Main Menu

Strong Start to 2018

Started by Tjm86, 11 October, 2017, 06:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Quote from: jacob g on 12 October, 2017, 02:52:14 PM
New BC means more Rufus art, so I'm fine with that.

I mean, no doubt. But something new, or a sequel to Counterfit Girl would be more exciting imo

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

AlexF

The fact that Tharg commissioned more new Bad Company makes me think I'm not the only person who enjoyed the latest outing. Super excited to get more!

As to the complaints about how Milligan explains continuity, isn't the key point that he simply wanted to explore one newer trope of war stories, specifically, PTSD and government cover-ups?

With that in mind, a) it doesn't matter if this new outing follows continuity, it's more an excuse to tell a certain story using characters he created

b) given that part of the underlying premise is that our heroes don't remember what really happened, and that the government is lying to everybody, I don't struggle to believe that everything after the events of the final battle in Book 1 (if not before!) is just one version of what happened next, depending on which bit of reportage you believe.

Either way, if you want to avoid continuity rage, I think new Bad Co is best read as a sequel to the original Book 1, rather than a continuation of Book 2 and beyond, much like Halloween H20 is a sequel to Halloween's 1 and 2, and ignores 4, 5 and 6.

(Of course, teh fact that I happen to really like H20 doesn't speak too well of my taste! Love me some 90s Josh Hartnett, what can I say)

Greg M.

Quote from: AlexF on 13 October, 2017, 11:41:56 AM
Either way, if you want to avoid continuity rage, I think new Bad Co is best read as a sequel to the original Book 1

That doesn't really work though, because both Kano and Danny are explicitly the post-2002 versions, where the former has been shot to pieces on the planet of the Krool Heart and the latter has been liberated from the Krool Heart itself. (This latter idea is, notably, one of the worst Milligan's ever had.)

I'm just glad Milligan left Mac alone and didn't drag him into the continuity nightmare - although ironically, Mac's story post-Krool Heart is probably the most logical way to follow-on the series.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 October, 2017, 12:23:34 PM
the latter has been liberated from the Krool Heart itself. (This latter idea is, notably, one of the worst Milligan's ever had.)

I think the execution of the idea was even worse- with the subtlety of a 5 minute Mallett's Mallet YouTube video, they just flew a small spaceship into the side of the Krool Heart's head.

TordelBack

Quote from: AlexF on 13 October, 2017, 11:41:56 AM
The fact that Tharg commissioned more new Bad Company make Super excited to get more!

I was enjoying the latest BC too, right up to the end where any potential reality-bending cleverness evaporated into Millsian point-pounding, leaving the preceding plot exposed as a load of inconsistent nonsense.  Lovely art, very commendable message, but sadly nothing beyond that. 

Please stop mentioning Mac, Milligan might be reminded that he hasn't fecked up his character the way he did Flytrap, Thrax and even Tommy.

I'm a fan of BC, The Bewilderness, BC2 and Kano, but for me the rest of it, from BC3 (2002) on has been an exercise in messing about.

Magnetica

Thing is Thrax and Tommy died in book 1, so it doesn't work to say it's an alternative book 2.

The thing for me is Pete Milligan said he would explain it...but so far he hasn't.

I don't want 2000AD to go down the route of ignoring characters' deaths (apart from Johnny Alpha of course).

Magnetica

TordelBack

Everyone died except [spoiler]Danny, Mac, Tommy and Kano[/spoiler].

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Magnetica on 13 October, 2017, 02:43:35 PM
Thing is Thrax and Tommy died in book 1, so it doesn't work to say it's an alternative book 2.

The thing for me is Pete Milligan said he would explain it...but so far he hasn't.

I don't want 2000AD to go down the route of ignoring characters' deaths (apart from Johnny Alpha of course).

I'd include Johnny's death.  I thought his death was a hauntingly beautiful moment and I was unhappy that it never really happened after all. 
As for Bad Company, for me it ended as soon as Danny [spoiler]became the Krool Heart.[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

And don't forget that BC2015 took place on the planet Earth... Which blew up between series 1 and 2, condemning humanity to a life as scattered nomad enclaves strewn through the backwater systems.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

I always thought that could have been solved by saying this was another world that had been renamed Earth - maybe after BCII, humanity was able to re-centralise on one of the ghetto worlds - but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

sheridan

Quote from: Woolly on 11 October, 2017, 05:49:29 PM
It was a great idea to keep the love going for the 2012 movie, but ultimately has ended up feeling a bit flat.
That said, I can't wait to see how the Dark Judges will be handled!*

*(With care, hopefully...  ;))

Better than IDW, hopefully...

sheridan

Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 October, 2017, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: jacob g on 12 October, 2017, 02:52:14 PM
New BC means more Rufus art, so I'm fine with that.

I mean, no doubt. But something new, or a sequel to Counterfit Girl would be more exciting imo

I'd much prefer new Counterfeit Girl to BC that doesn't deliver on what was promised (if you haven't written an explanation of how people come back to life on a planet that blew up - don't say you have in the podcast (unless that explanation actually appears in the upcoming story?)

Richard

I suspect that the most plausible explanation is that the writer didn't bother to re-read the earlier stories before writing the new one, on the basis that he gets paid the same fee whether the story makes any sense or not. But I will be delighted if I'm proved wrong by the new series, assuming I can be bothered to even read it.

AlexF

I'll admit I too am hoping Milligan does a bit more to explain what's going on - but I still think there's an argument that even the events of Book 1, beyond the first few episodes, are potentially 'memories' of one possible version of events that various members of the Bad Company crew have been presuaded to believe.
So any character deaths / planetary explosions may not have actually happened. In this Unvierse.

It's a stretch, though!