Main Menu

DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection!

Started by rogue69, 18 July, 2015, 12:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Yahtzee

They reckon that the fans are so loyal they'll buy any old tosh with the DC logo.

Professor Bear

Perhaps, but it's official now that the company is losing millions on its monthly print line despite the fact THEY OWN SUPERMAN AND BATMAN.

Mattofthespurs

Wow!
I would have thought that the implications of the owners of Superman and Batman losing money and, possibly, going under would have been a bad thing.

Personally I'm a big Supes and Bats fan so the thought of any comic producer, especially as a comic fan in general, is a horrific prospect to consider.

'Any old tosh'? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I want comics to prosper, and I think Marvel, DC, and Rebellion are doing a great job.

I imagine, by the sounds of things, I stand alone.

Which makes me sad for me and for the industry.

As long as it's fun, is my mantra. And 'Hush', for my money, is fun enough.

Dandontdare

I don't think I was alone in using the "new 52" reboot as a convenient jumping OFF point - all "my" stories are finished and consigned to history, I wasn't interested in starting all over again with new continuity. Haven't bought a single DC item since.

If "all new all different" Marvel has the same effect, I'll save a fortune (and probably  read a lot more diverse and interesting comics!)

Mattofthespurs

This is a shame, in my opinion.
Some of the 'New 52' stuff (and not all, by no means) is superb.
Too many Batman titles is a problem, and the quality if 50% is questionable.
I still despair at comic fans *almost* pleased that a company or a title is failing though.
This goes against the grain as far as I'm concerned.
The more, the more diverse, the merrier.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 October, 2015, 06:02:21 PM
The more, the more diverse, the merrier.

Isn't that the whole point? That the stranglehold of the capes and tights brigade have reduced comics to a shadow of their former glories,a trough it's only recently beginning to climb back out of with the reinvigoration of the indies and the long-overdue decline of DC and Marvel?
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Their isn't a thing the big two are doing that the small press isn't doing better though.

Professor Bear

DC make their money from licencing.  Their print losses might be an industry joke, but hardly a silver bullet.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 21 October, 2015, 05:53:56 PM
I don't think I was alone in using the "new 52" reboot as a convenient jumping OFF point - all "my" stories are finished and consigned to history

This may be the one thing that DC have actually taken note of, as there's a new Superman book out - Superman: Lois and Clark - that features the post-Crisis/pre-New 52 Superman and Lois Lane in current DC continuity alongside their younger New 52 counterparts.

The Legendary Shark

It's just gone up by a quid an issue, which is just the excuse (coupled with the terrible recent Green Arrow two-parter - arrows with boxing gloves on the ends? Seriously? Jovus crept...) I've been looking for to ditch this collection. I've found most of the stories to be dull, boring, childish, impenetrable and/or downright silly with very few exceptions.

I'll be trying the new Star Trek collection instead, the first two volumes of which I have enjoyed a heck of a lot more than the majority of this piffle.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 August, 2015, 02:08:26 PM
Hush is absolutely terrible and has only two things going for it:
#1 Jim Lee gets to draw all of Batman's villains, and
#2 a decent cliffhanger where it turned out Jason Todd was the baddie behind everything, only it turned out in the next issue this was a fake-out to mess with Batman's head.
The problem with #1 is that if you don't like Jim Lee - and plenty don't - this is not actually something for the plus column, and the problem with #2 is that it's lifted entirely from Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's Batman run from the early 1990s, which was not an obscure time in Batman's publishing history, it was when he was a cultural phenomenon again after the release of the first Burton film and his comics were selling a million copies each month in North America alone, and were reprinted in multiple territories including the UK.  Even by DC's standards of recycling old glories, that one is pretty shameful as it entailed not reprinting the Grant/Breyfogle run so as not to devalue the impact of what they were then pushing as a significant title in DC's roster, but it's worth noting that once Norm Breyfogle was back in the news for his health problems, they couldn't cash in on that publicity fast enough with a reprint of his stories.
Actually,Hush was almost a remake of Long Halloween.Loab was stealing from himself,really.
Still I like the story,but there are those who dont.
Hush himself got better once Paul Dini took him in.Thats something of a trend.And btw,Dinis run on Detective and Streets of Gotham is awesome,and sadly unappreciated.

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 October, 2015, 04:49:05 PM
Perhaps, but it's official now that the company is losing millions on its monthly print line despite the fact THEY OWN SUPERMAN AND BATMAN.
Not what the sales numbers say.2017 has been a GREAT year for DC Comics,in almost every way.

Professor Bear

You're quoting a post from 2015.

I don't doubt DC are doing better these days as the post New 52 butthurt subsides and the fanboys come crawling back for their fix, but retail sales figures for North America are pretty much arbitrary, so good luck finding concrete proof that either DC or Marvel are just breaking even.  Axel Alonso only just got the boot as Marvel CEO for a series of events that were, apparently,  successes.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 January, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
You're quoting a post from 2015.

Yes when what you said, by all available evidence, was still poppycock.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 January, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
...so good luck finding concrete proof that either DC or Marvel are just breaking even. 

Yet neither are any of the points you make supported by evidence, yet you seem to assert them with such certainty when they, from all I can see, based on very little.

DC are making some horrendous decisions in my opinion, not from a business sense but from other perspectives, but I suspect they are doing quite nicely financially.

Should say that I have no comment to make on the quality of their books, as at the moment aside from Mark Russell's Hanna Barbera stuff I've not read anything by them for a year or more now I don't think. Such a shame as I was such a fanboy for so long, but we move on... well some of us do...