Main Menu

Wraparound covers on the iPad app

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 May, 2014, 09:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 June, 2014, 12:40:52 PM
Comicrack makes double page spreads work by simply turning my tablet on it's side.

But It won't work for wraparound covers because they aren't next to each other.  It would be cool if they could be included as a little add on at the end of the prog.

My experience of the 2000ad iPad app is the same. Double page spreads - no problem, just turn the pad to landscape. Wraparound covers - no can do. Boo.

Trout

Yeah, I just turn the iPad sideways and I see the spread properly. There's so little dialogue in Slaine that the balloons aren't a problem.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 11 June, 2014, 12:34:39 AMWraparound covers - no can do. Boo.
Pye explained this in the recent podcast. It's something that's come up at Rebellion HQ, but would require a partial rewrite of the app, and so is therefore seemingly a feature request for the future. From a logic standpoint, the app simply gives you pages from a PDF, one at a time, and then shifts to a two-up view in landscape. With a DPS cover, you'd have to tell the app "put the last page *before* the first page for this issue, but start at the second page and enable people to scroll across" or something similar. Easy in writing, but not a trivial change when it comes to UX.

Eamonn Clarke

Sadly there isn't currently anyway to do this in the app. However, I have passed your suggestion onto the development team!

Kind Regards,
Aaron

glassstanley

Why not repeat the front cover at the end of the PDF?

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 June, 2014, 12:40:52 PM
Comicrack makes double page spreads work by simply turning my tablet on it's side.

But It won't work for wraparound covers because they aren't next to each other.  It would be cool if they could be included as a little add on at the end of the prog.

I got around that by editting the cbz file. I converted it to a zip file (which just involved renaming it with a .zip extension instead of '.cbz) so I could access the internal files. As you're probably aware, the pages are named by the page number in the order they're too appear in the reader. I renamed the  last page (the back cover ) to a number less than the front cover. So when comicrack positions it, it puts it first, so wraparound cover in two page spread. Rename the file back to .cbz and Robert is your Mother's brother.

You shouldn't really have to go through that rigamarole though... although I found it kinda fun.There have been changes lately in the way Comicrack displays the first page ( or is it the comic format) where this might not work through. There's always a blank screen before the first page in single page mode which means when turning your tablet landscape for double page mode, the first page is set on the right. That ruins the wraparound page thing although you can get around it by scrolling across and keeping your fingers on the screen, but that's pretty rubbish.

Tiplodocus

So a solution that doesn't require code changes or renumbering shenanigans, might be to just put the two pages of the DPS cover at the end of the PDF file in an order that makes it display with maximum thrill power when you turn the tablet on it's side.  Would that be viable?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Eamonn Clarke

the digital copy of 1921 includes the full wraparound cover image today.
lovely stuff
Thanks to the Droids for sorting this

ThryllSeekyr

Speaking of which.....

I need all the wraparound covers for Slaine everyone of them....

Starting with Massimo's, McMaHon's, Fabry's, Bisley's, Lanely's, Davis

I need covers for all the Book of Scars

Would be cool if I could get double page art splitting each story from the Book of Scars

All of the Davis covers.

Of the wraparound covers, I have a few of, but not to all the right scale.....to fit a page.

Please

It's for that project I messing around with.

glassstanley

They are all in the Book of Scars GN, I believe.

ThryllSeekyr

Yeah, I was just wondering if anybody would put them up here or is that a bad thing to do?

ThryllSeekyr

The Barney site needs updating. If anybody still maintains it.

I assumes a number of identities need to be brought up to date, and especially Slaine.

Needs the covers, done by the team of artist who worked on the Book of Scars progs and then the latest Simon Davis covers.

The Graphic novel section may need all the Slaine graphic novels added as well if you think it matters.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 July, 2014, 04:38:30 PM
So a solution that doesn't require code changes or renumbering shenanigans, might be to just put the two pages of the DPS cover at the end of the PDF file in an order that makes it display with maximum thrill power when you turn the tablet on it's side.  Would that be viable?

The 200AD Android App actually works magically well for wraparound covers. Colour me chuffed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!