Main Menu

DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection!

Started by rogue69, 18 July, 2015, 12:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

At LFCC Eaglemoss were showing off issue 1 of their new partwork "DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection!" Batman Hush pt1 which is due to launch in the next few weeks. It's the usual format hardcover with a few extras at the back. They also recon that volumes will come out in numerical order instead of the usual part 5 being volume 34 their issue 5 will be volume 5 etc.

Issue 1 is £2:99, issue 2 is £6:99, then it's £9:99 every 2 weeks, but for an extra £1:00 an issue you can get 3 extra novels of Geoff John's Green Lantern saga

Issue1 is Batman hush pt 1 issue 2 is Batman Hush pt 2, 3 is Superman: Last Son Of Krypton 4 is Justice League: Tower Of Babel 5 is Superman Batman: Public Enemies
http://www.eaglemoss.com/en-gb/comic-heroes/dc-comic-books/

Mattofthespurs

I subbed to this on it's trial run.
Never had any money taken but they did send me issue 1 with a letter explaining about the 're-launch'.

Mattofthespurs

Now launching nationwide on the 19th of August.

Professor Bear

Jesus, those are some pretty bad comics with which to be trying to launch a partwork!
DC has some great stories on its books - a lot more than Marvel, IMO, and objectively classic stuff that could tie into upcoming movies (like Batman vs Superman) such as that Moore/Gibbons annual or Dark Knight Returns - so I have no idea why they're starting with flash-in-the-pan horseshit from a decade ago like Hush, or Public Enemies, a book not only mired in larger DC continuity of the time, but on its own merits, one of the worst comics I have ever read.

JamesC

If they were printing truly classic stuff which, for some reason or other, hasn't been served well by reprints elsewhere I'd be all over it. Some 70's Superman, Grant/Breyfogle Batman, silver age Flash for example.
Can't say I'm bothered about the line-up as it is though.

Fungus

Yup.
Hush does/did feature on a recent DC page ad, pimping their "greatest" GNs. They seem to rate it, anyway. Always looked like mediocre tosh to me.

Professor Bear

Hush is absolutely terrible and has only two things going for it:
#1 Jim Lee gets to draw all of Batman's villains, and
#2 a decent cliffhanger where it turned out Jason Todd was the baddie behind everything, only it turned out in the next issue this was a fake-out to mess with Batman's head.
The problem with #1 is that if you don't like Jim Lee - and plenty don't - this is not actually something for the plus column, and the problem with #2 is that it's lifted entirely from Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's Batman run from the early 1990s, which was not an obscure time in Batman's publishing history, it was when he was a cultural phenomenon again after the release of the first Burton film and his comics were selling a million copies each month in North America alone, and were reprinted in multiple territories including the UK.  Even by DC's standards of recycling old glories, that one is pretty shameful as it entailed not reprinting the Grant/Breyfogle run so as not to devalue the impact of what they were then pushing as a significant title in DC's roster, but it's worth noting that once Norm Breyfogle was back in the news for his health problems, they couldn't cash in on that publicity fast enough with a reprint of his stories.

Link Prime

I do enjoy Jim lee's work, and don't mind the story itself, but agree Hush isn't a great choice to kick-off this part-works.

JamesC

Hush is okay - nothing special.
I imagine the Jim Lee art and the fact that it includes a shit load of Bat villains is the main reason for publishing it.
This collection seems to be aimed pretty squarely at people who are just getting into comics.
If it was for people more familiar with the industry you'd think they'd concentrate more on the big name creators and their seminal works - Morrisons Animal Man and Doom Patrol, possibly even Millar's Authority (Wildstorm but ultimately owned by DC), Moore's stuff, even Kirby's Fourth World.

Professor Bear

Superman: Man Of Steel, Arkham Asylum, the Sandman Presents: Death spinoff gns (beloved of emos everywhere), Moore's Swamp Thing, Waid/Morrison/Millar's The Flash, Morrison's Animal Man, Starlin's Batman run from the early 1980s, Simonson/Bogdanove's Steel, David's Supergirl, David's Young Justice, the issues of Hitman that featured superhero appearances (including what was widely considered the best Superman comic in years at the time), Morrison's Action Comics, Morrison's JLA, Waid's Impulse... these are all high-quality or have appeal based on current adaptations of the characters in other media, and are also entry-level comics - and I don't even include the Vertigo stuff that kept entering best-seller lists.
To read stuff like Hush or Public Enemies again I would need to be doing a professional review for a website or print journal or something, so they would literally have to pay me to read those comics, and not the other way around.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

The problem is DC have been creatively bankrupt for several decades, this collection is merely going to reflect a publisher that doesn't care about quality.

Quote from: Fungus on 05 August, 2015, 01:51:45 PM
Hush does/did feature on a recent DC page ad, pimping their "greatest" GNs. They seem to rate it, anyway. Always looked like mediocre tosh to me.

Very perceptive, that's exactly right.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 05 August, 2015, 05:04:47 PM
The problem is DC have been creatively bankrupt for several decades, this collection is merely going to reflect a publisher that doesn't care about quality.

"Decades" is a little unfair, as DC were still making some good comics as late as 2001.

Bat King

Well I enjoyed Hush part 1. Never read it before and I found it fine. Interestingly this will be around the time I really started to pull back from Marvel & DC I think...

My review.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Mattofthespurs

Anyone who buys part 1, it comes with a promotional blurb as usual, but they do have a picture with a list of all of the titles in the run.

NapalmKev

I bought Hush for a laugh as I haven't read it before. Even at the low price of £2.99 I still feel I've overpaid. The story isn't engaging at all, and I can't help but wonder what goes on at DC Comics. Did the "powers that be" really consider this as a good launching story for a Collection?

Probably won't get part 2 or anything else for that matter.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"