Main Menu

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Goaty, 10 April, 2017, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bolt-01

You're a bad man, Tips.

I was having a drink when I pressed 'next page'...

Proudhuff

Quote from: radiator on 19 November, 2017, 09:08:17 AM

the film as a whole feels very messy and overstuffed - too many characters spread too thinly, and momentous events happening in too quick a succession for any of them to have any real dramatic weight. It felt very obvious to me that the writers had been given a bullet point list of plot points that had to happen, and were tasked with joining the dots between them.

I know its not a popular POV but this is how I feel about the whole MCU, but as TB says I just don't go to see them any more but catch up when its out on DVDVD...
DDT did a job on me

JamesC

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 December, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Quote from: radiator on 19 November, 2017, 09:08:17 AM

the film as a whole feels very messy and overstuffed - too many characters spread too thinly, and momentous events happening in too quick a succession for any of them to have any real dramatic weight. It felt very obvious to me that the writers had been given a bullet point list of plot points that had to happen, and were tasked with joining the dots between them.

I know its not a popular POV but this is how I feel about the whole MCU, but as TB says I just don't go to see them any more but catch up when its out on DVDVD...

No, I don't think that's an unpopular (or rare) opinion. The Marvel movies have almost transcended the concept of 'movies' now, and feel more like episodes of a TV show, because thats basically what they are.

While they are reliably enjoyable, I think they're in danger of becoming skippable - for instance Homecoming and Doctor Strange were I think the first two MCU movies since the original Thor that I didn't go to see at the cinema, and Black Panther - while looking stunningly imaginative and novel on a purely visual level, looks incredibly bland and predictable narratively.

Keef Monkey

Yeah, Thor and Guardians are the only two series that we're bothered about going to see in the cinema nowadays, everything else we just wait and watch some time down the line on Netflix or if someone loans us the disc. Even then there's no rush, took me a couple of years to see Antman and still haven't seen Spiderman despite it apparently being very good.

There's just too many of them and we don't go to the cinema often enough for it to be a Marvel movie every time.

Frank

I thought Ragnarok was fun but patchy. Waititi's other films are great, though - and so is the self-aware marketing for his upcoming Jo Jo Rabbit. Who'd have thought you'd ever piss yourself laughing at one of those again?

It's also a clever way of disseminating information that preempts some of the criticism that will come the film's way. Here's a link to the trailer - Disney's head must be turning in its fridge at the thought of his fortune being used to make fun of Nazis.