Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I just got confirmation that I've been opted out of the covers volume. They totally ignored the query about when my books might actually show up. (Almost six weeks between the previous two deliveries. Now six weeks again since the previous one. And they grumpily told me on Facebook they ship every 28 days and I'm "not behind". Sure. Obviously, issue 47 being on sale is a figment of my imagination.)

IndigoPrime

Finally got a response. They've officially listed my books as missing, and so I've been promised four in the dispatch apparently going out today. We'll see.

sintec

Mine arrived yesterday; in a crushed and torn box which was then left out in the rain by the delivery driver.  Luckily the contents were undamaged.

No idea why Hachette insist on using Hermes or these stupid oversized boxes.  It must be costing them in replacements.

IndigoPrime

Last time I ordered many items at once, I had about a 50% damage rate. And so I'm "looking forward" to asking for half my books to be replaced, assuming they actually show up in a week or two. That said, for all Hachette's service, this is the first time my books haven't shown up at all.

Dark Jimbo

Exciting news about the Alan Moore book - all the original colour pages will be in colour!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 June, 2019, 03:02:57 PM
Exciting news about the Alan Moore book - all the original colour pages will be in colour!

Not forgetting that the black and white pages will be in black and white!

sintec

Towards the end of England's Glory Stickleback uses the phrase:

"There'll be a hot time in the old town tonight"

Which rang a bell with me as a lyric from the song Pigswill by Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4VZcHpKsTg

Is Ian a Foetus fan I wondered?

But then knowing Jim Thirlwell (the man behind Foetus) to be another magpie when it comes to lyrics/melodies/art I thought I'd do a little googling.  Turns out the phrase dates back much further to ~1896 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27ll_Be_a_Hot_Time_in_the_Old_Town_Tonight

And the song was featured in Citizen Kane.  Well you learn something new everyday.

abelardsnazz

I thought it originated from Jack Nicholson's Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. You can never be over-educated, and all that.

Dark Jimbo

That's not even its Tooth debut - it was used in Tales of Telguuth before Stickleback (prog 1334)!
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

I wonder if the authors were riffing on the Batman reference or some of the early music/film ones (or both)

sintec

Update to my graph showing the number of stories we've had from each Prog in the collections so far.

Changes:

• Everything up to date with my most recent deliveries (issues 45 & 46).
    • I've removed some double counting which was spotted by another user and had led to me erroneously reporting a 288, 292, and 293 as 5 story progs - they weren't.
    • Also updated the data to count double episodes as 2 stories and the full length episode of Eurocrash as 5 stories.  I'm sure I've missed some of these though as I've not been able to find a comprehensive list of extended length episodes (if anyone has this data in an accessble format that'd be marvelous).
    New complete Progs:

• Stickleback has given us our first complete progs from the modern(ish) era with issues 1569-1573
    • Rogue has completed the set for a bunch of issues 330, 335-341, 343-345, 358-359, 363
    • The spike at 1138 is the extended episode of Eurocrash which took over the whole of that issue.
    I suspect the forthcoming Alan Moore volume will give us a few more complete issues from the 200-330 range as there are lots of 4s amongst those issues at the moment.

sheridan

Quote from: sintec on 15 June, 2019, 10:42:19 AM
Update to my graph showing the number of stories we've had from each Prog in the collections so far.

• The spike at 1138 is the extended episode of Eurocrash which took over the whole of that issue.

Here's a spike at 1138 ;)

sintec

I see Abaslom is returning to the prog for what looks like the second half of a story which is part of a continuity going back a few hundred pages.  How much of that continuity do we expect the 2 Caballistics books to cover?
Is it worth holding fire on reading the currently running Abaslom story until I've caught up? 
Am I likely to spoiler the older stories but jumping in now?
Will the current story make much sense without the knowledge of what came before?

I've put together some speculation on the potential contents of the 2 vols we know we're getting in 2020 based on strip counts from Barney:

Vol 1 (188 pages)
Going Underground (Progs 1322-1326) (32)
Moving In (Progs 1331-1333) (15)
Breaking Out (Progs 1337-1340) (21)
Downtime (Progs 1363-1368) (30)
Krystalnacht (Prog [2004]) (10)
Picking Up The Pieces (Prog 1400) (5)
Creepshow (Prog 1401-1408) (40)
Weird War Tales (Prog [2005]) (10)
Safe House (Progs 1420-1424) (25)

Vol 2: (205 pages)
Northern Dark (Progs 1443-1448) (30)
Strange Bedfellows (Prog [2006]) (10)
Changelings (Progs 1469-1474) (30)
Ashes (Progs 1551-1558) (40)
The Nativity (Prog [2008]) (10)
Visiting Hour (Prog 2111) (wa this another 10?)
Absalom: Noblesse Oblige (Progs 1732-1739) (40)
Absalom: Ghosts of London Progs 1765-1771) (35)

Which would give us all of Cabalistics and the first couple of Absalom stories. That leaves quite a chunk of Absalom missing though.  Is there enough left for an extension volume I wonder?  If the story just starting is another 40 pages then it might just have the page count (I think that's about 160 pages of strip). That's going to be a long way out if it happens at all though. hmmmmm.

IndigoPrime

I guess it depends how big those volumes end up. To date, the 2000 AD ones have been skinnier than the Dredd ones, and so your Vols 1 and 2 seem about right. You could possibly sneak Northern Dark into Vol 1, thereby adding a bit more Absalom, but I've no idea. My guess is we'll basically get the entire Ghosts of London trade (Noblesse Oblige/Sick Leave/Ghosts of London) tacked on the end of the second Cabs book (and comprising about half of the content of that final 2000 AD UC volume).

Dark Jimbo

I'll try and find where I saw it mentioned, but we were told ages ago that we'll get the first Absalom story in the second Cabs book.

I would definitely hold fire on reading the current story, sintec, as its the final ever Absalom tale...!
@jamesfeistdraws