Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

That's a pretty lacklustre launch lineup for the Switch-less impressive than the Wii U even.

Can't really say there's enough to justify a purchase for me, as of yet.

Mario Kart's a port of a Wii U game and the only other title to interest me is Zelda, which I can play on my Wii U.

Some exciting future titles, like a Resident Evil exclusive, may ignite my interest but, as of now, the Switch will be the first Nintendo console I haven't bought at launch since the Gamecube.

I really hope Nintendo have secured better third party support this time as without them I can't see the console existing on first party titles alone.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Satanist

Quote from: dweezil2 on 20 January, 2017, 11:40:00 AM
I really hope Nintendo have secured better third party support this time as without them I can't see the console existing on first party titles alone.

See the Wii-U. Nintendo pissed of 3rd party back with the cartridge fees and since they've needed to downgrade ports and add in waggle just to find out nobody wants anything on a Nintendo machine except Mario & Zelda I wouldn't hold out hope.

Check out the original Wii, Sold a ton, there was some good, original stuff came out on that at the start and if you check the top 20 sellers its all Nintendo bar 2 which are both Just Dance.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

dweezil2

Quote from: Satanist on 20 January, 2017, 02:29:15 PM

See the Wii-U. Nintendo pissed of 3rd party back with the cartridge fees and since they've needed to downgrade ports and add in waggle just to find out nobody wants anything on a Nintendo machine except Mario & Zelda I wouldn't hold out hope.

Check out the original Wii, Sold a ton, there was some good, original stuff came out on that at the start and if you check the top 20 sellers its all Nintendo bar 2 which are both Just Dance.

That's why I'll be waiting for a price reduction and an increased library before taking the plunge.

Not a huge gamer anyway and the titles I've yet to complete on the Wii U will keep me occupied until then.

radiator

As I said previously, don't buy a Nintendo console expecting any kind of serious thrid party support - at least, not from the big publishers. What the Switch can (and should) offer is a smattering of amazing first party games, a lively indie marketplace and a retrogamer's dream in the form of a new and improved Virtual Console.

If the Switch can't offer all of those three things, it's doomed imo.

Something Fishy

I got the wiiu and was very let down by it's never having the range to work as i had hoped.  It had some good games but the lack of third party means I haven't used it in years.  I won't be going for the switch which looks like a better mobile idea but once again behind the powerful envelope and with a poor launch lineup.  I'll see how it goes.

WhizzBang

There is a lot of talk about 3rd party software here but do Nintendo really need it? They have set themselves apart from MS and Sony by keeping focused on the younger market, instead of the young adult market of the other two and so they don't need Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto type stuff. They have the potential to sell millions of copies of their own top franchises (Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, etc) and at a high price point too.
Wii U may have confused the parents as it was sometimes perceived as an add on to the Wii so they need to make clear that the new one is something new and then they will likely have a success given the quality of their games.

JamesC

Quote from: WhizzBang on 22 January, 2017, 05:31:51 PM
There is a lot of talk about 3rd party software here but do Nintendo really need it? They have set themselves apart from MS and Sony by keeping focused on the younger market, instead of the young adult market of the other two and so they don't need Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto type stuff. They have the potential to sell millions of copies of their own top franchises (Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, etc) and at a high price point too.
Wii U may have confused the parents as it was sometimes perceived as an add on to the Wii so they need to make clear that the new one is something new and then they will likely have a success given the quality of their games.

I can see where you're coming from but they're launching the Switch with a Mario game 9 months off, a 3 year old Mario Kart game, a Zelda that's available on the previous hardware and no Metroid game on the horizon.
What exactly is there to get excited about?

WhizzBang

Quote from: JamesC on 22 January, 2017, 05:47:48 PM

I can see where you're coming from but they're launching the Switch with a Mario game 9 months off, a 3 year old Mario Kart game, a Zelda that's available on the previous hardware and no Metroid game on the horizon.
What exactly is there to get excited about?

Well, it is a pretty amazing thiing for children - remember that children have not seen it all before. The portability aspect is pretty nifty for children as they can play in their rooms when they can't use the TV and they can also take it to friends houses to play. Children are far more likely to do this sort of thing than adults are.

It is okay that the Mario game is a while off as this thing won't hit its stride until xmas anyway. Most children are not fortnate enough to get these things given to them during the year.

Nintendo can re-hash old games like they do because they are high quality and a large proportion of children won't have played them before because they were too young or not even born when it originally came out.

There is nothing to get excited about for young children when it comes to PS4 and XBox One as there is barely anything on those that caters for them. This machine is the only console on the market for the younger age group and it's biggest competitor is actually the ipad and iphones of the parents. The games on those are far cheaper but few are in the same league as the top Nintendo releases.

JamesC

I'm sure everything you say will be borne out in a year or so but as it stands there really isn't much to play on it - it's a very lacklustre launch IMHO.
I really do hope they turn it around and make a success of it though!

Link Prime

Just rummaging around eBay this evening, Nintendo Switch "confirmed pre-orders" can be yours for as little as £500 sterling.
What a world.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: dweezil2 on 20 January, 2017, 03:11:32 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 20 January, 2017, 02:29:15 PM

That's why I'll be waiting for a price reduction and an increased library before taking the plunge.

Not a huge gamer anyway and the titles I've yet to complete on the Wii U will keep me occupied until then.

Post Brexit, post Trump, price reductions will be a rarity
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

Do Rebellion ever do stuff on Nintendo consoles? Rogue aside?

Surely this is the console on which to do Slaine: Grand Theft Dragon.

Look at this thread; at least three people might buy such a game after it's been out a while and dropped in price.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 January, 2017, 11:33:08 PM
Do Rebellion ever do stuff on Nintendo consoles? Rogue aside?

Surely this is the console on which to do Slaine: Grand Theft Dragon.

Look at this thread; at least three people might buy such a game after it's been out a while and dropped in price.

Dredd Vs Death was on the Gamecube, Free Running on the Wii and Sniper Elite V2 on the Wii U.

A remastered Dredd Vs Death on consoles would be nice.

Rumour is there will be a video game announcement at the 40th bash!  :)

Tiplodocus

Genuinely don't remember Dredd vs Death on the GameCube. Best controller ever!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 February, 2017, 09:04:52 PM
Genuinely don't remember Dredd vs Death on the GameCube. Best controller ever!

As per usual for third party games on a Nintendo console, Dredd Vs Death on the Cube came out some months after the PS2 and X-Box versions.

Still a fun title and yeah, got to love that game pad!  :thumbsup: