Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteThe flying and battle sequences look really cool - but really that is the sort of thing I expect them to up their game on every time.

I feel like they're missing a trick somewhat in the space battles in the new SW movies - everything's too flashy and moves too fast to track properly. It all looks kind of videogamey to me. I dunno, something about them doesn't really feel 'connected' when they intercut between exterior and interior cockpit shots. I'd like to see them get back to the tactile feel of the smaller scale space battles in from the original movies, which themselves felt kind of like a throwback to WWII dogfighting movies.

TordelBack

It's a good point. I had almost dismissed the dogfighting in TFA as background fireworks because it was just too fast to focus on, but when I did an umpteenth rewatch of a shiny Blu-Ray copy the other week, and took the time to concentrate on what was going on, it was really very cool: especially the Starkiller Base stuff, some lovely starfighter sequences.  Slowing it down, paring it back, maybe following one pilot through the fight (in the way the TIE fighter heist at the start works), would make it more accessible for older doddery types like me.  But I suspect that's rather unlikely to happen.  "Faster, more intense!" hasn't gone away, you know.

I'm liking that booster rocket thing that's apparently jury-rigged to the back of an X-Wing in the new trailer.  Interested to see how that comes to be: I immediately assumed it was Poe, but then it occured that[spoiler] it might be something Rey fixed up to get Luke's old X-Wing back in the air and off Ach-Too[/spoiler].   

Magnetica

I do hope that wasn't a pod race I glimpsed though.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Cheers!  Gotta admit I thought they'd ditch that 'Act Two' name once Episode VIII was in production, it's a bit on the nose (ahem) even for Star Wars: even after 'Wobani' (Obi-Wan) and 'Scarif' (It's Gareth) in Rogue One. 

radiator

QuoteSlowing it down, paring it back, maybe following one pilot through the fight (in the way the TIE fighter heist at the start works)

Yup, the TIE fighter escape works much, much better, mainly because we're following two characters we like, there's a smooth escalation of peril, and we actually have a tangible sense of whats going on. The Starkiller attack by contrast just doesn't work on any level for me - it's completely devoid of tension or excitement, 'background fireworks' as you say. Maybe that's by design, and if it is, then why bother having it in the film at all? TFA is such a frustrating watch - the first half is so well done, and then it just completely falls apart about halfway through.

edgeworthy

Okay am I alone in seeing Plif the Hoojib in the trailer?

Goaty

TordelBack

Ooh yeah, that's levitating all the right rocks for me.

radiator

Is it just me, or is there relatively little hype about this movie, considering that its barely more than a week from release? I'm really not hearing anybody talking about it in the real world, and no one's even posted on this thread for over a month...

And is it just me that has found all of the marketing materials and trailers seriously underwhelming? Maybe Disney are supremely confident about this movie and are deliberately holding a lot of cool stuff back?

I mean, it's obviously going to be a big hit and all, but I'm just not really feeling a palpable sense of awareness and excitement about this movie in the way I did in the run up to the release of Rogue One and especially TFA...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 05 December, 2017, 05:19:06 AM
Is it just me, or is there relatively little hype about this movie, considering that its barely more than a week from release? I'm really not hearing anybody talking about it in the real world, and no one's even posted on this thread for over a month...
I mean, it's obviously going to be a big hit and all, but I'm just not really feeling a palpable sense of awareness and excitement about this movie in the way I did in the run up to the release of Rogue One and especially TFA...

Speaking as a non-fan who watches the trailers out of curiosity... all looks pretty samey, dunnit? Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon, lightsaber battles, etc etc, same old same old - even more so than previous films. I don't see much to get excited about. It looks the absolute definition of 'generic Star Wars movie'.
@jamesfeistdraws

SIP

This is the first of the "new" films that I've got high hopes for. Force awakens had to, understandably I think, tick a lot of boxes to get the franchise rolling and Rogue One was just plain horrible (bad film).....but this I think is the first opportunity for a director to make his own film. Obviously Disney have been impressed with it enough to throw this director another trilogy.

I've got a good feeling about this.

And next Thursday..   I guess I'll know!

Magnetica

Is there an element of it falling into a routine: 2nd week of December = new Star Wars movie?

I guess loads of fans (including me and my son) will automatically go and see it regardless of any trailers or advertising.

Mardroid

A bit of an aside, but speaking of merchandise: I processed some Porgs at work at the warehouse of a popular online retailer on Saturday/Sunday. They made a strange chattering sound as I pushed them into the bins* for the robot to take away.**

I think some small children are going to be delighted, and some adults very irritated over the next few months...  :lol:

* I wasn't throwing them away. They'd be shelves to you and me, but they're referred to as bins at work. They're part of a shelving unit called a 'pod'.

** I'm actually not making that up. I work with robots sometimes.

abelardsnazz

I guess there was a big hoo-ha about The Force Awakens as it was the first film in the franchise since the underwhelming second (first) trilogy, and the trailer had the Millennium Falcon, Stormtroopers etc., reminding so many of us of our youth.

Now here we are, three films in to an established regular franchise - I'm still excited, but it's somewhat diminished, for me, in the same way as when Doctor Who returns each year. However when the opening logo comes up and the music starts, those hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I don't want to be anywhere else.