Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 August, 2017, 09:41:22 AM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 09 August, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
Just listened to the latest Thrill-cast and there's some revelations from Tharg on there as to what will be included in the MC extension - I won't put any spoilers to give people a chance to listen.

The 40 Years of Thrill-power Festival: Editors Reunited panel thrill cast?
No there's a new one that's not on iTunes yet. Ultimate Collection and Halloween special interview with Tharg himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apestrife

Books hinted at in the thrill cast [spoiler]Dredd vs crime (graveyard shift perhaps?) and more (of the later day) Anderson. Lawless. I'm hoping for some post DoC books. Hoping Wagner, Williams and Carrol should get one or two each. [/spoiler]

JaHawkDroid

Ooo Lawless? I was thinking of buying the paperback today. Will hold off in that case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalHab

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 09 August, 2017, 11:44:36 AM
Ooo Lawless? I was thinking of buying the paperback today. Will hold off in that case

This is exactly what I don't understand about Rebellion's marketing tactics. Sure, go ahead and give Hachette Nemesis. Long term fans already own (multiple) copies. But why give away your prime new material which is still shifting trades? It's not as if someone who hasn't picked up a prog in ten years knows anything about Lawless.

Anyway, hopefully it's a success that leads to more subscriptions.

I, Cosh

Quote from: CalHab on 09 August, 2017, 12:02:49 PM
Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 09 August, 2017, 11:44:36 AM
This is exactly what I don't understand about Rebellion's marketing tactics. Sure, go ahead and give Hachette Nemesis. Long term fans already own (multiple) copies. But why give away your prime new material which is still shifting trades? It's not as if someone who hasn't picked up a prog in ten years knows anything about Lawless.
It's almost as if it could be a good idea to try and let these people know that there are top quality strips running right now! Which they could be enjoying if they pick up the actual comics on a regular basis. Maybe even manage the schedule so that a Lawless volume drops through the letterbox just as the new story is starting in the Meg!
We never really die.

Molch-R

Quote from: CalHab on 09 August, 2017, 12:02:49 PM
But why give away your prime new material which is still shifting trades?

A point raised in this week's podcast - we've seen absolutely zero cannibalisation of sales. The Mega Collection has actually boosted sales of our comics and graphic novels.

CalHab

I'm glad to hear that. I'll have a listen to the podcast later.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Molch-R on 09 August, 2017, 12:33:36 PMA point raised in this week's podcast - we've seen absolutely zero cannibalisation of sales. The Mega Collection has actually boosted sales of our comics and graphic novels.
That's good to hear, if a little surprising. But then I suppose the collectors here are a tiny minority. I know I've decided against buying Dredd trades until the MC is done, but then Rebellion's presumably making money from the partworks anyway, and I'm still subbing to the Meg and 2000 AD in print, and buying other trades (like the Luke Kirby hardback).

Frankly, anything that gets the word out is good. And if I'm being honest, although I suspected the Dredd partwork would do well enough in test to actually happen, I figured 2000 AD was a tougher sell. I'm glad to see that it's going to exist as well, even if I'm still on the fence myself. (Also: ARGH.)

robert_ellis

It seems counter intuitive but I still buy the odd trade as well as the MegaCollection. It was great to re-read 'Every Empire Falls' knowing more about Armitage & Dollman. Sometimes it's odd that Titan & Judge Joyce stories have been 'doubled' up between the MegaCollection & recent-ish trades. Looking at the MegaCollection I could have done without Sleeze N Ryder & The Corps but overall it's astonishing how much good material there is. Especially at £10 for a 200+ page hardcover. Glad to hear there'll be more Anderson - maybe the Boo Cook stuff?

TordelBack

I have been carefully cherry-picking Mega-Collection volumes and I am regularly stunned by looking at the run of material I have accumulated (so far).  It has definitely slowed my Casefiles buying, but casefiles are more than twice the price and as a result I wasn't getting more than 1 or maybe 2 at most a year (say €45 on average): my MegaCollection spend of maybe 10 volumes (€140!) a year dwarfs that. Plus I will eventually catch up with the Casefiles, especially with Doomsday on the horizon, so Tharg will get my cash anyway. 

As for other 2000AD trades I've probably never bought more than I have in the past few years, but I still reckon cherry-picking the new collection will outstrip that by some multiple: especially if Complete Dante is a real runner.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 August, 2017, 03:34:48 PM
I have been carefully cherry-picking Mega-Collection volumes and I am regularly stunned by looking at the run of material I have accumulated (so far).  It has definitely slowed my Casefiles buying, but casefiles are more than twice the price and as a result I wasn't getting more than 1 or maybe 2 at most a year (say €45 on average): my MegaCollection spend of maybe 10 volumes (€140!) a year dwarfs that.

It killed my case file purchases stone dead. I got as far as Judge Dredd 19 and 3 of the 4 Restricted files plus a bunch of Nemesis, Robo Hunter, Anderson etc but since the MC I haven't bought a single Tooth GN bar the Misty one and the Scream one.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 August, 2017, 02:10:29 PMI could have done without Sleeze N Ryder
Oh, man. I didn't remember that at all, and finally read it last night. It's awful. It reads – and to some extent looks – like a teenager's idea of 2000 AD, as printed in a fanzine, not what you'd expect in the real thing. But of course quite a lot of the comic was like that back then. And people grumble about the comic now. *shudder*

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 August, 2017, 03:37:42 PMIt killed my case file purchases stone dead.
Same here, to the point I'm offloading some of them. I think I stopped Dredd at 21, and Anderson at 3. I won't buy more now. But to coin an Apple idea, if there is any cannibalisation, have it be with your own product. When iPad sales slowed, it was mostly because people were buying the iPhone Plus. If phone book sales are hit (and, from what Molch-R said, that hasn't happened, and even people posting here suggest it's a drop in the ocean), it hardly affects Rebellion if those sales simply shift sideways.

Steve Green

Yeah, pretty much stopped here as well - it's either HBs like Dan Dare, Cursed Earth etc. or replacing the larger runs with digital.

Will likely pick up the odd one, missed out on the final Abnett Durham Red, so would be good to have that in a single volume. I don't have the space for Dante though.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 August, 2017, 04:06:08 PMI don't have the space for Dante though.
I... don't understand that sentence. It just doesn't parse.

James Stacey