Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

You've heard of must-watch tv, Under the Dome is hate-watch tv.  The season 2 cliffhanger is hilariously bad on every conceivable level, and yet the season 3 opener somehow manages to double-down.
The only good thing to come out of it has been that if you're a BKV fan, he seems to be working like a carthorse making new comics rather than spend any more time on UtD.

Hawkmumbler

Dragon Ball Super is turning out to be remarkably fun. Helps that it's scripted by Toriyama and is deliberatly diverging from the majority of Dragon Ball Z and instead trying to capture the silly action series aisthetic of Dragon Ball. Still no sign of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman yet though....

HdE

Every time I see Hawkmonger's tag next the 'last post' icon in this thread, part of me hopes he's watching anime! :p

And, oddly enough, so am I. The weekend approaches, and with it, the next dose of Gundam OO. Bloody hell - THAT'S how you do a giant robot TV show!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Heh, i've started watching anime again as a form of background static while I clean or draw. Watched quite a bit in recent weeks but never really bothered to keep the tread updated.

Anyway, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club was fun, a sports series about five young swimmers trying to make it in the professional competative swimming world. Very light weight viewing, mainly episodic and very well animated. Just a fun little series that didn't command and require much thought or attention, but as someone who swam competitively in high school it was a fun romp all the same. 

Jojos Bizarre Adventure Part 3 Stardust Crusaders wrapped up it's second (and last) season in fine form wih the four part epic DIO'S WORLD story arc. Beautifully animated and very, very true to the original material (of which it's no secret i'm as big a fan you can get). Also, steam roller.

I tried getting into Overlord, thinking it would be a fun fantasy romp, but turned out it was just another dreary "Player stuck in virtual MMO" type series (yes, thats a genre now). At least the main character was kinda fun, in that he was a completely unlikeable bellend and made no attempts to better himself because he's self aware to the point he knows he's the villein. Not really reccomended but at least it has a kick arse opening.

Other things i've just kind of half watched include World Trigger, Food Wars!, and a re-viewing of Shojo Kakumei Utena. All enjoyable in their own way (Utena is a masterpiece, who am I kidding) but Ushio & Tora and DBS are the only NEW series i'm currently watching...

HdE

Gawd yeah - Japan is really doing the 'real people stuck in high stakes video game' schtick to death. I get a lot of amusement from seeing all the back and forth over Sword Art Online. But it's also kind of depressing. I mean, if people would focus on Log Horizon, which is properly decent, as opposed to harping on about SAO, maybe there'd be a bit more focus on quality shows over such dreadfully inconsistent pap.

I'm currently too strapped for cash to indulge my Japanese cartoon habit, but I'm pumped about Legend of the Galactic Heroes getting licensed Stateside. I can see that being a show some of the board regulars here would enjoy. 

TordelBack

Sense8 on Netflix. Can't decide whether it was the worst thing I've seen in ages, or the best - either way it was a huge amount of fun. So much of it is gimmicky, hammy and predictable, but then it does things with all those flaws that are unlike anything I've ever seen, and almost impossible to believe you're watching on 'television'.

It's all such stilted rubbish, with hardly a single line you could believe a human being uttering, woefully uneven pacing...but: the Nairobi car chase, the cringe-inducing (or was it?) 4 Non Blondes singalong and the Bollywood dance number, the polysexual mental orgy, the lab breakout, the uplifting nature of Lito's story arc, the neat inversion of Wolfgang's... Somehow in its dog's dinner of cliches it manages to be something utterly unique, and quite gorgeous.

Feck it I don't know what to think, but I do know I'll be watching the next season, even just to ponder logistics that must make Game of Thrones seem like a production of Waiting for Godot.

Mardroid

I loved the four non blondes bit.

But then again I like that song a lot.

And kudos to them for sticking a entire cheesy Bollywood style musical number into an episode.

A bit of.cheese can be good fun sometimes.

I can understand some people really cringeing at these sequences though, which makes me admire the production team's audacity in including them.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 July, 2015, 02:12:24 PM
I loved the four non blondes bit.

So did I. No, wait, I hated it. No, no, I loved it. Or did I? Lawks, I'm confused.

You put you finger on it, there Mardroid: audacity. It's just plain audacious, and it's great to live at a time where such productions are possible and accessible.

Satanist

Mr Robot - started off well and has just got better, it'll have to fuck up the ending bigtime to spoil my enjoyment. Imagine Breaking Bad crossed with Fight Club and you're about there.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Satanist

Watched the whole first season of Rick and Morty over the weekend and it may just be my new favourite thing. Dark, cynical, sweary and yet at times quite touching.

means nothing to anyone I know so I'm sticking it here...

"I'M MR MEESEEKS LOOK AT ME"
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

We finished all 5 seasons of ALIAS. Overall a thumbs up but seasons 1 and 2 were the best. You can see it and M:I influencing each other in some kind of bizarre time loop.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DaveGYNWA

Got around to watching Sons of Anarchy - had put it off for ages as I know that the third season is going to do my head in (bad Irish accents) so slowly working our way up to that. The accents on the couple of Irish characters in season 1 didn't annoy me at all - season 2 and we've got some dodgy accents creeping in (one of them from a character from the first season too....so it's regressing)

Fingers crossed I don't throw something at the tele in about 11 episodes time.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Skullmo

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 10 August, 2015, 04:16:47 PM
Got around to watching Sons of Anarchy - had put it off for ages as I know that the third season is going to do my head in (bad Irish accents) so slowly working our way up to that. The accents on the couple of Irish characters in season 1 didn't annoy me at all - season 2 and we've got some dodgy accents creeping in (one of them from a character from the first season too....so it's regressing)

Fingers crossed I don't throw something at the tele in about 11 episodes time.

There are some great bits in that series
It's a joke. I was joking.

Tiplodocus

Watched the pilot for a thing called INTELLIGENCE last night on Lovefilm. Josh Holloway stars (and produces I think). It looks like Chuck but without any jokes. Or Castle but without any jokes or any charisma in the leads.  I don't think I shall be watching any mor ethan the 43 minutes of my life it has already taken.  Not actively bad, just 100% box ticking exercise in a buddy TV series with really flat action sequences.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HdE

That rings a bell. If I recall correctly it got almost instantly cancelled.