Main Menu

Scream & Misty - All new stories inside

Started by matty_ae, 14 October, 2017, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 30 October, 2017, 07:40:28 AM
Do you think Sceam/Misty could survive as a regular quarterly? Maybe that's what Rebellion should work towards.
It's hard to know how a comic aimed at kids would work with a low frequency. Phoenix has momentum through being weekly. Would monthly be enough? I can't imagine quarterly working unless it was self-contained every time.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 October, 2017, 10:43:22 AM
It's hard to know how a comic aimed at kids would work with a low frequency. Phoenix has momentum through being weekly. Would monthly be enough? I can't imagine quarterly working unless it was self-contained every time.

It did cross my mind that seasonal themed specials (Spring, Summer, Autumn/Halloween, Winter/Christmas) could effectively be a quarterly title in their own right.

As you say, the frequency would mean the stories would need to be self-contained, but there's no reason why the same characters couldn't feature regularly and themes or subplots carry over to provide a narrative thread for 'regular' readers...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

We've already had a Lawless Touch reprint, so why not put some Scream! and Misty stuff in the Meg floppies, see if it attracts any casuals?  If nothing else, there's got to be a ton of Jinty strips that fit the bill for a sci-fi anthology.

JayzusB.Christ

I was hoping for something like the excellent Action special of the 90s, where characters of past British comics were updated for a modern, older readership.  This Misty / Scream special didn't reach those heights, though admittedly the bar was raised quite a bit in my mind.
But I enjoyed it anyway - just what I needed for a dark Hallowe'en e'n and a nice dose of nostalgia from an original Scream reader.  And I'll always remember The Sentinels story, which I read just after waking from a dream about a global, all-powerful fascist organisation with exactly the same three-armed swastika symbol as the one in the story.  Crazy shit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

BPP

DeathMan The Gathering is what Henry Flint was born to do.

Make it happen Tharg.

'Forget It Lads, he's a Nazi. No class.'
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Fungus

Misfire for me, I'm afraid. Hannah Berry can normally do no wrong but I think the strips fell flat. Death-Man had most oomph, and crossover T-shirts gave it all a bit of cohesion. In truth I don't think I'm the intended audience but in that case I hope McNasty reaches enough of one, if it's looking to continue.

SuperSurfer

Didn't buy this. I saw it in a thrill merchant a couple of times but I was hoping to attend one of the many comic shop events and to purchase it there. Was too busy to attend any signings or the talk at Orbital. I then kept emerging from work too late for the thrill merchants. I might have to purchase a digital version, seeing as the print version is out of stock from the 2000AD shop. 

Eamonn Clarke

Got a spare if you want one, SS. Could hand over at the next meet up or post it to you.

SuperSurfer

Thanks Eamon. I will check the thrill merchant on Tuesday after work. If they don't have it I will take you up on your offer.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

AlexF

I only just got my copy this past weekend, which I;'m a little disappointed by as I pre-ordered from the 2000AD store ages ago!

But the bigger point is that I really enjoyed it, so no matter if I'm a little late to the party!
Clear favourites for me where 13th Floor and the Sentinels, with the fairy-hunter story a close third.

Definitely keen on getting more, I'm guessing at least that this will become an annual Halloween-timed release, but maybe there's enough interest to sustain maybe 4 issues per year??

Mind you, that's not really enough to produce ongoing stories. Am I alone in thinking they could go more down the Megazine route of having fewer strips but bigger page counts for each one? I guess that'd be a shame for creators, it's always neat to have a high-profile venue for good people to get heir work in print.

I'm too young to have read Scream or Misty when they first came out, but I've been picking up most of the reprints and loving them; this updated version of the material is cracking, I'm clearly a sucker for British urban horror comics.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 05 November, 2017, 05:02:23 PM
Got a spare if you want one, SS. Could hand over at the next meet up or post it to you.
I got lucky and picked up the last copy from my not-so-local thrill merchant. Close shave, as it's sold out on the 2000AD shop.

O Lucky Stevie!

Hmmm. Diamond has this listed as in shops on 27 December 2017 for those of us who pre-orderd it outside the UK.

That's not looking encouraging, is it?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

vark

French publisher Delirium who has previously translated Charley's War, Monster, and some really good looking Dredd books, has just released a Misty Book in an oversized hardcover format.
It includes Moonchild, the 4 faces of eve, the Sentinels + two exclusive shorts: Roots (by Mills and Castell from Misty #1), Shadow of a doubt (Juan Ariza, from Misty #58).

IndigoPrime

Quote from: vark on 11 February, 2018, 11:04:48 PMoversized hardcover format
I think I'm just going to sulk for a bit and pretend that doesn't exist.