Main Menu

Hellboy Reboot

Started by Steve Green, 09 May, 2017, 07:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 May, 2017, 08:13:51 PM
I was looking forward to del Toro's Hobbit too!

*coughcoughAtTheMountainsofMadnesscough*

In a parallel universe, the list of films Bizarro del Toro did make is pretty awesome.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I really don't like Del Toro and I'm indifferent to Hellboy. Some of the comics are quite good but I didn't enjoy the films.
I do like Neil Marshall though - The Descent and Dog Soldiers are two favourites of mine. Doomsday is a fun b-movie style adventure (but his weakest film) and Centurion was a cool historical action film.
I'm excited to see Neil Marshall return to feature films after a few years doing TV.

Goaty

positronic

I loved the two Del Toro Hellboy films, and consider those to be among the best of all films based on comic books, certainly by far better than most of the films based on Marvel or DC properties, if you exclude stuff like Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

What you probably have to ask is if the Del Toro films didn't make a lot of money, is that Del Toro's fault, or simply the fact that Hellboy isn't as well-known as the Marvel and DC character films that can become blockbusters, and generally have heavy money put into advertising, promotion and tie-ins to Burger King or McDonald's or Coke or Pepsi.

I, Cosh

I would agree that big Guillermo directed one of the very best comicbook adaptations. It was called Blade 2.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Keef Monkey

That does look fantastic. I'm still a bit grumbly that it's not a third Del Toro film, and it's odd that if they didn't want to continue that take on it they've opted to ape the look of the Del Toro HB so much (the one person I showed the picture to didn't believe me it was from the new production and thought it was a publicity shot from one of the Perlman films).

Just bitter, I want the end of that trilogy damn it, and this whole endeavour confuses me a bit. I'll still be first in line to watch it though.

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure what else they could have done in terms of design. Both are faithful to the source material, hence them being similar.

Zarjazzer

Looks great. Hellboy worked for me as I felt  they stuck fairly close to the original material and inspiration.

And look.

lookin' forward to more on this.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Goaty

Mmm did they used the makeup from previous Hellboy? Sadly they don't do third film.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 14 September, 2017, 09:52:07 AMLooks great. Hellboy worked for me as I felt  they stuck fairly close to the original material and inspiration.
The first film was a bit Elseworlds for me (Hellboy being much more immature than in the books, and Kroenen being an entirely different – but badass – character), but it still felt respectful to the source. To my mind, the second film was much more 'Hellboy', with its plentiful nods to weirdness, fairy tale logic, and strange beings littered about the place. It's a pity they didn't finish the run, but there you go.

The animations they did at the time aren't bad either.

Mardroid

That really does look marvelous, although I have mixed feelings about a reboot, due to the others being so good. It would be nice if it were set in the same universe, or could be, i.e. don't include anything that contradicts the previous films. [spoiler]Of course, the fact he had a kid in the last film, might make this problematic, but this could be set earlier than the other films. Not a true prequel, though if it is a stand-alone self-contained movie.[/spoiler]