Main Menu

Judge Dredd spin off graphic novels.

Started by marko10174, 19 July, 2017, 02:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I'm trying to explore as much of JD's world as I can and I love reading GN's that focus on other characters from his world. So far I've collected Mean machine real mean, chopper surf's up, the pj maybe collection, cursed earth Coburn, missionary man, and megacity undercover. Here are others I've discovered but not purchased yet....

shimura, hondo city law and justice.
The fatties.
The taxidermist.
Fink angel...

Are there any others you guys could recommend?

Dark Jimbo

Banzai Battalion is a personal favourite!
@jamesfeistdraws

Smith

I second Banzai Battalion.Taxidermist,definitely.
Hondo City Law/Justice maybe.I cant say if you would like it.It seems to be a very divisive thing.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Steve Green

If you're picking up Lawless, you'd want to pick up Insurrection first. Although it's connection to Dredd is a bit tenuous, being set on the colonies.

marko10174

I LOVE Chopper! Surf's up is one of my favourite gn's, and of course Oz, midnight surfer and un-American graffiti are sheer brilliance as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys, banzai battalion sounds like an odd story but has awesome reviews on amazon so I will have to purchase it when I get paid next. Insurrection and lawless sound great as well so I'll be purchasing them as well. I actually saw a video review of the hondo city stories and they look great so I'll definitely be getting them as well. Keep the suggestions coming!

Taryn Tailz

Depending on how much you enjoy Film-Noir and its associated conventions, I would highly recommend picking up 'The Simping Detective' graphic novel. It remains one of my very favourite Dredd-world releases. :)

hippynumber1

Colin YNWA

Another vote for Lawless but as stated down thread via Insurrection which is almost as glorious.

Fungus

Another vote for Simping Detective. Hugely entertaining.

Magnetica

Yeah I'll recommend The Simping Dectective, Insurrection and Lawless as well.

marko10174

Al's baby is set in Dredd's world? I'm glad people are giving positive opinions on simping detective, it keeps falling on my radar, so I'm definitely going to have to buy it now. Isn't Devlin Waugh set in Dredd's world? I ordered swimming in blood the other day, I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

hippynumber1

When Al's Baby first appeared in the Megazine the first page was a robot history teacher telling its class about the first male pregnancy in Mega-City 1 (presumably to justify its inclusion in the Meg.) I don't recall if this 'preface' has ever appeared in any collected edition.

Echidna

Last time this came up I think I said you had to be a fan of Damon Runyon to enjoy Al's Baby, but on further reflection it stands up well enough on its own - the dialogue and narration are snappy even if you don't know what it's pastiching, and it has a lot of fun with the premise (it breaks water on Junior from a great height).  It's got zero to do with Dredd though.

Banzai Battalion is fun; Insurrection and Lawless are bloody brilliant.

DrJomster

Another vote for Devlin Waugh here. Still on sale digitally if the gods are with you. Some awesome action awaits with amazing artwork by all concerned. Very 90s in parts, but very entertaining at the same time.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.