Main Menu

Dredd World - Mega Cities World Map

Started by Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty), 17 March, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Maps back up and available now.
I am thinking of redoing this in a vector format so if changes need to be made please let me know.
Thanks for the input thus far.

Never rub another mans rhubarb

vzzbux

I don't know if I dreamed it but at one point wasn't the western seaboard of Australia depicted as an island K'in years and years ago?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Taryn Tailz

Brilliant work. Exactly the kind of map I've been looking for.

Only problem is its making me wish we could have more stories set in the likes of Antarctic City or Uranium City.  :D

IndigoPrime

Quote from: vzzbux on 18 March, 2012, 07:19:39 AM
I don't know if I dreamed it but at one point wasn't the western seaboard of Australia depicted as an island K'in years and years ago?
Shown as 'Perth' in Oz, wasn't it? Thing is, maps have clearly just been drawn quickly by artists over the years, so there's never really been a great deal of consensus anyway. This map's fab, though—a vector one would be lovely.

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 18 March, 2012, 12:03:35 PM
Brilliant work. Exactly the kind of map I've been looking for.

Only problem is its making me wish we could have more stories set in the likes of Antarctic City or Uranium City.  :D

It does make you think what other stories are out there. Ron Smith drew some fantastic Pan Andes Judges years ago and havent figured much since which I think is a real shame.

Thanks for the comments its appreciated. I will start on a vector version and update the type and colours so its more distinct and clear. This isnt an excercise in "how great this map" looks for me its about getting an accurate overview, just thought id make that clear.

Taryn Tailz

It would be really cool to have a list of each story that a particular city has been in. So for example Antarctic City would list: Wynter, Harmony (I think that was set there) and any others strips set in Antarctic City.

I imagine this could be quite a difficult thing for anybody to do mind.

nicklarr

In the recent Chaos-story there's a couple of new European places we haven't heard of before (in the prog)

Prague Enclave - the Czech Protectorate
New Malaga
Firenzina (the Da Vinci International Hoverport)
Berlin

Great map by the way!  :thumbsup:

The Adventurer

Isn't there a bridge between MC-1 and Brit-Cit? Or am I remembering something that doesn't exist?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 March, 2012, 08:10:46 PM
Isn't there a bridge between MC-1 and Brit-Cit? Or am I remembering something that doesn't exist?
There's a tunnel between MC-1 and Brit-Cit, but the exit to Murphyville is a bridge, due to a lack of cash.

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 18 March, 2012, 06:44:03 PM
It would be really cool to have a list of each story that a particular city has been in. So for example Antarctic City would list: Wynter, Harmony (I think that was set there) and any others strips set in Antarctic City.

I imagine this could be quite a difficult thing for anybody to do mind.

Its feasible but would need some serious time taken up with a flash programmer. Basically what that would be would be a good portion of Barney in a interface.

WhitBloke

Absolutely agree with you about Ron Smith's Pan-Andes stuff in The Sugar Beat, Kowalsky, but remembering that yarn led me also to remember another mega-locale (with a Ron Smith connection no less) that could be added to your geographic labours should you be planning to cram a few more places in.*
Puerto Nova - perhaps a bit obscuro but mentioned a couple of times in Judge Dredd, though I can't recall ever having actually seen it.  A wild stab in the rad-mists would place it in Puerto Rico, but I'm just guessing here.  Unlike the Pan-Andes Conurb, I can't remember it exporting much in the way of ilicit crops but it did export some wonderful Ron Smith pyrokinetic mayhem back in the day.  I'm away from The Library at the moment so I can't recount the progs involved right now should you require them.

*Bloody dandy work, man.  I think between yourself and John Caliber, all you'll soon leave for the rest of us to compile will be the list of MC1 Adverts and "Holding Posts I Have Known And Soiled."  Fabulous.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Thanks Whitebloke. I think for the sake of cannon if it has been mentioned in Dredd's world then it should be in there so Peurto Nova is in. Unless anyone has any complaints we will take it as included. Peurto Rico sounds right to me.

Im just wondering what the best way for this is to go ahead. If its best to create a map then highlight areas with anchors which then drop down to a listing on a web page ? That way more information and timelines could be added. Alternatively a FLASH Map with interaction connected to a database (call to flash gurus with actionscipt experience needed). What do you think ?

Mardroid

I agree with other posters- a very nice map.

Something, I'm curious about, and forgive me if the answer is rather obvious. Is 'The Cursed Earth' more a nickname for the radioactive lands used by the Megacity and mutant population rather than an official title? I ask as there's nowhere on the map actually labelled The Cursed Earth, although I of course understand it's most of the radioactive area between the Mega cities.

Quote from: nicklarr on 18 March, 2012, 07:53:31 PM
In the recent Chaos-story there's a couple of new European places we haven't heard of before (in the prog)

Prague Enclave - the Czech Protectorate
New Malaga
Firenzina (the Da Vinci International Hoverport)
Berlin

Great map by the way!  :thumbsup:

Excellent stuff there will include these also. Just to confirm the following placements
Prague Enclave = Prague (doh!)
New Malaga = Malaga
Firenzina = Florence (north of Vatican City)
Berlin as is or larger land mass for this and all of the above ?

Also these names are they correct?

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 March, 2012, 08:13:51 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 March, 2012, 08:10:46 PM
There's a tunnel between MC-1 and Brit-Cit, but the exit to Murphyville is a bridge, due to a lack of cash.

Tunnel going in :)