Main Menu

Prog 2055 - Wave of Terror!

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 October, 2017, 02:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So the Prog stays on fine form, much as you were really.

A fine Dredd, always nice to have Michael Carroll back on the big man. This time ably assisted by PJ in a story very much setting up the piece, but doing so well enough.

Slaine annoyingly just side steps the dilemma we left Slaine in last time and from there its a solid episode beautifully rendered.

Indigo Prime avoids any miss giving I might have by being frankly blinding. Its just brilliant stuff. Though I did wonder if I'm meant to know the person revealed at the end the way this is going! I don't think I am... am I? Also no real progress on why we have Revere here yet, fun though it is to have him.

Sinister Dexter continues to be such good fun. Its a cracking episode skillfully drawn by two supreme craftsmen.

Absalom likewise has a fair measure of fun and japs concluded with a nice set up for action to come. Its good stuff.

So yeah a couple of blinders, a good stuff, fine opener and solid if beautiful so ya know no complaints at all really.

JamesC

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 October, 2017, 02:15:47 PM

Absalom likewise has a fair measure of fun and japs concluded with a nice set up for action to come. Its good stuff.

Don't tell me Absolom is doing a homage to 1970s Commando comics!

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

You know I don't even know what I was trying to say... sometimes I do wonder about what the hell I type here!

TordelBack

Wait, Joe Darkie is in Absolom? I knew this Revere business set a bad precedent...

Geoff

A nice cover which asks a valid question...the answer to which is, 'yes' I'm afraid. Although the artwork is glorious.

The rest of the prog is pretty great really.  Dredd has an interesting set-up, it's puzzling why MC1, given it's many current problems would be so quick to help a remote Sov mining station but that will probably become clear.

IP doesn't cause me the same problems as other more invested forumites, it's completely unintelligible and bonkers but the art's great, the characters are bizarre but have depth and more happens in an episode that in a whole book of Slaine.

Sin Dex and Absolom are action packed and fun too.  TMO has my thanks.     

Woolly

Quote from: Geoff on 28 October, 2017, 07:51:00 PM
A nice cover which asks a valid question...the answer to which is, 'yes' I'm afraid. Although the artwork is glorious.

Good point!
It really is an odd strapline when you think about it. Just asking for trouble there, Tharg!

A.Cow

Quote from: Geoff on 28 October, 2017, 07:51:00 PM

Not on the printed prog it ain't -- it's far too dark; just looks like mud with extra mud.

This has happened a number of times in the last year or so.  I appreciate there will always be significant gamut differences between digital and print, but you'd think that they'd adjust the levels a bit for the print copy.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 October, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
You know I don't even know what I was trying to say... sometimes I do wonder about what the hell I type here!
Fun and japes, surely?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 29 October, 2017, 04:49:16 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 October, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
Fun and japes, surely?

Arh there we have it. You know my mind better than I do...

.... for which you should be truly terrified, TERRIFIED....

IndigoPrime

Nice Dredd set-up with some amusing satire. MC-1 seemingly still arrogant enough to think it should be shoving Dredd's size whatever's into everything, despite the requirement here to invade someone else's turf.

Sláine. Well, I just don't get it these days. Thinking about it, the strip now feels like it wants to be a novel. The way it's written would be better suited to prose, perhaps with the odd spot illustration. The pace is absurdly sluggish, and although Davis can do no wrong, I'm just bored. (And, really, when you're in the middle of a fight for your life, is there really time for that much chat?)

Indigo Prime remains nuts. Great opening frame. Feels like it's heading to a conclusion. I do hope Kek-W's not been asked to wrap up the strip.

Sin/Dex is amusing silliness. In hindsight, this strip always worked better for me when highlighting its absurdities, running short series, and not dwelling too much on what these – let's face it – mass murderers are doing from a moral standpoint.

Absalom. Yep. Great script and art. I shall miss this one when it's gone.

Richard

One of the most common and stupid cliches in comics is people talking and fighting at the same time. I'm no expert, but I feel pretty confident in asserting that if you tried that in real life then (1) your opponent wouldn't be listening, (2) you'd get your jaw broken pretty soon, and (3) you'd lose the fight.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Richard on 29 October, 2017, 01:35:14 PM
One of the most common and stupid cliches in comics is people talking and fighting at the same time.

What's really sad is that so much early, angry, Pat Mills work savagely and hilariously lampoons that stupid cliche - most notably Marshall Law. Can he not see that he's now more guilty of it than anyone else in the prog?
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

Indeed. There's a whole episode of Nemesis book one which is just Nemesis and Torquemada fighting silently, illustrated beautifully by Kevin O'Neill. It would not have been improved by plastering speech bubbles all over it.