Main Menu

Judge Morph

Started by marko10174, 15 October, 2017, 09:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I know Morph appeared in the story "Question of Judgement" I'm just curious to know more about the character. Does anyone know of other stories here appeared in? did he have a son or something? I seem to have a memory of Dredd talking to another judge and saying that he knew his father or something.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: marko10174 on 15 October, 2017, 09:59:37 AM
I seem to have a memory of Dredd talking to another judge and saying that he knew his father or something.

That would probably have been Giant, son (via unjudicial liaison) of the Judge Giant who was gunned down by Orlok during the Block Mania storyline (and in turn son of Giant from Harlem Heroes).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Does anyone know of other stories here appeared in?

Tale of the Dead Man, Progs 662-668, Case Files 14.

marko10174

I don't remember him being in Dead man. He's listed as deceased, anyone know how he died?

Tjm86

Not Dead Man, Tales of the Dead Man (662 - 668).  One of the pre Necropolis warm up strips in which Dredd evaluates Kraken.  Killed in a drive by shooting.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 October, 2017, 11:02:00 AM
Does anyone know of other stories here appeared in?

Tale of the Dead Man, Progs 662-668, Case Files 14.

And, briefly (in post mortem flashback), in Garth Ennis and Cliff Robinson's First Of The Many (775), where we see Dredd's first bust as a rookie.

The strip hasn't told us any more about Morph than that he was a wise old head for Dredd to learn from. Maybe Mike Carroll's Year One and Year Two novels feature Morph; I haven't read them.

Leigh S

There's mention of Morph in Michael Carroll's Rico book

JayzusB.Christ

Wasn't his name Morphy? I thought Morph was a nickname; like Guthrie being called 'Guth'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 October, 2017, 03:34:10 PM
Wasn't his name Morphy? I thought Morph was a nickname; like Guthrie being called 'Guth'.

Other way round - it's Morph on his badge, other characters address his as Morphy.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

JOE SOAP

Question of Judgement – Prog #387

Frank

Probably. Ron Smith clearly depicts MORPH on the character's badge in Question Of Judgement (387) and Will Simpson appears to do the same in Tale Of The Dead Man (665).

Jeff Anderson puts MORPHY on the badge in the very next episode*, and when (in the same episode) Kraken calls in the 99 Red, he refers to the character as Morphy.

Ennis's story casts him as Morphy. Take your pick.

* The Y actually trails off the edge of the badge. Presumably, Anderson - like Simpson and Smith before him - read the character being addressed almost exclusively as Morph in the script and went with that on the badge, then corrected it - although Wagner's dialogue instructions would (presumably) have referred to the character as Morphy ...

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 15 October, 2017, 04:02:58 PM

Probably. Ron Smith clearly depicts MORPH on the character's badge in Question Of Judgement (387) and Will Simpson appears to do the same in Tale Of The Dead Man (665).

Jeff Anderson puts MORPHY on the badge in the very next episode*, and when (in the same episode) Kraken calls in the 99 Red, he refers to the character as Morphy.

Ennis's story casts him as Morphy. Take your pick.

Apologies for the double penetration. Rennie and Gibson's Judgement (1523-1528) features the late Judge Kenner, the erstwhile partner of Morph/Morphy. Kenner's spirit refers to his colleague as Morph; Gibson never depicts Morph(y) or his badge.

Morph(y)'s mostly referred to by his familiars, who would address him by his nickname. The only exception is Kraken, who labels him Morphy twice in the same episode (666). Balance of probabilities suggests the venerable Jayzus is correct.

TordelBack

Suggestion: judges can chose what to put on their badges, as long as it identifies them. E.g. Giant Snr, both Ricos. Morphy got to like his nickname, and had Logistics & Commissary knock up a badge to that effect when he was putting in an order for extra-tight boots.

Bat King

I can't recall any family ever being mentioned for Morph(y) - He's Morphy in Mike's The Third Law. Jn another novel he is referred to with both versions of his name... can't recall which one that was though...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex