Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

Quote from: I, Cosh on 26 January, 2021, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: Qwertyburger on 26 January, 2021, 01:50:15 PM
I'm guessing the collection will have Dead Eyes in it.
Makes sense. Every strip up to Dead Eyes gives you 226 pages and leaves 243 for a second volume.
According to the Hachette website the first Indigo Prime volume is 192 pages which is too short to include both Dead Eyes and Fervent and Lobe (which is 53 pages including the Winter Special story).

My guess is that the latter isn't included but 'Solstice' is (even though it focuses on a character whose only previous appearance is in 'The Issigri Variations' and refers back directly to that story). Maybe they think Fervent and Lobe would fit better with Tyranny Rex after 'Woody Allen' and 'Soft Bodies'? That would make for a big Tyranny book.

sintec

Quote from: The Corinthian on 03 March, 2021, 08:52:50 AM
According to the Hachette website the first Indigo Prime volume is 192 pages

I wouldn't trust the page counts on there too much. It lists Greysuit as 182 pages which would only be enough for the first 3 stories but we got all 4 stories and the page count is more like 250.

Rara Avis

I just got these yesterday - I still don't understand why I am a month behind everyone else and get my subs long after they are available in the shops.

IndigoPrime

I got Fiends/Greysuit a week ago. I don't think any subs were earlier.

Rara Avis

Some forum members received their copies on 9th February ... so 3 weeks ... I exagerate a smidge ..

IndigoPrime

We're they subs copies, though, or people with standing orders?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Rara Avis on 05 March, 2021, 06:10:47 PM
Some forum members received their copies on 9th February ... so 3 weeks ... I exagerate a smidge ..

That was me, I think. I pre-order the books I want from Forbidden Planet.
@jamesfeistdraws

Rara Avis

Yes it was you Dark Jimbo but I didn't want to name names but what? That's even worse!!

I'm really not getting how all this is supposed to work.

IndigoPrime

Subscribers usually get their books early. By with partworks, it seems that doesn't happen and they're send partway through the cycle.

sintec

It's been a mixed bag this month I have to say.  Fiends is really superb stuff, the original run is absolutely classic 2000AD. Ezquerra delivers some great art and the story rattles along (maybe my favourite thing so far from Finley-Day). It's revival many years later is also great stuff. Haven't quite got to the end of the book yet (just finished 1812) I've been eeking it out inbetween chapters of Greysuit which I'm finding a bit of a slog.

Greysuit seems to suffer from similar issues to Skip Tracer - I don't really care about the main characters and I find my self struggling to remember what happened a few pages ago. I can imagine this felt interminable when it ran in the prog with a 1 week gap between every 6 pages. The first chapter just seemed to end as well - there didn't seem to be any climax - it felt more like the middle of a story that concluded in the 2nd chapter.  Still I think this is the first book I've struggled with in many months, with a series like this there's always going to be a couple of volumes that don't hit the mark. In comparison I decided to try the new DC series (the first couple of books were cheap enough that it seemed a good oppotunity to dip my toe in to that pond). Can't say I'm hugely impressed and I don't think I'll be continuing that.

IndigoPrime

I've found the various DC series great for cherry picking and getting a few select books as cheap HCs. Same with the Marvel one, for which I bought and read the first 60, resold then on eBay and then just re-bought Marvels.

With the 2000 AD run, I think it's been solid from an objective quality standpoint, beyond the DC/Marvel books and also the Dredd series, which could have ditched at least a dozen volumes. But I didn't need to read Conspiracysuit again and am really not thrilled about Finn, which I suspect is going to look particularly bad with its Icke-era thinking and problems. It's an odd pick.

The Monarch

wait finns gonna be in the extension? i didn't know that

IndigoPrime

Yep. I'm sure that'll make some people happy. Given the strip's problem regarding depiction, I think it's a mistake, but there you go.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Without dragging the Meg floppies out of the box to check- is there anything likely to be in the hardback that wasn't reprinted in the freebies?

SBT

The Monarch

I don't think anything beyond the first two series were ever reprinted