Main Menu

Dredd spotting in the USA

Started by Proudhuff, 01 November, 2017, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Oh I'm sure we've done this before but Old Stoney Face turns up in the most unlikely places...
So can we list them?

I'll start  :D

While listening to the Audio book of The Late Show by  Harry Bosch author Michael Connelly

the lead detective has to google Lawmaster, so Dredd, 2000ad and his bike get a mention, wonder if he's a fan?

DDT did a job on me

Echidna

QuoteShe turned the bag to study the object. It was actually slightly smaller than a dime, with a flat head and a word stamped across it.

Lawmaster

It was a word familiar to Ballard but she couldn't immediately place it. She pulled her phone so she could plug the word into a search engine.

[...]

Ballard pressed the search button and got two hits on the word. Lawmaster was the name of a motorcycle used by Judge Dredd in a series of comic books and movies. It was also a company that made leather equipment belts and holsters geared toward the law enforcement community.

Two hits?!

IndigoPrime

Perhaps the book's set in 1995 or something. (Just out of curiosity, I typed lawmaster into Google just now. 597,000 results. 58,000 in Bing.)

CalHab

Not if she was using a phone to search.

Although someone has probably made a mid-90s vintage Yahoo or Ask Jeeves app for Android and iOS.

Richard

It says movies, so no earlier than 2012.

Maybe he's mis-using the word "hits" to mean definitions, rather than the number of actual search results.

Proudhuff

or maybe just moving the story along at a clip, as this is the bit of evidence the whole book revolves round at this point  :D
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

It's Richards answer I'd say - references to two types of Lawmaster, rather than search engine hits, which is an irrelevant number for most non-Dave Gorman purposes.

TordelBack

Of course now I'm humming 'French kissing in the USA' in the officw, so cheers for that Huffington.

Woolly

Wasn't there once a story about 'Dredd spotters', or is my useless brain mis-remembering again?

Smith

Are we talking actual mentions of Judge Dredd or homages/parodies in general?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 November, 2017, 11:41:37 AM
While listening to the Audio book of The Late Show by  Harry Bosch author Michael Connelly

the lead detective has to google Lawmaster, so Dredd, 2000ad and his bike get a mention, wonder if he's a fan?

Possible mutual appreciation: John Wagner is a fan of Connelly.

FPI: You're obviously up to your knee pads in work with Origins right now, but if you do get a chance to do some reading can I ask which books and comics you've got on your bedside table?

John: At the moment I'm reading Michael Connelly's new one, Echo Park. He's one of the few writers I follow. His plots use one particular device a little too often for my liking, perhaps, but it's a minor criticism. Overall he's just about the best thriller/detective writer working today.

http://forbiddenplanet.blog/2006/set-your-lawgivers-to-hi-ex-kids-we-speak-with-john-wagner/

Smith

In Parkers Thunderbolts run,the team ends up in a bad future thats  a homage to the world of Judge Dredd.With radioactive desert,walled mega-city and law enforcers,Bosses,spoting familiar helmets.Its glorious.
A 90' issue of Howard the Duck sees Howard pursued by Judge Elmer Dweed (no,really) for pirating a Spiderman movie.

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 01 November, 2017, 06:12:23 PM
Wasn't there once a story about 'Dredd spotters', or is my useless brain mis-remembering again?

No, think you're right.  Wasn't it having a go at continuity nerds?

Richard

Judge Spotters, Megazine volume 3 no. 10, John Wagner and Tom Carney. It was having a go at train spotters.

Woolly

Quote from: Richard on 02 November, 2017, 02:52:40 PM
Judge Spotters, Megazine volume 3 no. 10, John Wagner and Tom Carney. It was having a go at train spotters.

Nice one.
Good to know that my brain still functions to some degree!