Main Menu

Samples from March '09 - KevLev

Started by Kev Levell, 10 August, 2009, 09:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

As a vocal member of this newly created 'creative common' it would be remiss not to present the work I've done and submit to criticism here. Please feel free to visit my blog and comment there also - I'd appreciate anything you have to say.

Here are the last round of Judge Dredd samples I produced. I did three pages fully coloured, another in ink and one final page as pencils. I showed them to Tharg at the FP 2000 signing for Thrill-Power Overload and this is what he had to say:

Quote"...try to aim for a more naturalistic style, and see if you can tone down the more cartoony elements of your art. 2000 AD strips should be bold and powerful, so I'm looking for art that really leaps off the page.

The script was "The Informant" from prog 1607 if you wanted to compare.

There are a few things I'd do differently if I were to have another go at this script, but overall I'm fairly happy with these pages.
Since these samples, I have done another couple of strips - for our own Bolt-01 no less - but you'll have to wait to see those...

Emperor

Is the script online? I wanted to compare both versions and thought it might help.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kev Levell

No, the script isn't online, sorry. I only have a printed copy of it.

Emperor

Quote from: KevLev on 17 August, 2009, 04:53:51 PMNo, the script isn't online, sorry. I only have a printed copy of it.

OK no worries.

What I'll do is go through what you've done and get my thoughts straight, then see how it worked in prog 1607 to compare and contrast the two.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Emperor

Sorry I never did get around to it, if you are still interested I can throw in some thoughts.

Anyway I didn't want to add this to the attempts at sample scripts thread (as the script isn't publicly available) but I also found Neil Roberts shot at this story, interesting to compare and contrast two different shots at the same story.

http://kneelrobots.blogspot.com/2009/10/2000ad-sample.html

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Emperor on 21 February, 2010, 05:50:40 PM
Sorry I never did get around to it, if you are still interested I can throw in some thoughts.

Anyway I didn't want to add this to the attempts at sample scripts thread (as the script isn't publicly available) but I also found Neil Roberts shot at this story, interesting to compare and contrast two different shots at the same story.

Nice find, Emps! Very interesting to compare the two- not least so we can see the inner working of their minds in the strip club...

Emperor

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 21 February, 2010, 06:52:16 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 21 February, 2010, 05:50:40 PM

Nice find, Emps! Very interesting to compare the two- not least so we can see the inner working of their minds in the strip club...

Freud'd have a field day, I tell ya!!