Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 January, 2018, 07:12:04 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 January, 2018, 06:14:24 PM
Neither has the Warlord which has the additional quality of a)

...being just a little bit racist.

Bullet for you, Tojo!

Despite the context of equal-opportunities national/racial stereotyping widely practised in the prog of the time, depictions of the Japanese do seem to be a particular issue for 2000AD - and Wagner in particular.

Sadly exemplified here in one of my favourite stories of any era.  And "Aieee! Blakee Pentax!" can't be far off in the Ultimate Collection either.  Trying to view this stuff as cautionary tales, or indeed "teachable moments"..

Jade Falcon

Let's face it some of the stereotyping in general was a bit outdated. Scotland for example in Harlem Heroes, Savage etc. I've practically never heard anyone talk like "Bonnie Scotland" and we don't all go around dressed in tartan, but at the same time it's not offensive.  Mind, using Harlem Heroes as an example maybe isn't the best one when you see how they also represent Japanese, Russians, Germans etc. :)
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tjm86

Do we need to comment on the irony of the Scottish stereotyping in tooth over the years?  The nationality of the lead writers?

Aye, HH really did showcase British sensibilities towards foreign nationals (granted as did the Warlord and Robo Hunter).

Well, looking at that volume 81 and having invested in the bookplate Fall of Deadworld, I'm bowing out.  Some of the other suggestions from around here would have kept me in but I reckon I'll wait and see what ebay offers at some future point.  As someone pointed out quite early on, part works never offer a good return on investment.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 10 January, 2018, 06:05:17 PM
Do we need to comment on the irony of the Scottish stereotyping in tooth over the years?  The nationality of the lead writers?

Yeah. I've considered all that as context for The Warlord, but then I asked myself if I'd be OK if a super-powerful adversary turned up from the Pan-African Conurb with a bone through his nose and Dredd called him Sambo... and I really wouldn't.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Yeah, it's a really naff moment that even at the time struck a weird wrong note.

Why is a 22nd century cop using a derogatory racial term from the WW2 era?

Jade Falcon

Robo Hunter I remember being around, but I never really read much of it, this The Warlord story though is one I'm pretty sure I never read before, any info?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

TordelBack

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 10 January, 2018, 09:35:20 PM
Robo Hunter I remember being around, but I never really read much of it, this The Warlord story though is one I'm pretty sure I never read before, any info?

It's great, apart from the aforementioned issue. [spoiler] Evil warlord from the Radlands of Ji summons the giant indestructible Seven Samurai and they go on one of the most exquisitely drawn rampages through the City in the strip's history, CJ McGruder takes the blame for mishandling the affair[/spoiler].  I won't spoil any more, but it's one of my favourites.  I just wish it wasn't so very badly off on the race side.  For the same issue, see also another Dredd strip I love, Our Man in Hondo.

marko10174

I've only just recently read the warlord for the first time. I honestly don't remember seeing any stereo types or racist themes, then again I'm a bit obtuse to these kind of things. What is it about the story that could be perceived as being politically incorrect?

IndigoPrime

marko10174

That was an interesting read Indigo, I had never heard of the term "Tojo". I'm assuming the line in the warlord "bullet for you tojo" was spoken by Dredd? If so I can't help but find that quite comical. It's an old story, a product of it's time, but I do find something quite comical about Dredd being so politically incorrect. I do have a dry sense of humour though. I'd be curious to see how different Dredd would have turned out if Pat Mills had been at the helm, instead of Wagner.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2018, 11:08:59 PM
This sums things up: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tojo

And it wasn't just hidden away in the strip - it was on the bloody cover too. A long time ago, to be sure,  but still 40 years after the War.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: marko10174 on 10 January, 2018, 11:23:32 PM
I do find something quite comical about Dredd being so politically incorrect.

Again: substitute a powerful villain from the Pan African Conurb with a bone through his nose and have Dredd call him Sambo. Still comical?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 10 January, 2018, 05:20:04 PM
Let's face it some of the stereotyping in general was a bit outdated.

Ireland was spot-on. I'm talking about Sláine.

marko10174

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 January, 2018, 11:42:02 PM
Quote from: marko10174 on 10 January, 2018, 11:23:32 PM
I do find something quite comical about Dredd being so politically incorrect.

Again: substitute a powerful villain from the Pan African Conurb with a bone through his nose and have Dredd call him Sambo. Still comical?

Did that actually occur in a Dredd strip?

marko10174

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2018, 11:24:09 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2018, 11:08:59 PM
This sums things up: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tojo

And it wasn't just hidden away in the strip - it was on the bloody cover too. A long time ago, to be sure,  but still 40 years after the War.

I can't believe it featured on the front cover! it's hilarious due to lack of subtlety and how inappropriate it was, a real face palm moment. But it goes to show how far the strip has come.