Main Menu

*** Prog 2000 ***

Started by Dash Decent, 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Now up for pre-order at the Thrillshop: Go here.

If you order you can choose which cover you want.  Subscribers will be given one or the other at random.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
Subscribers will be given one or the other at random.

Tharg should have commissioned a variant cover from Frank Miller, just to introduce an element of Russian roulette.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2016, 05:57:32 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 08 September, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
Subscribers will be given one or the other at random.

Tharg should have commissioned a variant cover from Frank Miller, just to introduce an element of Russian roulette.

Satanist

No matter how many times I see that image I can never figure out WTF is going on at the bottom half.  :lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Frank

Without challenging the board consensus that Miller is a terrible man - and that even the great old comics he did were always rubbish anyway - I'm going to put my Nuremberg defence counsel hat on and point out that he's concentrated the detail on the image area, reducing the parts he knows will be obscured by text to abstraction.

Crop it, tell the colourist to mute the colours on the leg and boot - so the gun pops - and nobody but Tharg would have been any the wiser. I'm sure I remember someone mocking this up before - it might have been me ...

P.S I know it was meant for The Megazine

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Frank on 08 September, 2016, 07:41:39 PMand nobody but Tharg would have been any the wiser
The tiny snags there are 1) it's still at best a weird and not very good image, and 2) didn't Miller flip out when suggestions of making minor changes were made?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 September, 2016, 07:48:10 PM
didn't Miller flip out when suggestions of making minor changes were made?

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Dash Decent

This picture works if you think of Dredd's lower torso hidden in the shadows and the strange thick legs/boot being part of something else.  That left leg (on the right of the picture) doesn't even meet up with Dredd's body in the right place (or even 'doesn't meet up with Dredd's body' full stop).

Did Miller ever explain why he did it this way?  Did they tell him to finish in a hurry or did he just decide "Ah, stuff this!" halfway through?

Quote from: sheridan on 08 September, 2016, 06:01:26 PM

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Timothy

If only there was a Dredd artist that Frank could look to who does exaggerated body parts (especially feet) and tricks of perspective well.

Magnetica

Anyway...back to actually discussing Prog 2000....

So subscribers will randomly get the Cliff Robinson or the Chris Burnham one.

I kinda think it would have been better to be told which one we were getting so we could pre-order the other one. (?)

TordelBack

It really does look like Miller had some sort of idea that Dredd is this tough armoured cop that is drawn by the crazy stylised boots guy, so he'll show him unphased at being stuck with loads of tools while bullying a little fella, and then, um, boots...? And, I dunno, faces are hard, a beard, maybe? Ah, close enough, send the invoice.

TordelBack

Oops, sorry Magnetica! Prog 2000 Mk. II. Yes. That. Proceed!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 September, 2016, 11:00:49 AM
Anyway...back to actually discussing Prog 2000....

So subscribers will randomly get the Cliff Robinson or the Chris Burnham one.

I kinda think it would have been better to be told which one we were getting so we could pre-order the other one. (?)

I agree but it looks like we'll have to wait and then order the other one.

On a different note, first Saturday in yonks that the Prog has failed to arrive. Grrrr.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 September, 2016, 12:17:29 PM
On a different note, first Saturday in yonks that the Prog has failed to arrive. Grrrr.

Same here  :(