Main Menu

Strong Start to 2018

Started by Tjm86, 11 October, 2017, 06:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I'm a little more interested in Pete Milligan's comic of The Prisoner.

glassstanley

It's probably just me getting old, but the last series of BC seemed like an excuse to put the series on the cover again, to draw in nostalgic lapsed readers. As cynical an exercise as reheating Ace Trucking & Robo-Hunter for the specials.

The first 2 series of BC were astonishing reads. I remember loving the twists and turns of Book 2, with the final reveal of the narrator being a genuinely exciting moment. I think it was one of my favourite moments in the Progs ever. All I remember of the 2015 series is the wildly ill-fitting Boris Johnson cameo.

There was enough ambiguity in the 2015 series to lead me think that there was going to be an explanation for the messing with the characters. I'll go into this new series hoping for this such a pay off...

TordelBack

I confess that I thought there would be an explanation by the end, but I feared it would be something along the lines of an ageing Danny roaming aimlessly around the grounds of a veterans' hospital on the ghetto world Look Back in Anger, clutching a potted plant and talking to the air.  So maybe no explanation was better than that.

Incidentally, I don't think there was anything cynical about the revival at all, it seemed like a very sincere attempt to do something that acknowledged Brett Ewin's legacy by two loyal friends.

robert_ellis

I thought the fact that most the cast and indeed the Earth itself had perished would be addressed. Have I missed something?

Frank

Any explanation would be a load of predictable bollocks* that would tie up subsequent stories in even more bollocks than the decision to kill the cast then bring them back.

Tharg finds himself in the same position as he was in 1994, when he was (apparently) inundated by readers demanding to know whether Fr1day was a reboot of the old Rogue or a new Rogue.

The resulting bollocks made everyone realise they really didn't want to know the answer to that question.

The 2002 return of Old Rogue had the right idea: here's the characters you used to enjoy; do you want convoluted bollocks explaining why they're back, or will we just get on with telling new stories?

* We've all watched and read enough sci-fi to know the options: dream, virtual reality, alternate timeline, clones (even a cloned planet!), robot theme park, limbo/heaven/hell ... all of these are the punchline endings to Future Shocks, not a viable basis for continuing adventures.

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 16 October, 2017, 08:56:44 PM

Any explanation would be a load of predictable bollocks* that would tie up subsequent stories in even more bollocks than the decision to kill the cast then bring them back.

I agree with your post Frank, but for me there's only one option that'll satisfy: do a complete Bobby Ewing in the Shower (i.e. Danny is still the Krool Heart, in a 'consciousness creates reality' capacity).

robert_ellis

Frank I like your attitude to this. I think a quote from you at the start of the last series might have made me read it with a different attitude. "Any Explanation would be predictable bollocks" would have cleared things up. I'm no expert on Rogue but I seem to remember 'Friday' was stylistically different to what had gone before. Clean lines had given way to murky watercolours and the Bio chips had gone. Bad Company superficially looks like a continuation of what has gone before - Rufus looked to be deliberately echoing Brett. This is what made me consider it 'Season 6 of Bad Company' rather than a bold new re-imagining. I think I'd rather we had 'untold tales' or maybe just leave Kano to rest in peace.

Magnetica

Frank, so it's not that I need an explanation  it's more that I seem to remember Pete Milligan saying on the Thrillcast around the time of the last series that he would explain it, but so far he hasn't. And I apologise if I'm miss remembering that.

If he had said "I'm going to do some stories with these characters and don't worry about how that is possible " then fine.

But as far as a recall he implied there was a reason, and just out of pure curiosity I would like to know what it is.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 October, 2017, 09:47:11 PM
... it's not that I need an explanation  it's more that I seem to remember Pete Milligan saying on the Thrillcast around the time of the last series that he would explain it, but so far he hasn't ... just out of pure curiosity I would like to know what it is.

That's a reasonable position, bud. I remember Milliglo promising answers of some kind, too.

I suspect Link Prime is on the same page as the creators. It'd be a fine explanation, in keeping with the cosmic Heart Of Darkness that was The Krool Heart.

* Doesn't work as well as Hewligan, does it? Dayglilligan?

glassstanley

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 October, 2017, 05:57:09 PM
Incidentally, I don't think there was anything cynical about the revival at all, it seemed like a very sincere attempt to do something that acknowledged Brett Ewin's legacy by two loyal friends.

Actually, I think you're right on this. I'd forgotten the timing of this. I was letting my disappointment with the series colour my thinking. I remember meeting Rufus at the Prog 2000 signing in Eastbourne and he was keen to point out how he'd based a character on Brett. He didn't know why there were so many resurrections either!

JamesC

Tharg should hire Geoff Johns - he's made a career out of writing stories (mostly predictable old bollocks) to explain continuity problems that don't really matter.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 17 October, 2017, 11:55:30 AM
Tharg should hire Geoff Johns - he's made a career out of writing stories (mostly predictable old bollocks) to explain continuity problems that don't really matter.

HA! Its funny cos its true.