Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

The Ennis story (Earth, Wind and Fire) was on a hiding to nothing in following the Wagner/MacNeil stuff, but it isn't awful. Worth tracking down? Probably not. His one-episode Dead Man's Curve is so unmemorable that I can't recall a single thing about it, bar some snippets of Emond's odd artwork.

The McKenzie strip, Supersurf 13, is dire – total bollocks.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 January, 2018, 10:44:31 PM
His one-episode Dead Man's Curve is so unmemorable that I can't recall a single thing about it, bar some snippets of Emond's odd artwork.

I loved the artwork (and cover) by Martin Emond for that one-off.

True story; Jug McKenzie inspired my teenage attempt at building a makeshift throne out of beer cans.
Didn't work.

Jade Falcon

I finally got round to reading Stars of Psi Division, and lets say not my favourite volume.

Firstly, Karyn I don't mind as a character, but the art style in the first two stories really grates for me, it's just not something I like.  The Janus stories weren't bad but nowt spectacular and the pyrokinetic character is very much a one shot type, though I'm aware she was used in a few stories.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

robert_ellis

Indigo Prime thanks for the advice. When something gets a terrible review I kind of want to read it! I loved Edmond's art on early Toxic Accident Man (if that's the same artist). The Karyn art was confusing in its stark graphic nature but showed hints of genius.

Davgardo

From starting as such a great collection this is all turning a bit sour for me.

In the last 10 volumes, 5 have been, in my opinion, exercises in reprinting dross that otherwise would never again have seen the light of day: World at Law, Indie Operators, Weird Science, MC Underworld and Stars of PSI.
We STILL have no idea what the extension might include, while over at the 2000AD Ultimate Collection they've had a release that puts the JDM's recent releases to shame: an Ezquerra Collection featuring Fungus, Starborn Thing, Condo, Young Giant, Return of the King, The Time Machine and more.

I get the distinct impression the p*ss is being taken.

IndigoPrime

Horses for courses, I suppose. While none of the five you list are among my favourites, I was pleasantly surprised on re-reading two (World At Law and Weird Science). That said, I'm not prioritising Stars of Psi-Div in my reading pile...

The collection does at times feel a bit stretched – like a 60-book list expanded to 80. I do wonder what the next ten books will include.

robert_ellis

I agree that the series has over-featured some average non-Dredd stuff. Hoping the last 10 are more Joe-centric. What's glaringly missing???

IndigoPrime

Incidentally, I got the premium subs letter, despite not being a premium subscriber. Seems like that erroneously went to everyone. I got confirmation on Facebook my subscription would not change.

EDazzling

eh, from my perspective the best volumes of the series are exactly the ones everyone hates. I've got the Case Files, and some other trades, so I'm much happier with a trashy volume of Meg-Dregs than a High Quality Dredd book that I already have 80-100% on my bookshelf.

(And thru the collection I've discovered that the "house-style" of the 90's Megazine is one I find pretty entertaining even when it's shit. (Which it largely is.))

Tjm86

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 January, 2018, 04:24:23 PM
What's glaringly missing???

TBH that is part of the problem, there is nothing that you would point to and say, 'you MUST read this or you won't get Dredd'.  That said, there are some quality runs that could do with an outing.  Cam Kennedy almost took up residence during the 400's with some quality strips.  Sladek's appearance hasn't been given an outing yet has it?  Neither has the Warlord which has the additional quality of a) following up from Haunting of Sector House 9 and b) featuring McGruder's resignation. 

The recent Return of the King volume would have had me hanging on with my subscription but that is now sadly no longer an option.  I guess the Robot Wars would help give some context to Doomsday but it's not essential.  Perhaps an Oola Blint volume (or serial killers of MC1?)  How much of the Edgar material is left to publish?

I think I may well cancel my subscription and see whether anything worthwhile is published.  The silence is not particularly encouraging.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 January, 2018, 06:14:24 PM
What's glaringly missing???

TBH that is part of the problem, there is nothing that you would point to and say, 'you MUST read this or you won't get Dredd'.  That said, there are some quality runs that could do with an outing.

There's still no Otto Sump; still no Kenny Who? And to be honest, I'd happily buy Mad City II, III, IV and V!
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 January, 2018, 06:14:24 PM
Neither has the Warlord which has the additional quality of a)

...being just a little bit racist.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Davgardo

I agree that the series has over-featured some average non-Dredd stuff. Hoping the last 10 are more Joe-centric. What's glaringly missing???

The Cal Files/The Cal Legacy, Question of Judgement Trilogy, Robot Wars, Blood of Satanus, The Executioner, Pirates of the Black Atlantic, Graveyard Shift, Citizen Snork, The Warlord, The Falucci Tape, Alabammy Blimps, Justice One, The Exterminator. I mean, I could go on.

My knowledge of the last 10 years is very sketchy but I am sure there's a load of stuff that could be used.

I understand that people who collect the Case Files appreciate the reprinting of 90's Megazine stuff more than me. But it comes down to: is the quality sufficeint to justify a reprint? And IMO in 90% of the case it's not. I'd much rather have 5/6 Mad City type volumes collecting a load of one offs that I've read before than Harmony, Cal Hab and bloody Pan African Judges.

oddballuk

First volume of the extension revealed: Tales of Ordinary Madness.

Through the power of squinting I see it's an entirely Wagner/Grant volume with art by Ron Smith, Kev O'Neill, Brendan McCarthy, Ian Gibson, Chris Weston, Simon Davis Cliff Robinson and Colin Wilson!

Tomwe

Finally got a reply on FB regarding that print letter they sent out, even to non-premium subbers. Was easy to assume all would be fine but wanted to be sure.
I also had a bit of a rant about the lack of forthcoming details on the extension, to which the mods replied the extension would include the Dark Judges. With Dark Justice being part of the 2000AD collection, I suppose that points to the Tales Of Deadworld. Any other DJ stories left out so far?