Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

The first line from the new doctor worryingly reminded me of this!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_662IqKto

:-\
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

Overall I thought it was pretty good. David Bradley made an excellent story. I'd also like to see them remake the missing episodes with him, but of course they won't, it would cost too much.

I liked Mark Gatiss, and the ending for his character. The [spoiler]1914 Christmas ceasefire [/spoiler] was a brilliant idea for a Christmas episode and it worked really well. I thought his character should have been more pro-active though; all he actually did was get attacked by a dalek and need to be rescued. The dalek could have attacked one of the doctors and then Gatiss could have shot it.

The only let-down for me was Jodie Whittaker falling out of the Tardis, which is just what Matt Smith did in his first appearance. Someone should have vetoed that.

Finally,
QuoteCertainly they seem product of a male mind ...
Well, yes, Moffat is male. Should men not attempt to write female characters then?

Leigh S

Quote from: Richard on 28 December, 2017, 08:26:08 PM

Finally,
QuoteCertainly they seem product of a male mind ...
Well, yes, Moffat is male. Should men not attempt to write female characters then?

I'd be happy if jsut Moffatt attempted it to be honest!

His women are "sexy and they know it", they wear tight, short skirts and fancy themselves soemthing rotten (especially if confronted by a clone/alternate dimension version of themselves) - they are hyper competent and brook no nonsense.  They will turn you on as they gun down that alien threat, depsite your previous aversion to violence as a solution....

so yeah, product of a male's mind, rather than character's written distinctly as female, or even human at times- Bill in this regard was to be fair a massive leap forward, but Clara, Amy and River are very much from similar hyper competent and idealised cloth

Leigh S

I'm aware this makes me sound like some kind of mental Mens Rights Activist, but compare RTD companions (and other characters such as Rose's mom or Harriett Jones) and they are just that much more interesting - I find the Godlike Doctor pretty drama draining too

IndigoPrime

Leigh: you missed (pre Bill) Moffat's leading women also being a puzzle to be solved rather than existing in their own right as characters. That gold old fast.

Leigh S

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 December, 2017, 08:53:37 PM
Leigh: you missed (pre Bill) Moffat's leading women also being a puzzle to be solved rather than existing in their own right as characters. That gold old fast.

"Some might say that women ARE a puzzle to be solved..." First Doctor, no episode ever

JLC

Quote from: Richard on 28 December, 2017, 08:26:08 PM
The only let-down for me was Jodie Whittaker falling out of the Tardis, which is just what Matt Smith did in his first appearance. Someone should have vetoed that.
Matt Smith fell out but hung on to the TARDIS & got back in it. This is not what happened to Jodie.

Richard

It's still similar enough that it shouldn't have happened twice.

Mardroid

Imagine the internet meltdown if she dies from the fall and regenerates into a male again. Ouch!

Joking aside, I'm interested to see how she does in the role.

TordelBack

I dunno lads, aside from the very enjoyable First Doctor/Bradley banter, the always watchable Capaldi and Mackie and some fine battlefield visuals, this seemed to just be the usual over-long over-emotional drawn-out tosh with added in-story montages of past characters, like a second and third curtain call that no-one asked for. 

I haven't watched much Dr Who over the past few years, so maybe there was a huge payoff here that I was missing, but from where I was sitting (watching a repeat in the wee small hours), it was exactly the kind of 'I am the Doctor and I have LIVED and DIED and HOPED and DESPAIRED and GENERALLY EMOTED and THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING YOU, AND ESPECIALLY ME FOR BEING ME' for scene after scene that leads me to bailing on any given series after the second episode.

I must make time to watch the rest of the Capaldi years, he does hold the screen brilliantly, but from this snippet it looks like very little else changed. Even the regeneration and intro of the 13th Doctor looked exactly like all the others, bar the obvious.

Andy B

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 December, 2017, 05:43:18 PM
'I am the Doctor and I have LIVED and DIED and HOPED and DESPAIRED and GENERALLY EMOTED and THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING YOU, AND ESPECIALLY ME FOR BEING ME' for scene after scene

Couldn't agree more. I guess some people must like this stuff, but it's hard to understand why.

On the plus side, I really liked the Doctor and Bill last series, and was sorry that they were leaving so soon. But after watching this, I've had enough of them and can move on happily.

Also, a story would have been nice. And, having just made a bunch of gorgeous Tenth Planet cyberman costumes, why wouldn't you use them?

Thought Jodie Whittaker looked fantastic, just from a few seconds. Seemed fresh and fun. Just please no more speeches!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 December, 2017, 05:43:18 PM'I am the Doctor and I have LIVED and DIED and HOPED and DESPAIRED and GENERALLY EMOTED and THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING YOU, AND ESPECIALLY ME FOR BEING ME' for scene after scene that leads me to bailing on any given series after the second episode.

Especially odd when you have a great actor like Capaldi who could do this with a couple of looks to camera and companions.

Ps: some lasses may also be watching.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IndigoPrime

Quite. Capaldi was again wasted with that overblown nonsense. It would have been far more effective had this bit been much, much shorter, with him giving a single line that summed up his realisation about what it means to be The Doctor, before bursting into the regeneration sequence. (As for Bill, she was great, but her story is done. And that last series felt like all guns blazing to give those involved a good send-off. You wonder whether it would have happened had they all been signed up for another series. I kind of doubt it.)

As for Jodie Whittaker, the loss of the TARDIS will make for a decidedly different series, but I hope she gets some decent people writing for her (and – unlikely, I know – some strong script editing). Whatever happens, you can bet the internet will be full of idiot man-babies screaming: SEE? WE TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE RUBBISH WITH A GIRL! (Natch, actual girls will likely be jumping for joy that, for once, the hero of the hour is a woman.)

Dandontdare

On a rewatch I'd have to agree that last speech was overblown- "never be cruel, never be cowardly. Hate is always foolish and love is always wise" That's a pretty damn good line but it should have been left there.

And is there much point giving a speech to yourself during a process which means you may not even remember your own name?  ;)

I'm optimistically looking forward to JW, her two word intro was charming