewitt said he was a fan of 2000ad, and was actively trying to land the Dredd film gig in the early nineties.

He may get his wish yet, Hewitt wil be working with Herr Urban this October on their next film, The Wonder. Maybe he'll be pitching for that 'sequel' everyone's been talking about.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 September, 2013, 06:43:58 PM
British director Peter Hewitt said he was a fan of 2000ad, and was actively trying to land the Dredd film gig in the early nineties.

He may get his wish yet, Hewitt wil be working with Herr Urban this October on their next film, The Wonder. Maybe he'll be pitching for that 'sequel' everyone's been talking about.

Se-sequel????!!?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 September, 2013, 06:43:58 PM

SOAP's demonstrating a new game he's devised for long car journeys, Six Degrees of Karl Urban.

Prog 520 contains a list of 10th birthday greetings from a list of the showbiz world's brightest lights, including: Lemmy, Werzel, Jonathan Ross, Scott Ian, Suggs & Carl, Hank Wangford, Robert Smith, and - quite implausibly - RUN DMC. It doesn't help that the reported good wishes of the latter are "Dredd is totally def. Chill out", which is what my Mum would come up with if she was trying to fake a telegram from a hip hop crew. The Reverend Run does appear to hate crime, mind you.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 23 September, 2013, 07:17:41 PMSOAP's demonstrating a new game he's devised for long car journeys, Six Degrees of Karl Urban.

I was hoping to trade under 6 different rounds of Karl Urban.

I, Cosh

How obscure can we get here? I know Brooker's on the telly now, but his fellow Saturday Guardian reviewer Nicolas Lezard has mentioned his 2000AD sub more than once. He reads it then bins I along with the TLS apparently.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 September, 2013, 08:45:26 PM
How obscure can we get here? I know Brooker's on the telly now, but his fellow Saturday Guardian reviewer Nicolas Lezard has mentioned his 2000AD sub more than once. He reads it then bins I along with the TLS apparently.

Aye, he did a feature on 2000ad in The Independent for the 30th anniversary which made me seek out Origins. Getting tenuous, Neil Morrissey read a copy of the monthly during an episode of Boon. He chuckled "Nemesis the Warlock!" as he settled down for a read, and since the lord of flies didn't feature in that particular issue I'm assuming he (or someone involved) had some prior knowledge of 2000ad.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Robo-K33F

Richmond Clements

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 September, 2013, 08:18:09 PM
Bless your heart.

I loved all that stuff you wrote with Ian Le Frenais.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 September, 2013, 08:21:11 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 September, 2013, 08:18:09 PM
Bless your heart.

I loved all that stuff you wrote with Ian Le Frenais.

Cheers!

Jim

Oh I'll gladly take the credit for that!

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember a letter or something from Robert Smith of The Cure in an 80's prog. 

Die Antwoord for sure; they used to be called MaxNormalTV.

The Manic Street Preachers - I remember an old interview where they bemoaned the fact that writers like Pat Mills, John Wagner and Alan Moore don't get as much recognition as 'proper' book writers.  Wonder what they made of Garth Ennis's Muzak Killer?

Not that god-awful Halo James, though, as I vaguely remember the lead singer's description of Halo Jones as being something like: 'He's this cool guy who blows aliens away.'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"