Main Menu

Jeff Hawke - Overlord

Started by Wils, 20 December, 2007, 11:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

This has *finally* got a reprint. The page count is slightly higher than the old Titan version but I've no idea what extra content it may contain. It's set for a February release, is hardbacked and touted as £13.59 on Amazon. Let's hope that this is swiftly followed by at *least* a reprint of The Ambassadors.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mlGj652ML._SS500_.jpg">

Wils

The Ambassadors is due out next August. Should've read the entire page I was looking at before posting. Twat. ;)

paulvonscott

You may be a twat Wils, but you have great taste!  Jeff Hawke is a damn good comic book and I can't wait for this.

I'm hoping for one extra story at least, so the next volume has previously unprinted material in, plus lots of extras from living legend Sidney Jordan.

JamesC

I bought the old Titan editions off ebay earlier in the year and was blown away! Do you reckon there's any chance of new Bolland covers on the new editions?

Tweak72

2 things i didnt know
1 Wils was a Tw*t
2 Anything about Jeff Hawke - Overlord
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Floyd-the-k

pigeonholing Wils 'twat' status for the moment; what's Jeff Hawke? What makes it good? I've never heard of it. Of course I can look it up on wikipedia, but I'd like to hear from the boarders in the know

cheers,

Floyd

paulvonscott

There probably is a good chnace Bollan will do more covers once the two he'd already done have been used.  He has drawn the covers to classic Titan collections of the Steel Claw and Albion origins, was a big fan of Hawke, even drew a few later episodes and has pencils for a cover to the third volume that was never released.

If you get the Art of Brian Bolland Book (like wot I did for Christmas) you can see for yourself.  By the way, it's a great book, with a dizzying array of material and biographical info.  Truly lovely!  And if you're getting that you'd be a fool not to get 'Bolland Strips' as well.

As for Hawke, it starts as a sort of british pulp sci-fi strip, and really takes off when Willie Patterson started writing for it (the start of the Titan reprints).  Then it becomes one of the best SF comics of all time.  Hawke himself is square jawed and decent enough, but it's the aliens who have the real personality and really carry the story.  The stories are intelligent and sublime, the art sophisticated and stunning.  It ran for nearly 7000 episodes, and was heavily reprinted in Europe, but sadly neglected in it's home country.  

I regret not buying the Titan books in the 80's, I was tempted but thought it would be much more old fashioned and boring compared to 2000AD.  In fact the strips, made in the 50's, are nearer the calibre of Alan Moore and Brian Bolland.

And Wils isn't really a twat.

Well, it is Christmas :)

Tweak72

Thank god for that, I was worried. Yay Wils
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

GermanAndy

Thanks for the news!!! Just ordered mine :-)

JOE SOAP

I have both of the old Titan books, well recommended:http://www.silveracre.com/auctions/2007/nov/uscomics/GN2011/DSC00027.JPG">

JOE SOAP

http://www.silveracre.com/auctions/2007/nov/uscomics/GN2011/DSC00028.JPG">

JOE SOAP

It's a wonder Hawke didn't make an appearance (in the Dan Dare/Terry Anderson, retro future bit) in the Black Dossier?

JOE SOAP