Main Menu

Whiteout

Started by pauljholden, 12 August, 2009, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Hey, new blog post, talking about various methods of applying white onto artwork. Stuff some may know already...

http://www.pauljholden.com/blog/2009/08/12/tools-of-the-trade-whiteout/

-pj

Bouwel

Nice post!

Acrylic white is the only white I've found to produce a true blanking effect without showing through the underlying colour. Of course I've only used it on stained wood and the like. I use Daler Rowney F.W. artists inks.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dog Deever

I've found some acrylics to be a bit thin for covering black- not cheap ones either- Daler Rowney System 3 stuff is maybe only student quality, but it isn't cheap and is a bit thin.
I had to do a restock at work and my boss is always nipping my head about costs (hey- it is Scotland) and I had look around and found stuff called Chromacryl Acrylic Paint. It's cheap as fuck and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was bollocks- but it actually has more body than the System 3 stuff. We buy 2litre tubs and when the bastards nick it, it can still suffer a little watering to stretch it out a bit (and still be thicker than the system 3 stuff).
If you're on a shoestring, get yourself a 1 litre bottle for around 7 quid. The tubes just dry up with acylics if you aren't using large amounts regularly- the tubs have more paint and hence are 'wetter' (is suppose) so it lasts ages.

But most of the cheap stuff is bollocks and a totally false economy.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.