Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

1986, oh my goodness, what a year!

Best writing. Alan Moore for Halo Jones book 3
Best art. Ian Gibson on Halo Jones book 3
Best overall thrill. Halo Jones book 3
Best month. April for the last episode of Halo Jones

Now cross out all my answers and put Wagner/Grant/Ezquerra and Rage! instead. It's so close. Can you award a joint Spinny?

Leigh S

It's been a strange year and I think you hit a nail on the head when you talked about how "Tharg's Head's Revisited" leaves you with an uncomfortable feeling. 

1986 is a great year, but we have all but lost Ron Smith on Dredd, the last man standing of the "Big Three". Ably replaced by Cam Kennedy, McCarthy and Higgins true, and with some budding work from Kitson and Robinson, but you do get the sense of manic behind the scenes juggling, especially when Robin Smith pops up on a strip.  We even get "Kenny Who?" meta-commenting on the Brain Drain to the Land of Stars and Stripes/Capes and Tights.

Ace also runs out of steam, Wulf is gone and Rogue has been wrestled from GFD into something not quite "right". Moore does some of his finest work on HJ III, but that's all he wrote.

So for me 1984 remains my favourite year - as stront a run of Stront, but backed up with more Moore.  Dredd gives us Question of Judgement and if City of the Damned fizzles out, it does that in 1985!

Favourite artist of 86: Glenn Fabry

Favourite writer of 86: Begrudgingly Alan Moore, the splitter! :)

Favoourite Story of 1986: RAGE!

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad - I did not expect to hear Fox turn up - what a treat! I haven't read any Action and know nothing of this 'dark web' of which you speak but it has been entertaining to follow the Re-Action episodes regardless.

The Action Summer special sounded quite good which struck me as odd considering the quality of early 2000AD specials and annuals which relied on a lot of old legacy stuff and rejected strips to fill them out.

On the 2000AD side of things you discussed in the podcast how we were moving from the 'gold age' to the 'silver age' from prog 501. I think this is fair and I stopped reading some time in mid 500's although not due to any particular concerns about quality, it was more that I was trying to be more grown-up and started subscribing to a music paper instead.

However, it is still thrill packed mix with Slaine The King, some solid Dredd, Strontium Dog and Bad Company. It seems like the best we have had in a while, so it is a good start for the 'silver age'.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 June, 2019, 07:54:53 PM
Thanks Conrad - I did not expect to hear Fox turn up - what a treat! I haven't read any Action and know nothing of this 'dark web' of which you speak but it has been entertaining to follow the Re-Action episodes regardless.

The Action Summer special sounded quite good which struck me as odd considering the quality of early 2000AD specials and annuals which relied on a lot of old legacy stuff and rejected strips to fill them out.

On the 2000AD side of things you discussed in the podcast how we were moving from the 'gold age' to the 'silver age' from prog 501. I think this is fair and I stopped reading some time in mid 500's although not due to any particular concerns about quality, it was more that I was trying to be more grown-up and started subscribing to a music paper instead.

However, it is still thrill packed mix with Slaine The King, some solid Dredd, Strontium Dog and Bad Company. It seems like the best we have had in a while, so it is a good start for the 'silver age'.

Yeah, there definitely isn't a massive jump from from golden age to the dark days of the mid 90s, it's an eventual decline. I'm really excited for 1987, there's some great stuff there,  but it's definitely different in pace and tone that the previous years. There are new artists, new writers, in a year it's a whole different prog!

I for sure wish there was more collected Action. the Hookjaw collection is out there, but I'd love to see at least Dredger out there as well, if not all of the stories.

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 10 June, 2019, 08:00:20 AM
1986, oh my goodness, what a year!

Best writing. Alan Moore for Halo Jones book 3
Best art. Ian Gibson on Halo Jones book 3
Best overall thrill. Halo Jones book 3
Best month. April for the last episode of Halo Jones

Now cross out all my answers and put Wagner/Grant/Ezquerra and Rage! instead. It's so close. Can you award a joint Spinny?

The rules of the Spinnies are deliberately vague, but are also about forcing you to make hard choices! :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

1986 - a tricky year, with some sense of slowdown.

Best Art: Judge Dredd, Riders On The Storm
Brendan McCarthy does Dredd.  Surreal, exciting, fresh: and it works.

Best Writing: Judge Dredd, Letter From A Democrat
The sense that something's wrong with Justice Department.  It's like the strip matures right here.

Best Overall Thrill: The Ballad Of Halo Jones, Book Three
Just hands down the best thrill in the prog for the entire year.  It's up against Rage: but Rage is comparatively one-note, and drags a bit at 21 episodes.  Halo Jones has gravity and leaves you wanting more.

Honorable Mentions:

Judge Dredd, The Warlord: Cam Kennedy doing the good stuff on a taught supernatural thriller.
Strontium Dog, Rage: a bitter tragedy, a bleak western.
Anderson Psi Division, The Possessed: amazing work from Brett Ewins.
Nemesis the Warlock Book Six, Torquemurder: Bryan Talbot lifts up a bizarre fantasy.
Metalzoic: Kevin O'Neill and a unique concept from Mills.
Judge Dredd, Atlantis: Brit-Cit judges and more gorgeous art from McCarthy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lobo Baggins

QuoteCan't think of a name for the Star Lord podcast

Star Lord Trek.

I had a Star Lord of the Rings one as well, but I didn't write it down and now I've completely forgotten it...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 11 June, 2019, 07:54:46 AM
QuoteCan't think of a name for the Star Lord podcast

Star Lord Trek.

I had a Star Lord of the Rings one as well, but I didn't write it down and now I've completely forgotten it...

Who are you quoting here?  The only mention I see on this thread is your reply!

SpaceSpinner2000

At the end of the most recent episode we talk for a moment about what we'd call the show if we start talking about Starlord, now that we've getting to the end of Action. Starlord is a tough one, because a lot of these other titles work on with an RE in front of the title (ReAction, for  instance) but ReStarlord isn't as good!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

skurvy

You could title the Starlord, and inevitable Tornado, podcasts of the future Re:Merge. Because, you know, they both merge with 2000ad.

sheridan

Quote from: skurvy on 12 June, 2019, 07:01:47 AM
You could title the Starlord, and inevitable Tornado, podcasts of the future Re:Merge. Because, you know, they both merge with 2000ad.

Though in the terminology of the time they were 'matched' (as in 'hatch, match and dispatch') - so that'd be re-match...

The Monarch

RE:ach for the starlord

err sorry

M.I.K.

Has no one suggested "Starlord ReLorded" yet?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed fourteenth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with the Action Summer Special! This time we'll hang out with deadly wildlife, fight in World War 2 AND against Napoleon, and check out prequels to several top Action stories!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 June, 2019, 06:25:39 PM
Has no one suggested "Starlord ReLorded" yet?

I like it!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-eighth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1986. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1986 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1987 from both 2000AD and our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The Monarch

geez we are coming closer to the first 2000ad issue i ever owned (534) not when i became a regular reader tho that was in a certain forthcoming dredd annual in about 3 years later