Main Menu

Meg 388 - This Means Waugh!

Started by Freddychopper, 16 September, 2017, 08:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddychopper

Wow! Managed to start the Meg thread for a second week in a row. Is no-one else getting their copies? We do have a new postie so maybe Tharg has employed him.
Nice fine and dandy Devlin Waugh cover
Anyway, another strong Megazine this month with a nice one off Dredd that focuses on the relatives of his 'victims' in a support group which was a neat idea. Some very Cam Kennedy style art from Nick Dyer that fits in with the story pretty well.
Anderson chugs along nicely and loved the Lego people robots! My bank is the same ( you'll know what I mean when you read it)
The return of Devlin Waugh felt a little bit flat for me but I know it's only the first episode. Is this the first time John Smith hasn't written Devlin? I always liked his first story with the prison and vampires. It could end up being good , so will wait and see. Artwork certainly captured Sean Philips Devlin's likeness.
Good Frank Miller career spotlight even if I know pretty much everything it focused on. The other text article is a book review about Comics Storytelling which will be good for the kiddies!
Dredd Furies conclusion has a naughty swear word in it but is a pretty action packed end to the tale. Nuff said.
Standout strip for me again is Wagner & Percival's Dark Judges Dominion. This, to me is what a Dark Judges film could be without any Dredd related stuff. Nice, moody, gruesome and has a tense claustrophobic feel to it. Love how some pages just let the amazing art tell the story and build the suspense. Really reminds me of The Thing meets Aliens meets Walking Dead. That last page is a belter!
Lawless returns next month as well. Yay!
The floppy a 'Whatever happened to..?' compilation with Tweak, Giant, Maria, The Griblings, etc, etc
So now you know!  :)

Freddychopper

Ooops - started the thread with the wrong issue number!  (387 instead of 388 What a virgin!) Can anyone change that???!

oshii

Quote from: Freddychopper on 16 September, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
Is this the first time John Smith hasn't written Devlin?

Not written by John Smith? Didn't know that.  What's the story there I wonder?

Frank

Quote from: oshii on 16 September, 2017, 10:06:50 PM
Quote from: Freddychopper on 16 September, 2017, 08:07:13 PM
Is this the first time John Smith hasn't written Devlin?

What's the story there I wonder?

You're not the only one.

ZenArcade

Belting Alex R cover.  Disappointing (To put it mildly) that John Smith isn't penning the story.

Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richard

I think we're all disappointed about that, but there's probably a reason for it, and there hadn't been a new DW story for ten years. I'd rather have a good DW story by someone else than no DW ever again. Let's give Rory a chance to see what he can make of it. I wasn't aghast at the first episode, so here's hoping.

The Dredd one-off was good. Seemed like a lenient sentence at the end though -- [spoiler]20 years for 50 murders?! Give over![/spoiler]

Dominion is, of course, utterly brilliant, and the highlight.

Will read the other stories tonight.

glassstanley

I really enjoyed Waugh. It really felt like he was back. I like how we're suddenly seeing places that Smith avoided (Vatican). It felt like Rory was staking his claim to the series.

Not a big fan of Dominion's artwork (I prefer my Dark Judges to have line art) and I'm not really sure it's going to give me anything new with the Dark Judges. The storytelling is,of course, masterful.

Dredd was a nice short, and I like the way the situation tangled the characters beliefs and histories.

Anderson is chugging along nicely. Still need to read the other Dredd strip.

As I've said elsewhere, the floppy was a great idea. I'm hopeful for a collection of the Grant flashback series of one-offs now.

Bolt-01

This was the first Meg I've read cover to cover in a good few months; so double thumbs up from me, Tharg.

Rory set up a decent tale for Devlin, and it doesn't hurt getting Mike Dowling on art, either. He's come a long way since his work for FQP and seems to be developing into a solid scribe.

Dominion reads really well, and no slight to Nick Percival, but I can't help but wonder what this would look like if Dave Kendall was on for the art.

Proudhuff

Outstanding Devlin Waugh cover from Alex.

A nice one-off Dredd that again shows a different side to MC1. Only wee grump was Dredd looks pretty chubby in a couple of frames, also the final action [spoiler]crash[/spoiler]  took a wee bit of working out otherwise Nick Dyer gives good Dredd!
Anderson chugs along at a pedestrian pace and the lack of detail and extra-lite story seems to grate on my nerves somehow.

The return of Devlin Waugh was a revelation to me, as it was always something I CBA with, enjoyed this outing tremendously.

Frank Miller career spotlight looks like it had to be passed through the lawyer office a couple of times, but still managed to let us know exactly what a obnoxious gungo-ho fannypad he is.

Dredd Furies  I liked this one, more Mighty One please.

The Deadhorse Award goes to Wagner & Percival's Dark Judges Dominion. When the Mighty W wacked the four stooges into space, I'd hoped that was us shot of them... no such luck, this and the Deadworld, really are my idea of what drags comic down.
Lawless returns next month as well. Yay!
The floppy a 'Whatever happened to..?'
DDT did a job on me

Richard

In fairness to JW, the Dark Judges are back by popular demand. At least this story will be different, in that it has them without Dredd or Anderson to contend with, and they could even win.

Also I don't care what Nick Percival paints as long as it looks as amazing as this.

Freddychopper

Quote from: Richard on 19 September, 2017, 06:17:59 PM
In fairness to JW, the Dark Judges are back by popular demand. At least this story will be different, in that it has them without Dredd or Anderson to contend with, and they could even win.

Also I don't care what Nick Percival paints as long as it looks as amazing as this.

Yeah, I really love it and I also think that things will not end well for the colonists. It kind of has a grim feeling that the Dark Judges are in charge here...

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

He was one of the IDW Dark Judges, right?

Proudhuff

You cannot kill which has not livvvvvvvvvved!

was his catchphrase, that and Stare into the cap of gloop!
DDT did a job on me